• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

KREM 2 - "A look at next year's Zags with insight from Williams-Goss"

another fun and informative offering from Darnay Tripp at KREM 2: "A look at next year's Zags with insight from Williams-Goss"
    • Mar 2007

Dumb tweet from Rothstein and I sure hope he's wrong. Regardless, Zags will move into and up the rankings quickly once the season begins if he's correct.

Comment

• Markburn1
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2015

The Zags have eight, maybe nine guys that would start for any team in the WCC. They have four, maybe five guys that would start for many top 25 teams. Here's where it gets tricky. They have 3 guys that have the POTENTIAL to be skilled enough to start for a top 10 team.

If the current roster has most of the players reach their potential, they will be a tough out in the tournament.

Last year they had eight guys that were starter material and four of them will be coming back. Add the redshirts and freshmen that have big upsides along with Rui and there aren't many teams in America that would hesitate to trade their talent for the Zags straight up.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
        The Zags have eight, maybe nine guys that would start for any team in the WCC. They have four, maybe five guys that would start for many top 25 teams. Here's where it gets tricky. They have 3 guys that have the POTENTIAL to be skilled enough to start for a top 10 team.

If the current roster has most of the players reach their potential, they will be a tough out in the tournament.

Last year they had eight guys that were starter material and four of them will be coming back. Add the redshirts and freshmen that have big upsides along with Rui and there aren't many teams in America that would hesitate to trade their talent for the Zags straight up.
        I'm in this camp, also. You look at the returning nucleus of Melson/JWIII/Perk/Tillie and you just know the points/rebound averages for all of them are going to go up, possibly significantly in the case of Tillie with a jump in PT. Norvell has enormous upside, as was obvious in his limited time in the early season games. Rui is a wildcard at this point, but it won't be a lack of talent or size that limits him. I'll take that with the coaching capabilities at GU. J Wade will contribute also, especially once we get into WCC play. Will be a fun team to follow.
        "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
        —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• 75Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

I am constantly delighted with the ability of Williams-Goss to speak clearly, maturely and intelligently about GU basketball and many other topics. I wish him well in his post-college BB career, but it will be a tragedy if he does not eventually end up as either a coach or in a sports media position. I don't know whether he acquired his communication skills at U of W or at Gonzaga and since I have a degree from both places I don't really care, but he is a very special guy on the court and off the court.

Go Bulldogs!
          Do not go gentle into that good night,
          Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
          Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• SpudDawg
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

Thank you for this, ZagNative! And I agreed with 75Zag -- Williams-Goss has become an ambassador for Zag Nation.

UWDumb fans hate him for leaving and heading to Gonzaga. They totally ignore the reasons he left, and a strong group of them continue to complain about Romar's firing.

Comment

• dhozagfan08
              Kennel Club Material
              • Jan 2017

The craziest part to me is that there are a ton of UW people who wanted Romar out because the program was going to crap, but then they still bash Nigel for leaving. That I will never understand. How can you blame the kid for wanting to win and and get away from that dumpster fire. Same things those fans wanted.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dhozagfan08 View Post
                The craziest part to me is that there are a ton of UW people who wanted Romar out because the program was going to crap, but then they still bash Nigel for leaving. That I will never understand. How can you blame the kid for wanting to win and and get away from that dumpster fire. Same things those fans wanted.
                With his degree in psychology, I think Nigel would be the perfect guy to analyze the situation...lol.

Comment

• titopoet
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                  Dumb tweet from Rothstein and I sure hope he's wrong. Regardless, Zags will move into and up the rankings quickly once the season begins if he's correct.
                  Rothstein has never been much of a fan of Zags, which is always okay. When he get hot in the face for being so wrong about Zags (again!) it will fry the egg on his face to rubber mess.
                  ----
                  Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                    Zag for Life
                    • May 2008

I'm not sure what tweet you are referring to but if it's this one, I don't see what is dumb about it. I think it's pretty accurate myself...this team will be much better in January than they will be in November.

"Lost four of their top five scorers. Gonzaga will be a good team, just think it will take time for new pieces to mesh."

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                      I'm not sure what tweet you are referring to but if it's this one, I don't see what is dumb about it. I think it's pretty accurate myself...this team will be much better in January than they will be in November.

"Lost four of their top five scorers. Gonzaga will be a good team, just think it will take time for new pieces to mesh."
                      And they'll be a better team in March than they will be in January. Let's not be expecting another 37 win season, we'll need to exhibit some patience...now might be a good time to start...lol.

Comment

• titopoet
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post

While I won't claim this team will be top ten at the start of the year, I will say they will be a top 25 caliber team to start the season with who they currently have coming back. The four regular rotation guys they start with are enough to be a top 25 and adding Zach, Wade and Larsen to the mix makes them for sure a team deserving to be a top 25. If they figure it out as a team to use all the talent they have, they have the potential to be top 10 (maybe higher). I still think Rui will be a dominate force at the 3 and if that comes to be... watch out.
                        ----
                        Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by titopoet View Post
                          While I won't claim this team will be top ten at the start of the year, I will say they will be a top 25 caliber team to start the season with who they currently have coming back. The four regular rotation guys they start with are enough to be a top 25 and adding Zach, Wade and Larsen to the mix makes them for sure a team deserving to be a top 25. If they figure it out as a team to use all the talent they have, they have the potential to be top 10 (maybe higher). I still think Rui will be a dominate force at the 3 and if that comes to be... watch out.
                          They might as well turn Rui loose from day one. He's the third Zag I've seen in mock drafts, with J3 and Tillie, although I don't pay too much attention to mocks...they are what they are.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Couldn't agree more with both your posts Tito.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2008

I don't disagree with you on this at all. However, I still don't see how what Rothstein tweeted is really any different. He said they will be good but have to replace four of five top scorers...both correct IMO. It's not like he said Gonzaga shouldn't be ranked or would struggle or anything to that effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X