Anti-Zag Len Elmore gone.

Anti-Zag Michael Smith not gone.

Good news!

Comment

• sittingon50
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
      Is Bill Oreilly looking for a job still?
      I think so, but he'll probably need a lackey to check the remaining "blonde" scorecard at ESPN.
      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• zag67
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Katz, good luck on where you end up. ESPN and I are going to be seeing less of each other.

Comment

• Ezag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Katz was one of the good ones. All in all I cannot feel too sorry these reporters and their giant salaries. I am sure they got a decent severance

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Otoh, how safe is the WCC contract w espn? Meaning, does it make more than it costs. Time for GU to consider over the top options.

Comment

• webspinnre
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Jayson Stark and Andy Katz were two of my favorites, definitely sad to see them go. Brennan also solid, was a fan of Dilfer and O'Neil as well.

edit: Jim Caple too! Two of my favorite baseball writers, gone.
              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                Otoh, how safe is the WCC contract w espn? Meaning, does it make more than it costs. Time for GU to consider over the top options.
                I doubt the WCC contract is more than $5 million a year. So long as the Zags are featured in more than half the games, ESPN is doing fine with the contract.

As for their contract with the Big East, that's a separate issue: $40-$50 million a year.

Comment

• RenoZag
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by allbusiness_zag View Post
                  Cancelled my insider subscription. Really going to miss Katz, O'Neil and Brennan. This sucks.
                  Brennan is a very talented writer. Would not be shocked to see his byline on The Ringer or Yahoo!Sports before long.
                  The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Might be a silver lining if Katz
                    Get support for Anne's
                    Network
                    And he takes
                    His friends
                    And revenues with him . Golden opportunity for him and others looking to get into
                    The "sports business"

Comment

• doctorzag
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                      I doubt the WCC contract is more than $5 million a year. So long as the Zags are featured in more than half the games, ESPN is doing fine with the contract.

As for their contract with the Big East, that's a separate issue: $40-$50 million a year.
                      I thought the Big East was with Fox?

Comment

• gon2mt
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Dec 2012

Really thought that Eamonn Brennan was an excellent writer.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doctorzag View Post
                          I thought the Big East was with Fox?
                          I stand corrected. Thanks! The article I checked said they're averaging about 100K viewers per game. I guess they had to overpay back in 2013.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

This is shocking. I feel like ESPN should not even bother covering college basketball if they think that letting a guy like Katz go makes any business sense at all. They have nobody there who even approaches what he brings in covering college hoop. In firing him they have not only lost an on air personality but they have lost a huge resource for them. This would be akin to firing Peter Gammons in baseball 15 years ago.

I am almost certain that, whatever the economics are at ESPN, this will go down as a mistake that will cost them much more than they think they are "saving."

I just hope Katz lands somewhere that makes sense, where we can pick him up and where he won't miss a beat.

Comment

• Zagceo
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

One point of view...

The most interesting aspect of the mass layoffs on Wednesday isn’t that they happened, it’s who the network targeted. Not the high-priced carnival barkers and the know-nothing loudmouths doing their best to make Rachel Maddow proud. Nope. ESPN targeted sports reporters. In an effort to cut some fat from its bottom line, ESPN exchanged a scalpel for a chainsaw, skipped the fat entirely, and went straight to cutting out muscle.
                              LINK

Comment

• tinfoilzag
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post

To give some perspective, I believe ESPN is spending 1/2 Billion (with a B) annually on their NBA contract.
                                The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

Working...
                                X