Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next One And Done

Default The Next One And Done

I have been a Zag fan since 2000 and been reading the GU forums off and on for over 14 yrs. I remember when Adam Morrison's sister "SaraMo" used to post here. My question for the board is this. What happens the next time GU has another player who is one and done? Will he be raked over the coals like Zach was this past week? I couldn't believe some of the negative comments posted on the SR website and also on FB regarding Zach's decision. Even more disheartening, was to read some of the comments here. I always thought this board prided itself on the fact that the Zags are one big family and once a Zag always a Zag. Seems like the minute Zach declared for the draft,all kinds of ugliness reared it's head on this board, one post in particular from last nite in the "Latest Draft Board from ESPN" thread was downright nasty.

It's kind of ironic that after all these years of wanting the team to move up to the "Elite" level, that a player gets dumped on for doing exactly what many other players from other "Elite" teams do...become a One and Done. What's that saying...be careful what you wish for? Zach was part of an amazing GU season of basketball and we should be grateful to him for that. I hope that is what he remembers about his time here. Not all the negativity from this past week. It's his life and his decision.

I wish him nothing but the best.

I don't think anyone is mad. I think we ARE a family. Just because we are a family doesn't mean we have to agree with someone on everything they choose to do. But what it does mean is that we will always support that person and always cheer for him to play well and represent the university well.

I have no doubts most everyone will do this - and if they don't they have issues
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by BB Fan View Post
    I have been a Zag fan since 2000 and been reading the GU forums off and on for over 14 yrs. I remember when Adam Morrison's sister "SaraMo" used to post here. My question for the board is this. What happens the next time GU has another player who is one and done? Will he be raked over the coals like Zach was this past week? I couldn't believe some of the negative comments posted on the SR website and also on FB regarding Zach's decision. Even more disheartening, was to read some of the comments here. I always thought this board prided itself on the fact that the Zags are one big family and once a Zag always a Zag. Seems like the minute Zach declared for the draft,all kinds of ugliness reared it's head on this board, one post in particular from last nite in the "Latest Draft Board from ESPN" thread was downright nasty.

It's kind of ironic that after all these years of wanting the team to move up to the "Elite" level, that a player gets dumped on for doing exactly what many other players from other "Elite" teams do...become a One and Done. What's that saying...be careful what you wish for? Zach was part of an amazing GU season of basketball and we should be grateful to him for that. I hope that is what he remembers about his time here. Not all the negativity from this past week. It's his life and his decision.

I wish him nothing but the best.

Couldn't agree more. A lot of the posters on here need to do some serious soul-searching with regard to their recent comments about Zach. He was a terrific addition to this year's historic team, and his potential is through the roof. That he's decided to try and realize that potential in the NBA is something that we as a fan base should welcome, despite our disappointment that he won't be a part of next year's team.

I think you nailed it BB. Zags have been increasing the profile/talent level of players they've been bringing in incrementally, and ultimately this is what you get. Like I keep saying most of the rest of the college basketball world has been dealing with this for years. Zags fans should either get used to it, or hope Few starts recruiting at a lower level? Or find a new scrappy underdog team w/ unheralded recruits to root for, since that isn't Gonzaga anymore.

Also .... the anonymity of the Web has to be factored in. What people say on this forum may be the only times they ever express those thoughts/feelings. The Web is often a way for people to vent/rant, etc. I try to stay out of the threads that have a lot of the stranger stuff or stuff I feel isn't shedding a good light on the poster. We've all got to remember that we're Zag fans and that we more than likely have more in common than we don't.
    Cume-By-Yah!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Have to agree with BB Fan. I too was taken aback by all the negative comments here and other places concerning Zach's decision. Not sure how many here seem to think they know better than the NBA scouts advising the Collin' family on his readiness to enter the draft. Has everyone forgotten that playing in the NBA is the dream of most, if not all, top recruits and that dream is as important as the money ?
    For the immediate future of GU basketball,most of us would like to have Zach back next year, but as his father said, the NBA, not necessarily the player decides when you enter the draft. Wishing Zach a long successful career !

I read this board often and I truly don't remember any "ugly" comments. I guess you could stretch it and say those who argued he needed to develop more before going to the NBA, were making "negative" comments. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. I very well could be.

If we are all family and anonymous does that mean my dad slept around?
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Zach made the right decision. Selfishly, it would have been nice to have him back for another season to make another run at the NC (if him and Nigel both returned we are better than this year, I truly believe that). Look at the history of guys who could have been lottery picks, but returned to school. It is more likely than not that you drop down the rankings or stay neutral. Simply isn't worth the risk to him. Plus he'd lose a year of earning potential.

Ya college basketball is probably more important to us, but for a player the quality that Zach is, he wants to realize his dream of playing at the highest level. Who knows what could happen next year? We have a prime example with Elias. Good for Zach, I'm glad we were the ones who could enjoy his one year of college.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I think you nailed it BB. Zags have been increasing the profile/talent level of players they've been bringing in incrementally, and ultimately this is what you get. Like I keep saying most of the rest of the college basketball world has been dealing with this for years. Zags fans should either get used to it, or hope Few starts recruiting at a lower level? Or find a new scrappy underdog team w/ unheralded recruits to root for, since that isn't Gonzaga anymore.
    The problem for Gonzaga is that it isn't in the place like other programs to replace guys like Zach. It's a lot easier is accept the "new reality" when you're Kentucky or near Kentucky. It does really make you wonder about how much GU can recruit guys like Zach, although, honestly, nobody could've predicted before the season that he would be a one and done guy. Jeff Goodman thought it was a joke that he was a McDonald's AA. He wasn't a top 25 prospect, and his school list wasn't really all that impressive.

In reality, guys like Zach are going to be the minority for Gonzaga. As long as GU is in the league it's in, it's going to be hard to attract "real" one and done prospects like Lonzo Ball, Anthony Davis. As Few said even at the final four, it's the one thing they can't fight against in the recruiting wars. If kids know they're one and done, they want to play in certain leagues.

I think what fans are upset by is that it's never happened before, and it's probably not going to happen very much around here.....and the fact that with Nigel returning (still to be determined), GU had a chance to return to the final 4 with Zach around. You only get so many cracks at this.

Gonzaga also only has so many years left with Mark Few. I have said this and I will say it again....I am 98% certain he won't coach 6 to 8 more years at GU. Others close to the program believe this to be true as well. He has implied many many times that he wants to do a lot of other things with his life besides coaching college basketball, and he wants to do it while he is still young and can move around. He won't be doing this when he's 70 or whatever. That's for the Type A guys who can't get away from it. And then can Tommy take over and keep it going...if he chooses to stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I read this board often and I truly don't remember any "ugly" comments. I guess you could stretch it and say those who argued he needed to develop more before going to the NBA, were making "negative" comments. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. I very well could be.
    Agree
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I think may people are just disappointed. We never got to experience going "Full Zach". If the money is there, go for it. I know I would've

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I agree. A little befuddled by the comments about how horrible we are. I seen a lot of people upset, because they believe someone they care about is making a mistake that could come back to haunt him. As a Zag fan I really do want what is best for Zach. I want to see him go on to be an NBA star as that will be an awesome thing for him and our program. Of course we are upset when we believe he would've been so much better served to stay in College another year. I don't see how that is somehow "All kinds of Ugliness rearing its head"...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    I agree. A little befuddled by the comments about how horrible we are. I seen a lot of people upset, because they believe someone they care about is making a mistake that could come back to haunt him. As a Zag fan I really do want what is best for Zach. I want to see him go on to be an NBA star as that will be an awesome thing for him and our program. Of course we are upset when we believe he would've been so much better served to stay in College another year. I don't see how that is somehow "All kinds of Ugliness rearing its head"...
    A lot of the comments were on twitter. I wish Zach the very best in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    A lot of the comments were on twitter. I wish Zach the very best in his career.
    It figures that America's favorite BB team would be the next target of Russian hackers!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Agree
    Agree also. The post may be referring to some Twitter stuff we did not see but on this board I only saw disappointment and sentiments that he should stay to develop more. Nothing I recall as ill will.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Default One and Don

Oh yes, to answer the question "What will you do when you get another One and Done"?

Celebrate, that means we had a premier player and probably went far!!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Completely agree. And I addressed this topic in every ZC thread on this board and never saw a response outlining how the board members here were crushing him. I think people here are confusing this board with comment sections and FB/Twitter.

Here's a little tip...comment sections, Facebook and especially twitter is the absolute pit of ugliness, if you want to be shocked and disgusted go there any day any time. My advice; Don't ever go there!

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    Here's a little tip...comment sections, Facebook and especially twitter is the absolute pit of ugliness, if you want to be shocked and disgusted go there any day any time. My advice; Don't ever go there!
    Or go to fanboards for SEC, Big 10, Big 12 football teams. Wander in there at your own risk. Of course, we likely wouldn't be doing so as a huge fan of the team, but ....wow, that stuff makes anything else look ...
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have seen much negativity posted on Twitter and FB about Zach's decision. But I had also been following the now 10 page thread here called "Collins Declares". To me, there was some less then kind things said about Zach and his father/family in that thread. One of the things mentioned often on this board is how potential players and their families read it..and that people should be mindful of that. After what's happened with Zach, some may think twice about sending their child here. I guess it's all about perception. What I may see as a negative comment, someone else may not...

Quote Originally Posted by BB Fan View Post
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I have seen much negativity posted on Twitter and FB about Zach's decision. But I had also been following the now 10 page thread here called "Collins Declares". To me, there was some less then kind things said about Zach and his father/family in that thread. One of the things mentioned often on this board is how potential players and their families read it..and that people should be mindful of that. After what's happened with Zach, some may think twice about sending their child here. I guess it's all about perception. What I may see as a negative comment, someone else may not...
    Zach is one of the most talented players to ever play at GU. On this board his decision, when viewed with logic and while with personal disappointment, has mostly been understanding and supportive. ZC doesn't "owe" Zagnation anything. But I think it's unfair to read anything on this board as indicitive of a broader negative consensus. This isn't Twitter and most of the posts here are very well thought out. Zach is in for a world of micro-criticism in the next year. That's what stars endure and it's part of being a lottery pick. He, and his father, will need to learn to not listen to the "keyboard critics". Are we Zag loyals disappointed we only got a small taste of Zach this year? You bet. But in the end, we will always support and cheer for him and always wish him well.

The dad's tweet doesn't single out our board, it seems to be generic social media. On the other hand it seems to be a fact that Zach and his dad were surprised and hurt by some of the comments. It doesn't do any good for them, or us either, to give reasons why they shouldn't be that hurt.

Hey Johnnie.
    My name is John, please call me John.
    I don't understand why you would be hurt by people calling you Johnnie.

It doesn't matter if there are good reasons they shouldn't be hurt.
    Those are not facts. The fact is both of them are. We try to go forward from there.
    We were all disappointed when KO, and Sabonis went, but I don't remember fans giving them grief.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    The dad's tweet doesn't single out our board, it seems to be generic social media. On the other hand it seems to be a fact that Zach and his dad were surprised and hurt by some of the comments. It doesn't do any good for them, or us either, to give reasons why they shouldn't be that hurt.

Hey Johnnie.
    My name is John, please call me John.
    I don't understand why you would be hurt by people calling you Johnnie.

It doesn't matter if there are good reasons they shouldn't be hurt.
    Those are not facts. The fact is both of them are. We try to go forward from there.
    We were all disappointed when KO, and Sabonis went, but I don't remember fans giving them grief.
    My comment was aimed at the OP who specifically mentioned this board multiple times in the first post.

The response, of what I believe to be the minority, is unfortunate. The digital world allows a cloak of relative immunity, and that immunity can be relished by the most mediocre of personality traits.

I am saddened to read ZC's fathers tweets. How would I feel if it were my son or daughter? Betrayed? Angry? Resentful? Those would most likely be my initial emotional reactions. In time I would come to the resolution that the vocal minority spoke with the loudest voice for a brief snippet of time......as least I hope I would.

Where will Zack shake out in the future architecture of the NBA. I don't know. I do know that be it good, bad or indifferent Zach Collins has earned the privilege to declare for the NBA draft this summer and find out. I for one will be cheering for him. I might even watch a couple games. I haven't watched the NBA since the Supes got hauled out of town.

As far as I am concerned ZC is a Zag and always will be, and most of those who posted negatively, in a multitude of different mediums, are probably not.

BB,
    Trolling a player has never been easier than it is today. How many trolls does it take to make appreciative Zag fans of an exceptional player like Zach look bad? Very few.
    I hope the Collins family forgives the avid Zag fans here for the idiots that make cruel statement on the internet.
    Personally I have loved watching Zach, wish I could have seen him play more. He is going to be a great pro.
    IMHO Gonzaga would not have gotten to the NC without him.