Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kamaka Hepa

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    Zags didn't lose out on a kid that never even visited ---was not ever in the running I bet ----just a college name for misdirection -----dearly hope Hepa is not practicing the same protocol
    Cherry was very much on our radar.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Cherry was very much on our radar.
    Agreed. But was GU very much on his radar?

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    Agreed. But was GU very much on his radar?
    That was Realty's point.

Just an honest question... if a kid really had no intention at all of coming to GU... did the Zags really lose out? Just seems that Zags were never really in the cards from day 1.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    That was Realty's point.

Just an honest question... if a kid really had no intention at all of coming to GU... did the Zags really lose out? Just seems that Zags were never really in the cards from day 1.
    Exactly! If after a kid visits GU and choses to go elsewhere, then we lost them but if there wasn't a visit as LIZF stated, then there really wasn't any interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    No kidding. People mentioned Texas just signing PFs that could be ahead of Hepa in the rotation. Same thing with Cherry at USC.

If Hepa chooses to split time at Texas or USC instead of being big man on campus in Spokane, it would signal a wind change of kids prioritizing factors above stability, winning and playing time. Which is hard for me and many others to understand.
    I wouldn't read that much into it. Some kids want warmer weather (especially coming from AK). Some want to move further away from home. Some may want to play in a major conference. Some just like the campus better. Austin is a fun city, Compton less so, but it's close to the beach. Heck maybe he's interested in tech or biotech, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    I wouldn't read that much into it. Some kids want warmer weather (especially coming from AK). Some want to move further away from home. Some may want to play in a major conference. Some just like the campus better. Austin is a fun city, Compton less so, but it's close to the beach. Heck maybe he's interested in tech or biotech, who knows.
    USC is in South Central LA not Compton....about a 30 minute drive in LA traffic to go from Compton to SC....and to me, Socal/LA is much more fun than Austin, TX and I have spent considerable time in both

SC's quite a ways from Compton. A private university situated right south of Downtown LA. Muchbetter these days with billions poured into that area. It's a very nice, well funded campus. Good school. I'm thinking Hepa would hit the brakes if he saw it as busy as it is. I don't know what Hepa's thinking but absent an encouraging blast from him, I'm hoping but am doubtful he find his way to Boone. If he's a one and done kid ( I kinda doubt he is right now), it shouldn't matter too much where he lands. GU, SC, Texas.......all good programs. I think he'd thrive with us................moreso than the other two.

Hepa would be a perfect fit for GU and I think GU would be a perfect fit for Hepa. I'm sure he will do well wherever he chooses to play, but Hepa to Gonzaga just makes too much sense to me.

Fight on! USC is indeed a well funded place Doc.

University of Southern California

Ranked #25 on U.S. News & World Report’s list of the best American colleges, University of Southern California (USC) is known for its highly regarded schools of film, business, medicine, and engineering. Over the last quarter century, USC has benefited from a number of monetary and building gifts, including a $35 million dollar donation from alumnus Gordon S. Marshall (after whom the school of business was renamed), a record $110 million donation from the W.M. Keck Foundation, and a $50 million gift from the Price Family Charitable Fund. USC’s current endowment is $5.6 billion.

Endowment: $5.6 billion
    Average Cost per Student: $27,544 per year
    Average Salary of Full-Time Faculty: $115,780
    Annual Research Budget: $345 million

I know that. Huge budget and endowments. But just what does that mean to a HS kid like Hepa? I don't know but I'm thinking he's just kid who wants to play some high end ball. He may stray but it's pretty simple. "Get me a coach I like, a staff that schools me and let's go lace em up"

Gonzaga is set to host Kamaka Hepa this weekend. Here's why @kamaka_hepa4 is such a priority for the Zags- scout.com/college/gonzag…

Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Gonzaga is set to host Kamaka Hepa this weekend. Here's why @kamaka_hepa4 is such a priority for the Zags- scout.com/college/gonzag…

Fingers crossed
    Well that is much more promising. The crystal balls at 24/7 were all starting to point to Texas and it seemed like a lock that he would commit after visiting on the 1st of Sept. The chances seem to be much better now if they get him on campus.

If I was being recruited hard I would see a bunch of campuses but save the place I really wanted to go for last.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    If I was being recruited hard I would see a bunch of campuses but save the place I really wanted to go for last.
    I totally agree! get to fly to different places, be watered and dined (not old enough to wine and dine except as some schools). See the country and THEN go where I wanted to all along.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Is it different in Hepa's case though? He's already been on a couple of unofficials to both Gonzaga and Texas. Is there a big jump in what a recruit sees on an official (never even sniffed these myself) vs. an unofficial visit?

I was at my grand daughter's volleyball match last night and was talking to a parent that I know who has a son who is now at Gonzaga on a golf scholarship. He told me his son received 4 or 5 offers from pac 12 schools but when he visited Gonzaga he fell in love with the school. He didn't care if Gonzaga was a smaller school in Spokane, Wa. He loved the family atmosphere and the unbelievable friendliness. Those of us who have visited the campus during the day when the students are outside know exactly what this kid felt. Gonzaga IS a special place and when a student athlete visits the campus GU has a good chance of getting that student athlete to sign. I believe there is a very good chance that Hepa will become a Zag. I think that his background helps him decide to be a Zag, and his parents are a huge part of his background.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I was at my grand daughter's volleyball match last night and was talking to a parent that I know who has a son who is now at Gonzaga on a golf scholarship. He told me his son received 4 or 5 offers from pac 12 schools but when he visited Gonzaga he fell in love with the school. He didn't care if Gonzaga was a smaller school in Spokane, Wa. He loved the family atmosphere and the unbelievable friendliness. Those of us who have visited the campus during the day when the students are outside know exactly what this kid felt. Gonzaga IS a special place and when a student athlete visits the campus GU has a good chance of getting that student athlete to sign. I believe there is a very good chance that Hepa will become a Zag. I think that his background helps him decide to be a Zag, and his parents are a huge part of his background.
    Exactly! Small IS beautiful. Be part of something really special instead of a cog in a machine. Here's hoping!

hope the smoke clears out before he arrives. still looking pretty grim out there.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Is it different in Hepa's case though? He's already been on a couple of unofficials to both Gonzaga and Texas. Is there a big jump in what a recruit sees on an official (never even sniffed these myself) vs. an unofficial visit?
    He DID get to go to a Texas football game, they lost, and he got to watch fans throw stuff onto the field. It would have to make him wonder about them throwing onto the B'Ball floor.

Zags fans are nice!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    He DID get to go to a Texas football game, they lost, and he got to watch fans throw stuff onto the field. It would have to make him wonder about them throwing onto the B'Ball floor.

Zags fans are nice!
    Someone needs to tell Kameka that basketball is an afterthought after football, no matter how bad the record.

This weekend, he'll make the trip to Gonzaga. He's already been to Spokane multiple times but this visit with Mark Few's bunch will be a little different.

“Basically I will get in Friday morning and they are gonna pick me up and we’ll eat and stuff," said Hepa. "We’ll play in an open gym and we are definitely gonna be touring the campus a bit even though I’ve been up there a lot. They aren’t going to stress too much about touring and it’s going to be more about meeting with academic advisors and different people on the staff that I would be dealing with on a daily basis if I went there.”

"While Hepa had some questions about fit with Texas, it is Gonzaga's track record with players like him combined with a very competitive program that has caught his eye."

“For me it’s their track record of guys that they have had at my position," said Hepa. "I think that right there is something that really stands out to me because they can really develop that position. If you look back at them those skilled stretch four guys have been really important and they’ve been able to help them beyond college. They have a blueprint and it's been very successful for them."

“(Texas and Gonzaga) are kind of like the two schools that I’m really looking at as well as the other schools I’ve mentioned," said Hepa. "I don’t know if I will be quite ready to have a decision after this weekend and I’ll have to talk to my parents. It may be a little while before I make a decision.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ps-for-gonzaga

I wouldn't read too much into the order of visits, as the football schools like to bring in kids for home games.

But I think the same as I thought about Wiltjer when he signed with Ky. Shaka Smart's version of helter skelter ratball can be successful, but it seems like a terrible fit for Hepa, as the dribble drive offense was for Wiltjer.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into the order of visits, as the football schools like to bring in kids for home games.

But I think the same as I thought about Wiltjer when he signed with Ky. Shaka Smart's version of helter skelter ratball can be successful, but it seems like a terrible fit for Hepa, as the dribble drive offense was for Wiltjer.
    That's the best point yet. However it assumes a high level of maturity in a still young fella.

I wouldn't read too much into my recruiting preferences, either. I would try to work in a football game at the Horseshoe, and maybe Notre Dame to see touchdown Jesus while I was at it, though. I would still try to see my favorite school last, regardless of football affiliation.

I finally got around to watching a video of Hepa. My oh My!!! I had a hard time NOT seeing him being a guard. The video mostly showed his outside shoting and dribble drives to the basket, shooting inside with both hands. If he signs with Gonzaga that will give the Zags a very powerful post presence: Larsen, Rui, Tillie, Clarke and Hepa. We know that we felt blessed when we had 4 post players and now add Hepa and OMG, how are we going to feel?

I love the things Hepa has said to reporters about Gonzaga. I truly believe our chances of signing him are high. He's going to fall in love with Gonzaga, if he already hasn't. He reminds me more of a 3 than a four which is pretty cool. I know he will definitely play a lot on the outside, I think more than as a post player. He resembles Rui to me. 6'8" four who can play outside and dribble drive to the basket. I really liked the one dribble drive to the hoop, and when he got inside he made a great reverse dribble move inside and put up a left handed lay up. Pretty good dribbling for a 6'8" player. He looks good defensively too. I'm really hoping, and believing stronly that we're going to get him.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!