Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkar Athletic Center update

Default Volkar Athletic Center update

Last edited by Zagceo; 04-18-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Sounds pretty cool to me. Students will be happy, and I'm sure the team will also be.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Wow, that's gotta help with recruiting!

If there is an open house for the facility, I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Wow, that's gotta help with recruiting!
    Corey Kispert was influenced more by: one, working with Travis Knight, and two, practicing in the Kennel (I.e. The same shots he takes in practice will be the same he takes in a game).

He's looking forward to its completion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Sounds pretty cool to me. Students will be happy, and I'm sure the team will also be.
    Students I have chatted with about this seem mostly apathetic towards the project, and some wonder why the university is spending this kind of money on athletics rather than expanding academic and need based scholarships, hiring more professors, building more classroom space, investing in classroom technologies, etc. I'm not saying there won't be benefits to the average student from this project, but i haven't seen any signs that the general student population is "happy" about the project. But yes, i've no doubt that the team and recruits will love the facility.

I do not have the same ideas about this subject I would have had in the early (nineteen) seventies when I was a GU student. I did not attend a basketball school. I describe Gonzaga basketball from the 1970's as a program that belonged to the Big Sky Conference and was expected to win about half of its games. The excitement of the basketball year was giving Weber State a competitive game for three plus quarters. Those who know better might school me on how accurate my memory is, but that is how I actually remember it. Erecting the Volkar Athletic Center during the early seventies would have been foolish.

Gonzaga has become not just a basketball school but a successful school. It is successful not just on the court but off the court. Every indication I am aware of shows that popularity of Gonzaga as a school has improved directly because of the success of the basketball program. The academic qualifications of incoming freshmen have improved because of that popularity. The amount of money contributed to the school has increased because of it and the size of campus and number of buildings on campus have increased because of it. In other words the basketball has paid GU serious dividends in a sustained manner during the last twenty years.

This new athletic center is an investment to retain and improve the quality of the Zag basketball program. The program has earned that investment, deserves it and it is only prudent to make sure our basketball program has the capital improvement it should expect the university to provide going into the future as provided by the Volkar Athletic Center.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Agree-- the basketball program indirectly has funded the improvements that have been made over the last decade. The current build is an investment in the program so that it can continue to provide these types of opportunities and university infrastructure growth.

love this line

“I’ll actually have a window for the first time in 30 years,” Roth said. “I can look out and see if the sun is shining or not.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    I do not have the same ideas about this subject I would have had in the early (nineteen) seventies when I was a GU student. I did not attend a basketball school. I describe Gonzaga basketball from the 1970's as a program that belonged to the Big Sky Conference and was expected to win about half of its games. The excitement of the basketball year was giving Weber State a competitive game for three plus quarters. Those who know better might school me on how accurate my memory is, but that is how I actually remember it. Erecting the Volkar Athletic Center during the early seventies would have been foolish.

Gonzaga has become not just a basketball school but a successful school. It is successful not just on the court but off the court. Every indication I am aware of shows that popularity of Gonzaga as a school has improved directly because of the success of the basketball program. The academic qualifications of incoming freshmen have improved because of that popularity. The amount of money contributed to the school has increased because of it and the size of campus and number of buildings on campus have increased because of it. In other words the basketball has paid GU serious dividends in a sustained manner during the last twenty years.

This new athletic center is an investment to retain and improve the quality of the Zag basketball program. The program has earned that investment, deserves it and it is only prudent to make sure our basketball program has the capital improvement it should expect the university to provide going into the future as provided by the Volkar Athletic Center.
    It's crazy to me how people still don't understand this. Fantastic post Rangerzag.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

To all those alums who criticize the investments made in the GU BB program, be aware your degree is worth considerably more as a result of the success of the program. Now that may be crass and off putting to some, but it's axiomatic that high visibility athletic programs produce that benefit. As for students' view, that's why they are students and not in charge. Speaking from 25 years experience in higher ed, the most challenging even most contentious constituency for a college is its own students; not the town, the media, alumni, local political leaders, or even faculty.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 08-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.

I could understand the criticism if the only thing being improved at GU was the athletics, but that simply isn't true. New dorms, new class buildings, new student center, they're finally getting the fine arts building built...
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    It's crazy to me how people still don't understand this. Fantastic post Rangerzag.
    +1

During my years in Zagland, the ROTC cadet battalion numbered around 100, when the undergrad student body was about 2000.

Fast forward to today, and the cadet battalion is about 70, in an undergrad population of 5500. I was surprised by that.

Wasn't much of an endowment back then, if any.

Credit Bob Spitzer for taking advantage of the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    +1

During my years in Zagland, the ROTC cadet battalion numbered around 100, when the undergrad student body was about 2000.

Fast forward to today, and the cadet battalion is about 70, in an undergrad population of 5500. I was surprised by that.

Wasn't much of an endowment back then, if any.

Credit Bob Spitzer for taking advantage of the opportunity.
    If your years at GU were late 60s-early 70s, I would imagine the elevated ROTC enrollment at that time was directly related to the existence of the draft.

it seems worth noting that a significant portion of the current student body was born AFTER our first elite 8 run. when i was on campus in 2002, they opened up the first new dorms in like 20-30 years. now there are new dorms, apartments, and academic buildings everywhere (along with improved athletic facilities for all teams/sports). the current student body has no way to know that that just wasn't how it was before our mbb success. gonzaga is not one of those places that is throwing money after sports to the detriment of the school or the students-- it is (and has long been) a place that INVESTS in sports to the benefit of the entire institution. and that's an important (and not necessarily obvious... unless you saw the campus 20-30 years ago) distinction.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me."
    --R.A.H

Volkar Center vs. The Money Bowl
    The Wall Street Journal Saturday had the story "The Money Bowl" describing the new athletic locker room at Univ. of Texas which was costly. The article's main premise is schools are profiting from their athletes and maybe they should pay the players instead of telling the players to "just play and shut up and quit whining." I don't subscribe to the article's thesis. But my immediate reaction was that some schools, namely Gonzaga give their student athletes more than an opportunity to prepare for the next "athletic" level but prepare them for a better life. Then I'm reminded of how many former Zags keep coming back to Spokane to visit, workout and also to live in the town and work there. Gonzaga and Mark Few (how blessed is the school for his leadership?) have made mbb a great thing but I agree with the posts herein that Gonzaga is better for it too, both athletically and academicly. If a very smart student and athlete like NWG made the choice he did for both basketball and academics we must be doing something correct. Too bad there are not more NWGs out there to pick off for recruitment.

Jazz is spot on on the value of our programs and it is clear the students don't appreciate what they are getting at GU. When we recruit a player who wants basketball but also MORE out of college, we can usually expect good work ethic, loyalty, appreciate and thankfully also winning effort.
    Being a student athlete is a passage of life and he or she needs to grab ahold and ride the ride and take as much as he can from his time at Gonzaga or any school which provides solid development and maturity.
    How many of us were really mature at 22 when we left school?

Therefore, hurrah for the Volkar Center and what it can do to enhance our athletic program and the larger Gonzaga U success and prestige.

Sometimes I worry posters on this board "want more" from the Zags mbb than we are entitled to. We are getting just about everything we want and need. The NC will come but solid, winning, ethical, upstanding and heroic players and teams makes us all happy, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    If your years at GU were late 60s-early 70s, I would imagine the elevated ROTC enrollment at that time was directly related to the existence of the draft.
    Draft ended in '71 or '72. I was there from '72-'76.

I would not be surprised if our continued forays around the globe are a greater factor in the declined enrollment.

I got drafted the end of Oct. '72. The draft ended in Jan. of '73.
    Man, could I use a Taco right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I got drafted the end of Oct. '72. The draft ended in Jan. of '73.
    Thanks for the correction...and your service.

I am under the impression that Gonzaga was on the verge of closing in the 90's and was saved by the Basketball Program....

like it or not, the students and alums will support and rally around a sports team and not something like the debate team of the accounting team.....and I understand the bean counters have been very successful .... bless their cold cold hearts...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am under the impression that Gonzaga was on the verge of closing in the 90's and was saved by the Basketball Program....

like it or not, the students and alums will support and rally around a sports team and not something like the debate team of the accounting team.....and I understand the bean counters have been very successful .... bless their cold cold hearts...
    wondered how long before this was mentioned.........students may need a little refresher in GU history

The debate team kicks butt too!
    Man, could I use a Taco right about now.

Unless I'm missing the sarcasm - it was actually saved by Harry Magnuson.