• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
    Bozarth,

We used to utilize the Gonzaga Prep track years ago. I think they go to either SCC or SFCC nowadays, though.

I've been lucky enough to start a friendship with Coach Tyson over the past several years and based on the information I've gotten from him there are zero plans currently to build a track on campus.

If I were king for a day, though, I would put a track facility on campus as priority number 2. The first priority would be to fully fund scholarships for the athletes so that Coach Tyson's considerable talent for recruiting would have the backing of actual $$$ to help those athletes he targets to have an easy decision.

The limit for men's scholarships is 12.6 and for women 18. The team currently is operating on 4.05 for the men and 4.05 for women ( The extra .1 scholarship is thanks to my friend I mentioned above)

See above in how you might help with that effort.

A track would be great too!!
    Dog, are those schollies for all 3 seasons -- XC, indoor and outdoor -- and field as well? Why the M-F discrepancy? I went to Manhattan when it was along w Villanova the powers in the east.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      Dog, are those schollies for all 3 seasons -- XC, indoor and outdoor -- and field as well? Why the M-F discrepancy? I went to Manhattan when it was along w Villanova the powers in the east.
      Yes, for all 3. Back when I was there, it was the same runners on the xc team as the track team. I think there may have been 1 scholarship, or maybe just a half scholarship for the entire team, when I was there.

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Yes, all 3 seasons are covered by the same scholarship pool. The teams are almost exclusively distance runners now. When I competed we had a really good triple jumper, a high jumper and some sprinters. Most of us, though, were 3 season distance runners.

The scholarship pool was limited to room waivers when I was on the team. I walked onto the team and I already had an ROTC scholarship. By sophomore year running XC and track, I had done well enough(top 5 XC as a frosh) that I was offered a room waiver but it was duplicative of ROTC funds I was already getting.

I think Title IX is responsible for the discrepancy in the maximum number of scholarships allowed, but don't quote me on that.

The men's and women's teams at Gonzaga have the same number of schollies.

Comment

• former1dog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
          Yes, for all 3. Back when I was there, it was the same runners on the xc team as the track team. I think there may have been 1 scholarship, or maybe just a half scholarship for the entire team, when I was there.
          Did we run together? I'm Rob Boulds and I was there from 1988 to 1992.

Comment

• Norwester
            Kennel Club Material
            • Mar 2007

It's for Title IX purposes. It's for the same reason as WBB has 15 scholarships and MBB has 13.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Norwester View Post
              It's for Title IX purposes. It's for the same reason as WBB has 15 scholarships and MBB has 13.
              I thought such M-F discrepancies in hoops and Olympic sports schollies were only at big time FB schools with no female comparison sport.

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Watch out for sophomore to be Jake Perrin, also from Montana, to be the next Zag to get national notice. He set the freshman 5000 meter record at 14:04 earlier this spring. That's just stupid fast!!
                That is fast! I could run 4:40's but to run three of them back to back is PDQ...

I wonder what kind of speed he has...it would be interesting if he can run a sub 50 quarter...

The kid seems to maybe have a super future if his mind and body are willing...Pre ran a 13:52 his senior year in HS

Comment

• former1dog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                  That is fast! I could run 4:40's but to run three of them back to back is PDQ...

I wonder what kind of speed he has...it would be interesting if he can run a sub 50 quarter...

The kid seems to maybe have a super future if his mind and body are willing...Pre ran a 13:52 his senior year in HS
                  Perrin has good genetics (his brother is an All American runner for Colorado) and he is relatively new to the sport, not taking up running until 10th grade. He made up for lost time though and is the state championship record holder (all time best) in both the 1600 (4:12) and 3200 (9:02) for Montana. He ran those times at altitude by the way.

Anyway, he's the best recruit ever for GU and he didn't disappoint anyone as a frosh!

Fraley will be back this fall for XC, so I'm so excited to see those two push each other to new levels!

Comment

• asoc
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Jul 2007

Thats good to hear. I grew up in the Mead School District, played soccer, and had friends who were distance runners at Mead and Mt. Spokane. Great to see Tyson doing good things at GU. Would be great for Spokane to keep more of these kids at home once they graduate high school.

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Slightly OT, but a USF Woman (from England) won the 10,000 tonight, the 1st ever Track & Field Champion from USF (if Dwight Stones is to be believed).
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                        • Feb 2007

Yes, all 3 seasons are covered by the same scholarship pool. The teams are almost exclusively distance runners now. When I competed we had a really good triple jumper, a high jumper and some sprinters. Most of us, though, were 3 season distance runners.

The scholarship pool was limited to room waivers when I was on the team. I walked onto the team and I already had an ROTC scholarship. By sophomore year running XC and track, I had done well enough(top 5 XC as a frosh) that I was offered a room waiver but it was duplicative of ROTC funds I was already getting.

I think Title IX is responsible for the discrepancy in the maximum number of scholarships allowed, but don't quote me on that.

The men's and women's teams at Gonzaga have the same number of schollies.
                        GU will likely never be a track school since we have no football program. Top track schools leverage the speed and strength of their football players for the sprint and field events. They also have the training facilities needed for the specialized strength training and various types of conditioning.

No reason GU can't be a solid distance school, though. Lots of roads and a strong community tradition surrounding​ Bloomsday.

I personally hated track. I did one 10,000 meter race, lost track of laps quickly, became numb after all those laps and just went back to road races in the spring.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• ZaginLaw
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

In was in good humor. We never think we are off topic in any form...😜

Comment

• former1dog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

So proud of Troy Fraley! On the biggest stage he runs his best with a personal best time beating his previous best by 4 seconds. That was good for 7th place and history as Gonzaga's first ever All American for men's track!

Congratulations Troy!!!

Comment

• sittingon50
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Reborn
                                Zag for Life
                                • Oct 2007

So proud of Troy Fraley! On the biggest stage he runs his best with a personal best time beating his previous best by 4 seconds. That was good for 7th place and history as Gonzaga's first ever All American for men's track!

Congratulations Troy!!!
                                Congratulations Troy! Great job. Way to bring it.
                                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X