Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 94

Thread: Kamaka Hepa

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That's the best point yet. However it assumes a high level of maturity in a still young fella.
    Not assuming anything. Hoping he sees it the same way, but Austin has a lot of attractions. I don't have the level of hope I had w/ Clarke here, but far from hopeless either. 50/50, optimistically, but maybe closer to 1 in 3 would be my guess range.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,007

    Default

    I'm not sure why I'm feeling so positive about Hepa signing with GU. Call it intuitive.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'm not sure why I'm feeling so positive about Hepa signing with GU. Call it intuitive.

    Go Zags!!!
    Because he likes how competitive the program has been and will continue to be. Guys can now see themselves winning a national championship now that these past Zags have gotten them within inches. This coaching staff has done a phenomenal job building up this program steadily. If not Hepa, I'm sure they'll get someone as promising.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,973

    Default

    Sign Hepa and Sotto and the Philippines can be our new Canada.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Because he likes how competitive the program has been and will continue to be. Guys can now see themselves winning a national championship now that these past Zags have gotten them within inches. This coaching staff has done a phenomenal job building up this program steadily. If not Hepa, I'm sure they'll get someone as promising.
    Nice post, Mal
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Someone needs to tell Kameka that basketball is an afterthought after football, no matter how bad the record.
    This is why no true football power is also a basketball power or vice versa! I mean think of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, UConn or Arizona football teams...

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    This is why no true football power is also a basketball power or vice versa! I mean think of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, UConn or Arizona football teams...
    Florida has 3 football Nat champs and 2 basketball.....not bad

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Florida has 3 football Nat champs and 2 basketball.....not bad

    The UCLA Bruins Men's basketball with 11. Although UCLA is often considered a football powerhouse, it only holds one national title in football, earned in 1954.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    This is why no true football power is also a basketball power or vice versa! I mean think of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, UConn or Arizona football teams...
    especially in Texas.

    Smart is an able recruiter though.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Sign Hepa and Sotto and the Philippines can be our new Canada.
    It would be fun to see Manny Pacquiao at a game or two.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,707

    Default

    There are some subtle (maybe not-so-subtle) things in that article that point to GU being a better fit, and Hepa being well aware of it. Consider these comments regarding Texas vs. Gonzaga style of play.

    Texas:
    Smart and assistant Darrin Horn left a big impression on Hepa. Especially when it came to giving him a vision about how a stretch four like him would fit in.

    “Just talking to coach Smart and coach Horn about basketball they really cleared up concerns for me and how I feel about if my game would fit there," said Hepa. "They have a style of play and he really cleared those up for me and my family. I really feel like they could help me get better.

    “They showed me facts about how they’ve changed the way they play and some of their basketball concepts.”
    Gonzaga:
    While Hepa had some questions about fit with Texas, it is Gonzaga's track record with players like him combined with a very competitive program that has caught his eye.

    “For me it’s their track record of guys that they have had at my position," said Hepa. "I think that right there is something that really stands out to me because they can really develop that position. If you look back at them those skilled stretch four guys have been really important and they’ve been able to help them beyond college. They have a blueprint and it's been very successful for them."
    It is notable that Hepa planned on on meeting academic advisors and playing pickup ball during his GU visit, while Smart went about showing off the school and assuring him that they have changed their system and the fit is good. If-- and I'm not sure how big that "if" is-- it is between Texas and GU, and it is purely a basketball decision, it seems to me that Hepa is leaning toward Gonzaga.

    https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ps-for-gonzaga
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 09-09-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: link added

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    We should change this to a football thread��. Hope Hepas visit is starting off well.
    America's Team!

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,195

    Default

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...exas-longhorns

    This might be the best reason Hepa might chose us over TX. Smart's loaded up the small and power forward spots with superior, higher ranked players. Hepa would get lots more playing time in Spokane. Smart's really picked up recruiting in Austin. Posted earlier in this thread. Becoming clearer as the month goes on.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 09-10-2017 at 12:20 AM.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    100% agree!!

    NOTHING at Gonzaga has anything to do with FB.

    Take it someplace else and quit annoying the electrons with this drivel....... (and several readers who come here for information that's pertinent)

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,226

    Default

    There some "football" schools who invest money in basketball and who do care about, despite the fans obvious allegiance towards football. Florida is a good example of this. They have a great AD. So you get the fantastic hiring of Mike White to replace Billy D., despite his inexperience or lack of "big name" status.

    And then there are other "football" schools who don't care about basketball, and if their football team ever gets in trouble (like with the NCAA), they will throw everyone else under the bus, including basketball, to protect the football program.

    That's really how this breaks down.

    For quite a few years under Barnes, I would've put Texas in the first category. I agree with another poster in this thread.....Shaka needed more time. The state of Texas has an awful lot of great prep basketball talent. The strength and conditioning program at Texas is considered by many to be the best in the nation. They have a lot to sell.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    There some "football" schools who invest money in basketball and who do care about, despite the fans obvious allegiance towards football. Florida is a good example of this. They have a great AD. So you get the fantastic hiring of Mike White to replace Billy D., despite his inexperience or lack of "big name" status.

    And then there are other "football" schools who don't care about basketball, and if their football team ever gets in trouble (like with the NCAA), they will throw everyone else under the bus, including basketball, to protect the football program.

    That's really how this breaks down.

    For quite a few years under Barnes, I would've put Texas in the first category. I agree with another poster in this thread.....Shaka needed more time. The state of Texas has an awful lot of great prep basketball talent. The strength and conditioning program at Texas is considered by many to be the best in the nation. They have a lot to sell.
    Well my original point about football was that while Texas has a good basketball program their university focus is still football #1 and basketball #2. At Gonzaga it's basketball 1, 2 and 3. I will always back my Zags though despite the many naysayers on this board and continue to assert that Gonzaga is the best place for Hepa to develop as a player and person.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    786

    Default

    I think GU over TX is a no-brainer, but maybe all of the recent hurricane activity will help convince Kamaka that TX is not the best choice.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I think GU over TX is a no-brainer, but maybe all of the recent hurricane activity will help convince Kamaka that TX is not the best choice.
    Austin is a long way from the coast. Not do likely to see much damage from hurricanes. Tornadoes, that is an entirely a separate issue.

    ZagDad

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Austin is a long way from the coast. Not do likely to see much damage from hurricanes. Tornadoes, that is an entirely a separate issue.

    ZagDad
    Better BBQ in Austin even with Franklin burning last week.

    Dunno how the tacos compare.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    Any update on his visit?

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,195

    Default

    I hear it went well. BUT he's in no rush to sign. Heavily dependent on his parental input. Might take a while with him. I agree with those who don't think TX is a good fit. Austin didn't get the great flood though. Time will tell.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,183

    Default

    I heard NWG's mother, Val say......the work up GU coaches presented to them was first rate and no other school showed that kind of foresight ...... what are the chances GU does the same for frosh recruits?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I heard NWG's mother, Val say......the work up GU coaches presented to them was first rate and no other school showed that kind of foresight ...... what are the chances GU does the same for frosh recruits?
    i'd imagine they do, at least for the high-priority recruits.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,701

    Default

    I've got to think that a fair mix of schools have pretty good coaches and programs. To land talent a young athlete and their family are going to have to buy into a few other aspects and one of those is generally outside of what a program can control: geographic location, city/town size, distance from the family home, etc. I would guess that Hepa would feel quite at home in Spokane. But, some athletes are looking for a change of location/culture to spread their wings - see the world so-to-speak. There are tangibles outside of what GU can offer or control. GU's program is top notch. But, even though I love Spokane (born here, moved around, came back here) I know that no matter how good GU is some athletes are going to choose another school - and no fault to GU, none, nada, zip. I never feel GU has lost if they don't attract a particular recruit. It's just the way things go. However, I do feel GU has won with every player GU has landed. Just look at how GU has grown and developed. It's downright spectacular. So, kudos to all those athletes who have come to GU. They've all helped develop what we have and what we have is pretty darn golden ..... and even getting better!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I've got to think that a fair mix of schools have pretty good coaches and programs. To land talent a young athlete and their family are going to have to buy into a few other aspects and one of those is generally outside of what a program can control: geographic location, city/town size, distance from the family home, etc. I would guess that Hepa would feel quite at home in Spokane. But, some athletes are looking for a change of location/culture to spread their wings - see the world so-to-speak. There are tangibles outside of what GU can offer or control. GU's program is top notch. But, even though I love Spokane (born here, moved around, came back here) I know that no matter how good GU is some athletes are going to choose another school - and no fault to GU, none, nada, zip. I never feel GU has lost if they don't attract a particular recruit. It's just the way things go. However, I do feel GU has won with every player GU has landed. Just look at how GU has grown and developed. It's downright spectacular. So, kudos to all those athletes who have come to GU. They've all helped develop what we have and what we have is pretty darn golden ..... and even getting better!
    YES!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •