Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy Katz let go.

Default Andy Katz let go.

There has been no national voice that has been a greater advocate for the legitimacy of Gonzaga basketball or has been more complimentary of Mark Few.

I'm sure that I'm speaking for more than just myself that we find this move by ESPN to be regrettable, and we wish Andy the best of fortune in the future.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    There has been no national voice that has been a greater advocate for the legitimacy of Gonzaga basketball or has been more complimentary of Mark Few.

I'm sure that I'm speaking for more than just myself that we find this move by ESPN to be regrettable, and we wish Andy the best of fortune in the future.
    He won't be unemployed very long, that's for sure.

Pretty sad, imo. Wishing him all the best. And a huge thank you for all the support he gave to the Zags. I lost so much respect for ESPN last year. Their analysts were so bad in their analysis of the NCAA Tournament. Their predictions were horrible.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Katz has always been one of the better reporters IMO. He'll be missed. I'll bet he gets picked up by someone, probably FOX.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Pretty sad, imo. Wishing him all the best. And a huge thank you for all the support he gave to the Zags. I lost so much respect for ESPN last year. Their analysts were so bad in their analysis of the NCAA Tournament. Their predictions were horrible.

Go Zags!!!
    I "try" to be respectful ... positive ... try to look at the "good" ... root for folks to "win" (and not lose) but I'll be honest. I didn't mind seeing Len Elmore's name on the list yesterday.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

That sucks, Andy has been along for the ride since the beginning. He wrote the Cinderella Watch piece for a number of years on ESPN.com. As most of us know was pretty much the only guy outside of Spokane who, in 1999, thought that team could win games in the NCAA tourney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

CBS, please call him right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I "try" to be respectful ... positive ... try to look at the "good" ... root for folks to "win" (and not lose) but I'll be honest. I didn't mind seeing Len Elmore's name on the list yesterday.
    Here, here. And I would not mourn the loss of Jay "Vroom Vroom" Williams either. ESPN could easily offload a number of Dookies and not lose a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by kclubfounder View Post
    CBS, please call him right now.
    Substitution, Katz for Seth Davis...or Kellogg....or the Jet.......or Grant Hill....on an on....

Katz picked Gonzaga to win the national championship this March despite all the doubters. He came dang close.

This is AWFUL news. He is honestly one of the 3 best TV/website college basketball analysts and news gatherers that exist. I say this with my heart on 16 stacks of Bibles: I would say the same thing if he had never written a word about Gonzaga. He is so well connected within college basketball. He's the first guy at ESPN to break stories and so on. He is more than just an analyst. He's really more of a reporter than an analyst. ESPN has no one who can replace him. No one has the inside scoop that he does.

If they retain Jay Williams......man, they're really off their rocker. ESPN is just going to have a bunch of renegade analysts who are so opinionated and non objective that they won't be able to get the inside scoop on anything.

And now... outside of a game... I will not watch ESPN. This is just sad.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Katz was their best college basketball reporter, with emphasis on reporting. With him, O'Neil and Brennan all gone, we won't be seeing much college hoops content on espn.com next year. Goodman and Medcalf are still there, I think, but who else?

Anti-Zag Len Elmore gone.

Anti-Zag Michael Smith not gone.

D-U-M.........dumb.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

The problem with this firing, again, is that Katz was their main inside scoop reporter. He's totally different from even a guy like Jay Bilas. Jay provides analysis, but he can't break the story on a coach who is about to be canned, or if the NCAA is going to investigate a program. Just totally stupid on ESPN's part. It takes years to build the connections that Katz has.

Cancelled my insider subscription. Really going to miss Katz, O'Neil and Brennan. This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    If they retain Jay Williams......man, they're really off their rocker. ESPN is just going to have a bunch of renegade analysts who are so opinionated and non objective that they won't be able to get the inside scoop on anything.
    Is Bill Oreilly looking for a job still?

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    And now... outside of a game... I will not watch ESPN. This is just sad.
    I totally agree... If its not a game, I won't watch. They keep Power 5 Homers and get rid of the best CBB analyst out there. In my opinion ESPN has appointed themselves as the arbiter of all social injustice, and have gone overboard in their anti racist diatribe, to the point of being racist themselves. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The problem with this firing, again, is that Katz was their main inside scoop reporter. He's totally different from even a guy like Jay Bilas. Jay provides analysis, but he can't break the story on a coach who is about to be canned, or if the NCAA is going to investigate a program. Just totally stupid on ESPN's part. It takes years to build the connections that Katz has.
    Notice how most of the people they're retaining are all Power 5 people, like Dakich?

Thanks Andy! Spent a lot of time in your Korner. to be continued....indeed

Dakich doesn't like us much. But he's lousy. Andy's been so amazingly supportive. Big loss but he'll get work. ESPN is almost owned by the Power 5 now. Bad choice.

I don't post very much but just had to echo how bone headed this move was. Andy is extremely knowledgeable and fair. My favorite.

He will land elsewhere easily. Just hope we get to read and hear him often. Maybe he will take time off to write a book before picking up a new gig.

Quote Originally Posted by allbusiness_zag View Post
    Cancelled my insider subscription. Really going to miss Katz, O'Neil and Brennan. This sucks.
    Good idea. After reading your post, I cancelled my subscription too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Good idea. After reading your post, I cancelled my subscription too.
    I also cancelled mine this morning. 3 of my favorite analysts gone; Katz in CBB, Stark in MLB and Dilfer in NFL plus really enjoyed the Russillo/Kanell show and Eamon as a cbb writer. Cut lots of really good talent and kept ALL the crap they already had, very disappointing.