Thread: John Jakus Director of Operations Leaving Gonzaga

Default John Jakus Director of Operations Leaving Gonzaga

John Jakus leaving Gonzaga’s staff to become assistant coach at Baylor

Sam Adams‏ @SWXSamAdams 4m4 minutes ago
    Sam Adams Retweeted Sam Adams
    Jakus was instrumental in scouting and helping game plan for Gonzaga �� staff, while also scheduling non-conference opponents and tourneys.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...become-assist/

Thanks John & best wishes.

A ton of interesting possibilities to replace him.
    "If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

Jordan Mathews, upon GU ascending to #1

KP is my top choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    KP is my top choice.
    I don't think Pangos is ready to hang 'em up yet!
    "If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

Jordan Mathews, upon GU ascending to #1

I have a feeling that Baylor is going to get hammered by the NCAA for all the allegations of rape and for their "lack of institutional control". When the carpet gets completely pulled back they are going to find an enormous amount of dirt. Thus far the issue is mainly the football team but I suspicion the entire athletic dept will suffer penalties.

http://newsok.com/why-no-punishment-...rticle/5549715

A former volleyball player filed a lawsuit against the school, the seventh such Title IX case against Baylor. In her filing, she alleged not only that as many as eight football players took turns raping her and videotaping the episode in 2012, but she also indicated that her gang rape and those of other women were considered “bonding” experiences for football players.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Good grief. Why would anyone join Baylor at this point? I suppose the institute will still be there... but if you have looked into the allegations (don't, unless you got the stomach for it) I can't see how they don't give them the death sentence.

Losing Jakus is a big hit. Few often emphasized in interviews that he wasn't much of an analytics guy. Jerry Krause was relentless with analytics so when he left I was really happy to get Jakus because analytics was his thing. Krause and Jakus eventually brought Few around to paying closer attention to analytics and it has paid off. I hope we're able to find someone to replace him with as much expertise in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Losing Jakus is a big hit. Few often emphasized in interviews that he wasn't much of an analytics guy. Jerry Krause was relentless with analytics so when he left I was really happy to get Jakus because analytics was his thing. Krause and Jakus eventually brought Few around to paying closer attention to analytics and it has paid off. I hope we're able to find someone to replace him with as much expertise in that area.
    You have to understand them, but you can't to a certain without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Do you have any more insight on what Few is now paying attention to that he wasn't before?

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Good grief. Why would anyone join Baylor at this point?
    https://www.bcm.edu/news/pediatrics/...research-study

http://www.baylor.edu/soe/index.php?id=935481

https://www.facebook.com/Baylor-Auti...9676904389157/

Perhaps he's doing it for his autistic child. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“For me, I just want our guys to play our best when our best is needed. If they do that, then good on them. I think we can compete with anybody in the country on any particular night.” - Mark Few

If that's the case, then best wishes. Hopefully the studies will pay dividends for lots of families down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Good grief. Why would anyone join Baylor at this point? I suppose the institute will still be there... but if you have looked into the allegations (don't, unless you got the stomach for it) I can't see how they don't give them the death sentence.
    I've lived in North Texas for over 20 years, and saw first hand what the death penalty did to SMU. They still haven't recovered.

There is no way the death penalty will ever be handed down to another school.

From what I read, Jakus and Drew go back a ways, and he's probably getting a big raise in pay.

I was interviewing for the Chief's job at Baylor Med in Dallas when that was handed down Tex. Such a penalty I've not seen! SMU seems to have recovered well enough in FB and BBall by now...... parts of the death sentence still hang on??

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I was interviewing for the Chief's job at Baylor Med in Dallas when that was handed down Tex. Such a penalty I've not seen! SMU seems to have recovered well enough in FB and BBall by now...... parts of the death sentence still hang on??
    It's been 30 years that the hammer came down, and normalcy has returned. After June Jones, the next coach hired is perfect for SMU, one who is a longtime Texas HS FB coach. I've long opined that a local team such as TCU, UNT, or SMU would not have to leave North Texas in order to field a competitive team, the talent is that deep in this area. Sure, the 4/5 stars will gravitate towards the Power 5 schools, but there are thousands of others that can be developed/coached up. Pluck a second stringer from Desoto or Cedar Hill, and you have found an incredible athlete. Need size on the O-Line? Do the same with Euless Trinity, which has a large Tongan population, where the moms routinely tip the scales at 250 lbs. Most of these kids have played organized football for 7-8 years by the time they graduate from HS. Look at the top draft picks, and North Texas players are often found, such as the first two picks in this year's draft.

To a lesser extent, basketball has the same potential. Jett Raines went to the same school as my kids, and was a productive player for Pepperdine...I know he gave us a few fits. Could be a pipeline for some WCC schools, whose campuses are mostly in Shangri-La compared to Texas.

Waco, Denton, Fort Worth, downtown Dallas...or Pepperdine, San Diego, San Francisco? I know who's going to win that argument most of the time.