Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Warm up game - Incarnate Word non-conf. opponent

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    9,020

    Default Warm up game - Incarnate Word non-conf. opponent

    Zag Nation Retweeted
    Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago
    Gonzaga will host Incarnate Word as part of its 2017-18 non-conference schedule, per a source.


    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...word-cardinals

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Why? Unless an exhibition, will be a drag of BPI/RPI all year; finished 7-11 in a nothing conference last year. Understand they recently upgraded to D-1, but even so, what do they bring to the table for schedule?
    Last edited by TravelinZag; 05-21-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add info

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,892

    Default

    groan....you can't blame the WCC for this ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    groan....you can't blame the WCC for this ...
    What is that?
    Rob

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    groan....you can't blame the WCC for this ...
    Can't go out there and play all top notch competition every single game. Need these games for all the fresh faces we will see
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

    12 Straight Round of 32s

    11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    2021 Undefeated Regular Season

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,892

    Default

    If you are going to schedule a cup cake....I would rather see them play Eastern, Central or even Whitworth..... at least a team from Washington State or the Northwest rather than send that money to Texas...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If you are going to schedule a cup cake....I would rather see them play Eastern, Central or even Whitworth..... at least a team from Washington State or the Northwest rather than send that money to Texas...
    I don't know I think with the new team we need some warmups to get the offense clicking or to rest between roadtrips/tournaments. It worked for us last year. Granted you must look at the total body of games.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    "Cupcake," "warmup," not "top notch," etc. -- no need to stoop to sub-300. Plenty available in the 100-200 range. Self-inflicted injury for some reason not apparent reason.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,278

    Default

    I think it would be very interesting to find out who actually schedules games for MBB and how much influence Coach Few has in this process. I also wonder why GU just doesn't play in state teams as mentioned above. Seems there might be a reason to play a team from San Antonio...maybe for recruiting purposes?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    "Cupcake," "warmup," not "top notch," etc. -- no need to stoop to sub-300. Plenty available in the 100-200 range. Self-inflicted injury for some reason not apparent reason.
    One 300+ game won't hurt you.... it's when you start getting past three
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

    12 Straight Round of 32s

    11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    2021 Undefeated Regular Season

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think it would be very interesting to find out who actually schedules games for MBB and how much influence Coach Few has in this process. I also wonder why GU just doesn't play in state teams as mentioned above. Seems there might be a reason to play a team from San Antonio...maybe for recruiting purposes?
    I'd be shocked if Few isn't heavily involved with scheduling, at least from a macro level in who they play and where.

    Speaking of scheduling games for recruiting purposes I wonder if they've ever considered playing an non conference game in Europe or Canada?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    I'd be shocked if Few isn't heavily involved with scheduling, at least from a macro level in who they play and where.

    Speaking of scheduling games for recruiting purposes I wonder if they've ever considered playing an non conference game in Europe or Canada?
    http://www.gettyimages.com/event/bas...re-id133539856

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

    NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,942

    Default

    Zags are in P80. OOC is going to be solid... even with this game... why are we griping about this?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Zags are in P80. OOC is going to be solid... even with this game... why are we griping about this?
    Agreed. It's likely that we will see 3 quality opponents in Portland + 2 true road games @ SDSU and UW and a neutral-away game in NYC against Villanova. 6 quality games + 6 cupcakes is fine for an OOC schedule, especially with the lack of experience this team will have. Wouldn't be surprised to see us add another decent home or neutral game anyway.

    To those wanting to play an in state school like EWU -- why? We almost lost to them last time we played and it's rare that their metrics are good. A loss to EWU/CWU/Seattle would be devastating. If we want to distance ourselves further from the Seattle talent market, a loss to an in state cupcake would sure be a good way to do it.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think it would be very interesting to find out who actually schedules games for MBB and how much influence Coach Few has in this process. I also wonder why GU just doesn't play in state teams as mentioned above. Seems there might be a reason to play a team from San Antonio...maybe for recruiting purposes?
    Well the Director of Basketball Operations....Doc Krause used to....John Jakus did...but in the end, I can't believe that Mark doesn't approve each game.

    I will ask, but I am not exactly on Steve Hertz's speed dial...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    Agreed. It's likely that we will see 3 quality opponents in Portland + 2 true road games @ SDSU and UW and a neutral-away game in NYC against Villanova.
    We also have California on the schedule next year too.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    "Cupcake," "warmup," not "top notch," etc. -- no need to stoop to sub-300. Plenty available in the 100-200 range. Self-inflicted injury for some reason not apparent reason.
    Those 100-200 teams require a bigger pay out. The intention of these games, other than to give GU a breather after a string of really tough games, is to make as much money as humanly possible for the program. If it hurts the RPI, the program is willing to take the hit.

    Nobody wants to talk about money. It is about money.

    Personally, I like the idea of playing Montana St.-Billings because the pay out is cheap and it doesn't count against your RPI. I would schedule a D-2 or NAIA team every season.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Zag Nation Retweeted
    Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago
    Gonzaga will host Incarnate Word as part of its 2017-18 non-conference schedule, per a source.


    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...word-cardinals
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    Why? Unless an exhibition, will be a drag of BPI/RPI all year; finished 7-11 in a nothing conference last year. Understand they recently upgraded to D-1, but even so, what do they bring to the table for schedule?
    Isn't there a blessing from God included?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    I believe our Non conference Schedule looks like this so far:


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post

    To those wanting to play an in state school like EWU -- why? We almost lost to them last time we played and it's rare that their metrics are good. A loss to EWU/CWU/Seattle would be devastating. If we want to distance ourselves further from the Seattle talent market, a loss to an in state cupcake would sure be a good way to do it.
    funny how things change sometimes....substitute EWU for GU and the words sounds exactly like the argument the Pac 10 had against us (my friends at UW said the same damn thing to me)-------I remember making this argument in the early 90's as a student at GU...why can't we play Oregon,,,,UW,,,,Oregon State???? I guess we've come full circle...kinda sad

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I remember Ralph Miller bringing his very good Oregon State team from the late 70s with Steve Johnson and gang into the old Kennel. They were likely doing GU a favor back then. Now I'd be shocked if OSU could get a home and home with GU.

    Times have certainly changed.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    funny how things change sometimes....substitute EWU for GU and the words sounds exactly like the argument the Pac 10 had against us (my friends at UW said the same damn thing to me)-------I remember making this argument in the early 90's as a student at GU...why can't we play Oregon,,,,UW,,,,Oregon State???? I guess we've come full circle...kinda sad
    Actually, it's not the same argument. Huskies, Ducks, etc all have the luxury of the P12 schedules to raise their RPIs... with the WCC expansion the Zags have far less wiggle room. They are going to take a couple low RPI warm-up/breather games, but don't have the flexibility to pick up many more middling to lower half RPI games. They need to maximize their OOC. This is more a direct reflection of the loss of 2 OOC games to the WCC expansion.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,342

    Default

    I can't believe CWU (my alma mater) got a mention! Only possible scenario I could see for GU playing them would be as an exhibition game.

    I agree w/ a previous poster. If GU is now scared to play the likes of EWU or Seattle U., it's not a good look for the Zags, and hypocritical. It has come full circle.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Actually, it's not the same argument. Huskies, Ducks, etc all have the luxury of the P12 schedules to raise their RPIs... with the WCC expansion the Zags have far less wiggle room. They are going to take a couple low RPI warm-up/breather games, but don't have the flexibility to pick up many more middling to lower half RPI games. They need to maximize their OOC. This is more a direct reflection of the loss of 2 OOC games to the WCC expansion.
    Right, but again why use up one of those few games they can schedule against a nobody like Incarnate Word w/ zero regional interest?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I can't believe CWU (my alma mater) got a mention! Only possible scenario I could see for GU playing them would be as an exhibition game.

    I agree w/ a previous poster. If GU is now scared to play the likes of EWU or Seattle U., it's not a good look for the Zags, and hypocritical. It has come full circle.
    Don't think it has a single thing to do with fear. There is just very little room for lower tier RPIs. Ask yourself... would you like to add two more lower tier WCC games to the schedule? Because that is what it would be equivalent to. It is an issue of maximization of their RPI potential... allowing for some money to be made as CDC alluded to.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •