Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kameron Rooks

10 pts and 6 boards against Arizona and 10 pts and 5 boards against Oregon -- I'll take him as a backup for Larsen-- plus he has plenty of college experience.

Larsen is the primary center imo. We need 8-12 mpg for rest and fouls. If he wants it, knight could give rooks enough training over the summer to handle those 8-12 minutes without being a detriment.

I guess that would be if he is here this summer and not a late to campus transfer.

Judging off the 4-5 games i saw of him... hes not very good and i dont think hes meaningful minute caliber at GU. Hope to be proven wrong, just dont see it.. Its painful if we think there are not better out there. We are wasting scholarships on space eaters now with little offensive skill. Didnt we just go to the national championship?

Someone pointed out on the board recently that we could use a Kuso type, who was an impact player for us (not a star) on a team that really needed it...Rooks could potentially play a similar role based on what little I know about him. I trust the coaching staff - if they think he can contribute, then let's go get 'im.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Someone pointed out on the board recently that we could use a Kuso type, who was an impact player for us (not a star) on a team that really needed it...Rooks could potentially play a similar role based on what little I know about him. I trust the coaching staff - if they think he can contribute, then let's go get 'im.
    I'm not sure kuso gets minutes on on a current zag team. Maybe Rooks is Kuso 2.0? Quite a bit of interest for Rooks, so I have to think others see more in him than some posters here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    10 pts and 6 boards against Arizona and 10 pts and 5 boards against Oregon -- I'll take him as a backup for Larsen-- plus he has plenty of college experience.
    I highly doubt a graduate transfer would come here to be a backup to an unproven redshirt freshman.

Players will transfer here to be part of our development program, get in the dance and be part of the team that was in the national title game.

Players earn their minutes -- if he earns the start over Larsen -- that means we are that much better off.

It just makes me happy that this thread is really an acknowledgement of just how important Shemmick was to the Zag's.
    We have Larsen and I think he's going to be special. It's just that I think we're all just a little bit concerned that The Mountain won't be here to fill up the paint. Hard to get that image of 7' 1", 300 lbs. out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    It just makes me happy that this thread is really an acknowledgement of just how important Shemmick was to the Zag's.
    We have Larsen and I think he's going to be special. It's just that I think we're all just a little bit concerned that The Mountain won't be here to fill up the paint. Hard to get that image of 7' 1", 300 lbs. out of my head.
    Man, you are in serious withdrawal. Your love for Shem knows no bounds. HaHa. Good for you.

IMO if we can get Rooks we should. He has the experience to come in and play confidently. And we do need his size on defense.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

if he earns the start over Larsen -- that means we are that much better off.
    JW3 and Tillie start, assuming both back. Better players than Rooks, and not close. He's not gonna improve that much over a summer from what he was at Cal. Backup depth is what's there, imo.

Having our forwards guard centers giving up 20+ lbs and the height gets us into foul trouble -- will be tough on them-- would prefer to have a center playing the position.

Having our forwards guard centers giving up 20+ lbs and the height gets us into foul trouble -- will be tough on them-- would prefer to have a center playing the position.
    True, but imo it's better to play your best/most experienced players even if it means a slightly unconventional lineup. And if you're playing a huge team that is pounding you on the glass, or a big, skilled post scorer like Landale, a guy like Rooks gets more minutes in that game.

And you can also make the other team go smaller to match up with your speed. Most teams don't have a starting 4/5 that can both keep up w/ JW/KT in transition and guard them on the drive.

I still think I like the kid from NIU a little bit better, he seems much more skilled offensively but I have no idea if we are even interested.

You can take this with a grain of salt, but a poster on Reddit said that he talked to Kameron today and Kameron told him that he was deciding between UConn and Gonzaga. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't take a longer look at SDSU so take that for what it is: an anonymous internet comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    You can take this with a grain of salt, but a poster on Reddit said that he talked to Kameron today and Kameron told him that he was deciding between UConn and Gonzaga. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't take a longer look at SDSU so take that for what it is: an anonymous internet comment.
    UConn? Wow - why travel across country to play for a program that is slowly circling the drain?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    UConn? Wow - why travel across country to play for a program that is slowly circling the drain?
    starting versus support role?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

A little something to think about, this will be the first year in the last several that we wont have a true 7 footer on the roster if we cant bring in someone like Kameron. That isnt necessarily a huge deal in the grand spectrum of things, but i dont think getting Kameron is a negative thing for our program. Hes proven himself capable of production at times against high major programs. Maybe hes not the sexy recruit, but are we really at the point where getting a grad transfer with the connections and ties that Kameron has with the body size he has is a negative? I like the move. Id like to see some depth behind Larsen, JW3, and Tillie. Id like to have options in case of foul trouble. Just my thoughts.

In what way is UConn circling the drain? They are what? 2 years removed from a National championship? Their 4th title in the last what? 18 years?

They offered him out of high school so he likely has a connection to someone on the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    In what way is UConn circling the drain? They are what? 2 years removed from a National championship? Their 4th title in the last what? 18 years?
    Circling the drain may be overstating the case, but there is little doubt that they are headed in the wrong direction. It's been four years since the championship you speak of. Kevin Ollie's teams have been mediocre at best since then, missing the tourney in two out of the last three years. They had a less than .500 record last year and did not even get an invite to the NIT.

Uconn has had three players transfer out this season which is a continuing trend under Ollie. And, they lost a high level recruit who requested to opt out of his commitment.

Things are a bit troubled in Husky land unless you are affiliated with the women's team.

It is strange that they have fallen this much....but I expected a drop off once Calhoun's shadow left the program and the bust up of the Big East really sank in.

The AAC isn't that much better than the WCC. Which is why I still feel it was dumb for WSU to join it. Everyone of substance wants out.

Always felt that Ollie was less responsible for that championship than the coaches he selected. I don't know how many of them are still on his staff. The one thing he can be credited with was building an amazing staff of experienced, diverse coaches.

Lastly, the season that UConn won the title was one of the worst seasons in the past 30 years of college basketball. Normally that UConn team would've been bounced prior to the final 4. They weren't all that great. But someone had to win the thing, and UConn's guards got extremely hot at the right time. I'm telling you, 100 years from now, they will be regarded as one of the ten worst NCAA champions. It was just an odd ball season.

But really, it comes down to the departure of Jim Calhoun and the implosion of the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Man, you are in serious withdrawal. Your love for Shem knows no bounds. HaHa. Good for you.
    You're right. I'm having a real hard time. He's gone and right now I just can't handle it. Gotta get a grip, but it's going to take a while.

Thanks for your comment!

In 2015-16, in about the same percentage of minutes as Zach played this year, Rooks was quite efficient offensively, and put up strong rebounding numbers. He was a particularly strong rebounder in conference play, putting up the 3rd-best offensive rebounding percentage and the 7th-best defensive rebounding percentage in the Pac 12.

Wasn't as good this past season, but the potential is there for Rooks to be a really effective backup center. Let's get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Circling the drain may be overstating the case, but there is little doubt that they are headed in the wrong direction. It's been four years since the championship you speak of. Kevin Ollie's teams have been mediocre at best since then, missing the tourney in two out of the last three years. They had a less than .500 record last year and did not even get an invite to the NIT.

Uconn has had three players transfer out this season which is a continuing trend under Ollie. And, they lost a high level recruit who requested to opt out of his commitment.

Things are a bit troubled in Husky land unless you are affiliated with the women's team.
    Even this take is overstated IMO...they are 3 years removed from a national title, hes made the tourney or NIT in all but 1 season of his tenure. Mark Few has transfers too...i dont see the issue, programs go through lulls especially when a relatively new coach makes his name and develops his style. I think UConn will be back to tourney success in the near future with or without Ollie.

Full Disclosure, ive been an Ollie fan since he played for the Sonics briefly in 2003. But i try not to let that bias my opinion.