Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warm up game - Incarnate Word non-conf. opponent

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Right, but again why use up one of those few games they can schedule against a nobody like Incarnate Word w/ zero regional interest?
    They are always going to have 1-2 games like that. They make money and pose little risk. These kind of games, early in the season, have ALWAYS been on the schedule. Even when they played EWU... there were always a couple of very low RPI games on the schedule. TBH... in the past there was 4 games or so of weaker opponents (EWU and some other Big Sky type team), now it tends to be 2... with the expansion 2 of the four disappeared.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Actually, it's not the same argument. Huskies, Ducks, etc all have the luxury of the P12 schedules to raise their RPIs... with the WCC expansion the Zags have far less wiggle room. They are going to take a couple low RPI warm-up/breather games, but don't have the flexibility to pick up many more middling to lower half RPI games. They need to maximize their OOC. This is more a direct reflection of the loss of 2 OOC games to the WCC expansion.
    I always feel like that excuse is somewhat of a cop out, We play 18 Conference regular season games a year, same as pretty much everybody. One thing i cant explain, why were we 1 short on our OOC games last year? We ended up with 33 pre tourney games, most majors get 34...weird.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Actually, it's not the same argument. Huskies, Ducks, etc all have the luxury of the P12 schedules to raise their RPIs... with the WCC expansion the Zags have far less wiggle room. They are going to take a couple low RPI warm-up/breather games, but don't have the flexibility to pick up many more middling to lower half RPI games. They need to maximize their OOC. This is more a direct reflection of the loss of 2 OOC games to the WCC expansion.
    I suppose you missed my earlier point -----------all I was trying to convey was that there was a time when we would have liked to schedule up but some teams were shy to play GU for fear of the disappointing "bad look" loss ---and now (as mentioned in the post I commented on)---fans here state the inverse of those times ----had nothing to do with Pac 10/12 --- had to do with -----now we are the "big boy" feeling we can't risk a loss to a NW school that could have a great night and beat us------simply fans perspective

There are a lot of reasons for games like this. One that is rarely mentioned is the opportunity to go deeper into the bench in order to see what might be useful in the remainder of the season. Gives some of those guys a look that very well could result in some meaningful minutes for them. It's happened before.

I wonder if EWU might get back in the discussion? I believe (one) reason they stopped playing was because of Few's friendship with Hayford. Hayford has moved on. His Asst. was promoted (Liggins?), whom I believe was once recruited by GU coming out of HS from Calif. Perhaps someone with a little more background can straighten me out on that.
    But we don't play nobody.

A disappointing number of non sequiturs for a college board...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Well the Director of Basketball Operations....Doc Krause used to....John Jakus did...but in the end, I can't believe that Mark doesn't approve each game.

I will ask, but I am not exactly on Steve Hertz's speed dial...
    Bart

Thanks for the response and do let me know what, if anything you hear...

PS: I am not on Steve's speed dial either, so don't feel too bad!

Beware of schools with interesting names...

I remember when people used to laugh at NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology).

That was until they beat Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr67VZziHu4

Here's what I don't get.

Why not schedule a team that's gonna dominate a terrible conference? Would still pose virtually no risk of a loss, but at least they'd have a good winning percentage (which is the #1 factor in the RPI).

Maybe Incarnate Word IS that team....but doesn't seem like it. New Orleans, on the other hand, who won the Southland last year...wouldn't be an RPI killer and would still have less than a 1% chance of beating GU in the Kennel.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I always feel like that excuse is somewhat of a cop out, We play 18 Conference regular season games a year, same as pretty much everybody. One thing i cant explain, why were we 1 short on our OOC games last year? We ended up with 33 pre tourney games, most majors get 34...weird.
    I've been wondering this, too.

Anyone got any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    I've been wondering this, too.

Anyone got any insight?
    Cancellation of the Battle in Seattle.

I believe our Non conference Schedule looks like this so far:

Pretty pathetic home schedule so far......

I believe our Non conference Schedule looks like this so far:

There's a Bluejays vs Zags thread.

"Jim Meehan‏
    @SRJimm

Following
    More
    Gonzaga and Creighton have agreed to a home-and-home series, sources said. Bluejays expected to visit Zags this season."

Still needs to be confirmed?

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017...ghton-bluejays

Are we sure we have Cal? This article says only one Pac12 school this year so far and that it's UW

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017...ghton-bluejays

Are we sure we have Cal? This article says only one Pac12 school this year so far and that it's UW
    Pretty sure the series with Cal was replaced by the series with San Diego St.

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Pretty sure the series with Cal was replaced by the series with San Diego St.
    You could well be right but thought I read that due to Matthews playing for GU last season, the series wouldn't begin until 2017...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    You could well be right but thought I read that due to Matthews playing for GU last season, the series wouldn't begin until 2017...
    So Matthews exploring pro options (you don't really talk think he's coming back) has cost the Zags an out-of-conference opponent for next season, a schedule so full of holes we're scheduling teams which have failed as D-1 contributors. Thanks so very much, JWIII!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    So Matthews exploring pro options (you don't really talk think he's coming back) has cost the Zags an out-of-conference opponent for next season, a schedule so full of holes we're scheduling teams which have failed as D-1 contributors. Thanks so very much, JWIII!
    Either you need to explain your thinking or retract your comment. Matthews graduated. JWIII is not mentioned in the thread you responded to. Very confusing. And JWIII doesn't owe anything to anyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If you are going to schedule a cup cake....I would rather see them play Eastern, Central or even Whitworth..... at least a team from Washington State or the Northwest rather than send that money to Texas...
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Exactly!

Why all the Texas bashing?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Why all the Texas bashing?
    Because it's a BIG target?