Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Track and Field

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Yes, all 3 seasons are covered by the same scholarship pool. The teams are almost exclusively distance runners now. When I competed we had a really good triple jumper, a high jumper and some sprinters. Most of us, though, were 3 season distance runners.

The scholarship pool was limited to room waivers when I was on the team. I walked onto the team and I already had an ROTC scholarship. By sophomore year running XC and track, I had done well enough(top 5 XC as a frosh) that I was offered a room waiver but it was duplicative of ROTC funds I was already getting.

I think Title IX is responsible for the discrepancy in the maximum number of scholarships allowed, but don't quote me on that.

The men's and women's teams at Gonzaga have the same number of schollies.
    GU will likely never be a track school since we have no football program. Top track schools leverage the speed and strength of their football players for the sprint and field events. They also have the training facilities needed for the specialized strength training and various types of conditioning.

No reason GU can't be a solid distance school, though. Lots of roads and a strong community tradition surrounding​ Bloomsday.

I personally hated track. I did one 10,000 meter race, lost track of laps quickly, became numb after all those laps and just went back to road races in the spring.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

In was in good humor. We never think we are off topic in any form...😜

So proud of Troy Fraley! On the biggest stage he runs his best with a personal best time beating his previous best by 4 seconds. That was good for 7th place and history as Gonzaga's first ever All American for men's track!

Congratulations Troy!!!

But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    So proud of Troy Fraley! On the biggest stage he runs his best with a personal best time beating his previous best by 4 seconds. That was good for 7th place and history as Gonzaga's first ever All American for men's track!

Congratulations Troy!!!
    Congratulations Troy! Great job. Way to bring it.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!