Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volkar Athletic Center update

There is no sarcasm intended and Harry deserves much credit, but there is little doubt that the Basketball Team is responsible for much of the financial success and the growth of the student body.....unlike the 1961 GE College Bowl Team that was humiliated by Fairleigh Dickson...

Almost sold the School in late 60's due to financial hardship. Very bad management back then with a total commitment to liberal ideas without the capitalist/money to back things up. WSU offered $50 million to just buy GU. Thank God. Clearly though, GU must have tons of money to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Almost sold the School in late 60's due to financial hardship. Very bad management back then with a total commitment to liberal ideas without the capitalist/money to back things up. WSU offered $50 million to just buy GU. Thank God. Clearly though, GU must have tons of money to compete.
    Doc, You mean a focus on liberal ideas like at Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan, Swarthmore?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Doc, You mean a focus on liberal ideas like at Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan, Swarthmore?
    gotta think we're talking classical liberalism here.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    gotta think we're talking classical liberalism here.
    Indeed, with a capital L, and backed up by billions and billions.....

Hey mods- if it's ok for Abe to say that "liberal ideas" almost caused GU to go belly up, would it be ok to mention the fact that conservative ideas (no regulation, free rein for the "free market") caused the Great Depression?

Just a hypothetical. Not sure why Abe is allowed to throw in his political crap when it's supposed to be kept off here.

Ignore works fine till somebody quotes him.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Hey mods- if it's ok for Abe to say that "liberal ideas" almost caused GU to go belly up, would it be ok to mention the fact that conservative ideas (no regulation, free rein for the "free market") caused the Great Depression?

Just a hypothetical. Not sure why Abe is allowed to throw in his political crap when it's supposed to be kept off here.

Ignore works fine till somebody quotes him.
    Great question. Maynard. Thank you!
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Ignore works fine till somebody quotes him.[/QUOTE]

This.
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Oh my goodness, people. And now we've invoked the Great Depression into this thread? Lordy, lordy...

We're way off topic anyway. In the context of the recent posts in this thread, I threw that in. It's to meant to indict liberal thinking at all. It's just what happened back then. I'm really fine with taking it off but the other off topic posts are taken too. Honest fellas, I meant no harm . It's just the history of what happened late 60's and early 70's. Management had an entirely different slant back then. Now, it's a lot more business like. Thus the surge in buildings , programs and basketball leading much of the way. Back then, we weren't backed by 10's of million as Jazz addresses in his post. Just history..no indictments. Business minded people saved the school.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    We're way off topic anyway. In the context of the recent posts in this thread, I threw that in. It's to meant to indict liberal thinking at all. It's just what happened back then. I'm really fine with taking it off but the other off topic posts are taken too. Honest fellas, I meant no harm . It's just the history of what happened late 60's and early 70's. Management had an entirely different slant back then. Now, it's a lot more business like. Thus the surge in buildings , programs and basketball leading much of the way. Back then, we weren't backed by 10's of million as Jazz addresses in his post. Just history..no indictments. Business minded people saved the school.
    No need to apologize, D. Your pt was well made. And I assume it was historically accurate. GU wasn't the first and only school rescued and buoyed by a bizness-oriented board. Kinda like the Platonic ideal.....sound business mind, sound student body.... as it were.