Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Zach on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    As of right now, Norvell's knee is not yet a "100%", yet all sound optimistic he'll be fine & ready to go by next October.
    Surprised this isn't getting more attention. If Goshzagit is right, and I've seen nothing to contradict him, I'm concerned about that knee. It's already been lingering for quite a while. Anyone know anything further? When would they start considering a second surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Surprised this isn't getting more attention. If Goshzagit is right, and I've seen nothing to contradict him, I'm concerned about that knee. It's already been lingering for quite a while. Anyone know anything further? When would they start considering a second surgery?
    I guess I go the other way and have seen nothing to indicate that it is NOT 100% healthy and ready to go
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Thanks BZ for reminding me how exciting it is to watch the new Zags take the court and develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I guess I go the other way and have seen nothing to indicate that it is NOT 100% healthy and ready to go
    We've got a reliable, well-tenured poster (as far as I know) who's said in two different threads now that he's still not 100%. Could be way off base, but I feel like this board fosters an environment that doesn't tolerate trolling/outright lying/misinformation.

Memo to GU opponents: guarding Zach N this season will be No. Fun. At. All.

If it's about a student's health, the information will always be closely guarded until a coach or player says something. Some have their Gonzaga mafia sources but they aren't going to burn those sources on a forum.

Inner peace can be found when you realize knowing which rumors might be true really doesn't change anything.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    If it's about a student's health, the information will always be closely guarded until a coach or player says something. Some have their Gonzaga mafia sources but they aren't going to burn those sources on a forum.

Inner peace can be found when you realize knowing which rumors might be true really doesn't change anything.
    but other indicators would be open gym, workouts, jogging around campus etc

I have not seen one negative impression, outside of a single poster on the board who speculates alot on health issues but unaware if he/she has inside information. So I am assuming that he is good to go

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    We've got a reliable, well-tenured poster (as far as I know) who's said in two different threads now that he's still not 100%. Could be way off base, but I feel like this board fosters an environment that doesn't tolerate trolling/outright lying/misinformation.
    appreciate that position but there is no way of verifying veracity of statements.......past indicators (since we are not talking financials) have shown that accuracy was not a strong suit in regards to health(ie Tille done for season etc).......speculation but not sure verifiable accurate information IMO

Quote Originally Posted by DagsZags View Post

I LOVE Norvell's game. Outstanding shooter, excellent ball-handler, and and I've read on here that his floater rivaled NWG's this past seasons even. Even in the exhibition game (albeit against lesser competition) Norvell looked a step above. Drained a couple threes, had a nifty behind the back move to the basket, and was a great passer. He's a the real deal, and it'll be fun watching him evolve over the years. Not sure about one and done status, because as Worthington mentioned here, he's not a freak athlete, but an excellent multi-year D1 guard. Just have to hope his knee is 100% by the beginning of the season
    I have a very...cutting opinion of those who see Zack for less than he is. His lateral quickness is surgical. He has the ability to play effectively at 3 different positions. He needs little-no-space to get a shot off. Can create his own shot. Already one of the best 3-point shooters in the country. Is a superior ball handler with exceptional court vision. Is a facilitator. Has handles better than most PG's. Can sequence his moves to create an effective result, when being defended. Can play man-on defense and has the length to be an issue in passing lanes. Can create turnovers and contribute to their conversion into points off turnovers. He can absorb contact in the paint, and can finish post-contact. He won't jump out of the gym, but he can still get up. Athleticism isn't just about your vertical. You can't move the way he does without athleticism. Can also hit the improvised, trick shots when defense takes something away. i.e. on drives.

As well, look at how he handles and shoots when fully extended. He is incredibly coordinated. Closer to a one and done than a 4-year player. Has the ability to be a lottery pick after his freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I have a very...cutting opinion of those who see Zack for less than he is. His lateral quickness is surgical. He has the ability to play effectively at 3 different positions. He needs little-no-space to get a shot off. Can create his own shot. Already one of the best 3-point shooters in the country. Is a superior ball handler with exceptional court vision. Is a facilitator. Has handles better than most PG's. Can sequence his moves to create an effective result, when being defended. Can play man-on defense and has the length to be an issue in passing lanes. Can create turnovers and contribute to their conversion into points off turnovers. He can absorb contact in the paint, and can finish post-contact. He won't jump out of the gym, but he can still get up. Athleticism isn't just about your vertical. You can't move the way he does without athleticism. Can also hit the improvised, trick shots when defense takes something away. i.e. on drives.

As well, look at how he handles and shoots when fully extended. He is incredibly coordinated. Closer to a one and done than a 4-year player. Has the ability to be a lottery pick after his freshman year.
    Yep....

Go!! Zags!!!

How much has zack been able to do during his red shirt year. Him and wades highlight films are two of the most SKILLFUL I have seen from guys coming out. Just like wade, diff circumstances I wonder how much zack has been able to play, lift, workout. Typically a guy with his skill level is a star or close to it right out of the gate IF he's been able to practice, get steadtnwirkouts and improve his body during his redshirt year. How much and how consistent has his workout been?

I completely agree with everything you said. He's NBA talent, no doubt, and your comments about his athleticism are very true. Not just that, if that knee issue was lingering during his senior year (when this mixtape was created), we can only imagine how great he'll be once fully healthy. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he had the kind of freshman season to be a one and done, but I definitely agree he's closer to that than a 4-year player

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Nickname is "Snacks."
    I like that one. We can have some fun with it ..... I'll create some "3" 'artwork' around his nickname - for next season.

I agree with much of what you said in your first paragraph, but I respectfully have to disagree with your last remarks.

It should not be taken for granted how elite you have to be in order to be a one and done. We have had one in the history of our program and he was a bouncy, 7 foot, McDonald's All-American and even he's not a lock to be a lottery selection. I love Zach's game, but his first step, leaping ability and length are below average by NBA standards. Take a look at the highlights of any guard who's a projected lottery pick in this draft and the athletic differences are apparent. I don't mean this as a knock on him, his skill level is top notch, he will likely have a bigger impact on the program than any one and done could, and if he continues to develop he might have a shot at the NBA in some capacity, but he just doesn't fit the archetype of what NBA teams look for in lottery picks.

Skill also goes a long way in the league...look at Curry, Harden, CP, Heyward, Isaiah Thomas, etc... I know athleticism is hugely important in the league also but just want to point that you can be a so so athlete and still be special.

wow that crossover is nasty...

Totally agree about his skill level, and I don't watch the NBA so I'm often baffled by who becomes a star and who doesn't make it. That said, draftexpress says his wingspan is 6'2, and they are making such a huge deal out of that these days. For example, Dillon Brooks of Oregon is 6'6 or 7 w/ a 6'4 wingspan, and after all his accomplishments on the college level and w/ a vastly improved shot, he's considered a second rounder as a jr. And I think a lot of the stuff you said about Zach applies to Brooks as well. If Zach is as good a college player overall as Brooks, I'll take it.

And I think he can be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by gbnyba17 View Post
    which one?

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Zach Norvell.

I predict he'll be the biggest and most pleasant surprise for the Zags next season, with Jesse Wade a close second. Normally I'd include Kispert, but until I see that his foot is 100% I'll hold off.
    Thanks for posting this, Bob. Last year's Kraziness in the Kennel was the only time I've seen Norvell in action, but that was enough. This is a special one.

And from what I've seen of Kispert, next year could be another one for the books. The team"s going to be faster and more explosive. Get and stay healthy guys.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by gbnyba17 View Post
    His nickname should be Yo-yo.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I enjoy the hype as much as the next guy, but this thread is getting beyond the usual kool-aid drinking.

I look forward to seeing the kid play and believe he will contribute, but the talk of sure-fire NBA and one-and-done is way over the top.

He was 82nd in the top100 -- that tells me that he's a great get for GU, but not exactly NBA material (in the opinion of the scouts). Have we a diamond in the rough and the scouts got it wrong? I guess it's possible, but we haven't even see the kid play on minute of NCAA ball and nothing other than a high-school tape to judge. Maybe the hype should be contained, just a little...

I'll mix up some Kool Aid and predict that ZN plays in an Elite 8 and perhaps a Final Four in a Zags uni. I like his Pargo like swagger and tremendous skill set and I think he might become a team leader. Just hope he stays healthy.

Default Another Zach on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG#1 View Post
    I enjoy the hype as much as the next guy, but this thread is getting beyond the usual kool-aid drinking.

I look forward to seeing the kid play and believe he will contribute, but the talk of sure-fire NBA and one-and-done is way over the top.

He was 82nd in the top100 -- that tells me that he's a great get for GU, but not exactly NBA material (in the opinion of the scouts). Have we a diamond in the rough and the scouts got it wrong? I guess it's possible, but we haven't even see the kid play on minute of NCAA ball and nothing other than a high-school tape to judge. Maybe the hype should be contained, just a little...
    The scouts got it wrong, if they think he was going to be a four-year player. The scouts got it wrong if they thought he had no chance of going 1-and-Done. The scouts got it wrong if they think that all of his strengths are to be subsidized under one or two variables that are not where they think those should be.

Yes, the scouts got it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    If he is as good as Pargo, I will be very pleased....
    Pargo is the reason he is at GU....bart we're all going to be smiling if his knee is healthy....just like BZ said ZN & JW are going to be something to watch...and so is Kispert if he's healthy...

Go!! Zags!!!
    Last edited by bigblahla; 05-07-2017 at 10:57 AM.

The scouts got it wrong, if they think he was going to be a four-year player. The scouts got it wrong if they thought he had no chance of going 1-and-Done. The scouts got it wrong if they think that all of his strengths are to be subsidized under one or two variables that are not where they think those should be.

Yes, the scouts got it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And you're basing this on what, exactly?

Do you have some insider knowledge, or are you judging from the mix tapes we've all seen? To me, those tapes show a great player, but i'm not seeing a sure-fire pro.

Great to have the kid as a zag and I'm guessing he'll have a great career at GU, but let's keep it real...