Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruits

Interesting perspectives coach and worth. I like Hamilton but not above Cherry, Williams or Porter. What's missing in his game for you coach?

Blessed to receive an offer from Gonzaga ���� #EWE #ALLIN

Cassius Stanley, SF receives an offer from GU. Is this someone we've been recruiting for a while or us our interest recent?

Edit ... just saw that he's class of 19'

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 33m33 minutes ago
    Brandon Williams (ESPN, No. 16) told ESPN he has cut his list to 5: Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, USC and Gonzaga. One of top guards in country.

D1 Circuit‏
    @D1Circuit

Oakland Soldiers F Taeshon Cherry (@slim_reaper635): 20 PTS, 12 REB in a win over Team Final @Soldiers_Salute

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 33m33 minutes ago
    Brandon Williams (ESPN, No. 16) told ESPN he has cut his list to 5: Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, USC and Gonzaga. One of top guards in country.
    So you're saying there's a chance?!

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Interesting perspectives coach and worth. I like Hamilton but not above Cherry, Williams or Porter. What's missing in his game for you coach?
    I should have provided more context. My apologies. I am very high on David Singleton. He's developing physically and will be able to compete as a starter at the D1 level as a freshman. Also a very well rounded game. So, going from that possibility to something not that...it's not as easy to be enthused about the option.

Having said that, Hamilton seems like a very accurately placed 3*. 6'2" and pretty slight. A good shooter, but not a great shooter. Not incredibly explosive, but does have some athleticism. Does have a few good moves, though. With his current frame, I don't see him taking contact well, and might struggle with getting D'd up and D'ing slightly bigger shooting guards. As well, not a tremendous finisher.

One thing I have learned since posting this, is that Bryce is actually only 16, and not 17 like most juniors. Dino Trigonis thinks he could hit 6'6". Given his age, I am backing off of being as convicted to what I see...because he still may have a lot of growing to do, and is still very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Blessed to receive an offer from Gonzaga ���� #EWE #ALLIN

Cassius Stanley, SF receives an offer from GU. Is this someone we've been recruiting for a while or us our interest recent?

Edit ... just saw that he's class of 19'
    Wouldn't be surprised if he is Top 10 or Top 5 by the time '19 is here, or sooner.

Dort looks like a guy who is already in the NBA from a physical standpoint. I am talking about if you just look at his face.

The most important thing with Brandon Williams is getting him on campus. I am just worried he's going to visit some place like UCLA, fall in love with it, and commit right then and there. Like Singleton. If they get the kid on campus, they have a real shot.

I often wonder if coaches like Steve Alford in situations like that will tell the kid, "Hey, if you go visit these other schools, you aren't going to be as high of a priority on our point guard list as you once were. You need to think about that before you visit Gonzaga." And it pressures the kid into making a decision. I guess the idealist in me would like to think that coaches would encourage their recruits to take all of their visits and make sure that their school choice is the right one, but the recruiting wars are vicious.

When you look at Brandon's list, it's really obvious that Gonzaga offers something that the other 4 teams don't. UCLA, KU and Zona are the blue bloods. UCLA allows him to stay at home, the other two allow him to play away from home but somewhat close to home. If KU and Zona can offer more PT and offer more intangibles than UCLA, they can push themselves ahead of the Bruins.

USC is on that list and on that list for one reason only: it's a hometown BCS team with a good coach where he'll be the "featured" player.

Gonzaga has it's own thing. It just depends on whether the uniqueness of what Gonzaga has to offer is his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I should have provided more context. My apologies. I am very high on David Singleton. He's developing physically and will be able to compete as a starter at the D1 level as a freshman. Also a very well rounded game. So, going from that possibility to something not that...it's not as easy to be enthused about the option.

Having said that, Hamilton seems like a very accurately placed 3*. 6'2" and pretty slight. A good shooter, but not a great shooter. Not incredibly explosive, but does have some athleticism. Does have a few good moves, though. With his current frame, I don't see him taking contact well, and might struggle with getting D'd up and D'ing slightly bigger shooting guards. As well, not a tremendous finisher.

One thing I have learned since posting this, is that Bryce is actually only 16, and not 17 like most juniors. Dino Trigonis thinks he could hit 6'6". Given his age, I am backing off of being as convicted to what I see...because he still may have a lot of growing to do, and is still very young.
    Thanks for the analysis. I'll have to watch more Hamilton.

Don't know what it is but I'm just not in love with Singleton. Watched a couple of his games tonight. The kid is a good basketball player. He's good at multiple things but not great at any. His best attribute would be his competitiveness I would say.

Tell you one thing, LMU is getting a stud in Eli Scott. Plays for Chino Hills and I liked his game way better than the Ball brothers.

The NorCal Report‏ @thenorcalreport 7m7 minutes ago
    Taeshon Cherry (@slim_reaper635) of @Soldiers_Salute doing serious work. Playing like a top 10 player in the country. 31 & 10 this am. #EYBL

D1 Circuit‏
    @D1Circuit
    Soldiers F Taeshon Cherry (@slim_reaper635): 31 PTS, 10 REB, 3 STL, 2 BLK, 2 AST in a win over LV @Soldiers_Salute

ive heard both Cherry and Williams are almost locks to Arizona...but idk...I guess we just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Thanks for the analysis. I'll have to watch more Hamilton.

Don't know what it is but I'm just not in love with Singleton. Watched a couple of his games tonight. The kid is a good basketball player. He's good at multiple things but not great at any. His best attribute would be his competitiveness I would say.

Tell you one thing, LMU is getting a stud in Eli Scott. Plays for Chino Hills and I liked his game way better than the Ball brothers.
    Eli actually plays defense. And his shot is nice. Not the most explosive player on the court, but can still get up. He has something that LaMelo needs to get, quick: physicality. Eli is well built for the next level. LaMelo needs to eat a sandwich or two. LiAngelo isn't going to struggle in that arena of the game...but dude looks like he has some pretty heavy boots. You would think that UCLA would be above recruiting an overweight shooting guard that either plays on the perimeter, or displays the post moves of a PF without much lift? I guess you take one, you have to take them all. Eli Scott is a better overall player than LiAngelo.

LaMelo ball is not a McD's AA, at this point. It's a ways away, but there is just no way that he and Cassius Stanley can be that closely rated to one another. Lonzo will have a successful NBA career, but the rest of the Ball family is going to have to prove that they are worth the hype. Because right now...they aren't

If the staff cannot get a player or 2 out of this class or maybe the 2019 one that they wouldn't have gotten if they had not made the final four this year, I will be extremely disappointed as it may be a sign that Few has maxed out the program in terms of what they can get, talent wise, from American high schools. If they can't get a kid like Cherry or Williams (even just one) after what they pulled off this March, it may never occur. It isn't about where these kids are ranked....GU has gotten some highly ranked players before like Austin Daye. It's beating out multiple big timers like Arizona, KU, etc. GU has to prove they can do it every once in awhile. The time to strike is now while the iron is hot. I mean, I am not expecting a 5 man Kentucky-like recruiting class, but maybe one big timer in 2018, and one big timer in 2019. If it doesn't happen, I may never happen.

BTW - I have never understood how someone can say a kid is a lock to go to this school or that school if the recruit puts up a school list and hints or flat out says, "these are my official visits." If a guy like Williams is a lock for Arizona, why doesn't he just commit, or not talk about Gonzaga and Kansas? Why does he waste Sean Miller's time? Is it fun to make the other coaches wait around for a decision when they could get started on their B list because he's a lock for Zona? I am not sure if I am making sense. I can understand someone making an educated guess ("crystal ball prediction") as to where a recruit might go based on this or that, but by definition a kid can't be a lock to go anywhere if he intends on visiting other schools or even if he announces a final 5 school list.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    If the staff cannot get a player or 2 out of this class or maybe the 2019 one that they wouldn't have gotten if they had not made the final four this year, I will be extremely disappointed as it may be a sign that Few has maxed out the program in terms of what they can get, talent wise, from American high schools. If they can't get a kid like Cherry or Williams (even just one) after what they pulled off this March, it may never occur. It isn't about where these kids are ranked....GU has gotten some highly ranked players before like Austin Daye. It's beating out multiple big timers like Arizona, KU, etc. GU has to prove they can do it every once in awhile. The time to strike is now while the iron is hot. I mean, I am not expecting a 5 man Kentucky-like recruiting class, but maybe one big timer in 2018, and one big timer in 2019. If it doesn't happen, I may never happen.
    i think this board in general has had overly optimistic expectations for what a final 4 would do from a recruiting standpoint to begin with...i think many want to believe that gu is different from the rest, but recent history would indicate that a final 4 doesn't significantly elevate recruiting (at least not immediately with a direct correlation).

i also think that the wcc affiliation has always put a ceiling on the program, but i also wouldn't say that few & co have maxed out yet
    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 04-24-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i think this board in general has had overly optimistic expectations for what a final 4 would do from a recruiting standpoint to begin with...i think many want to believe that gu is different from the rest, but recent history would indicate that a final 4 doesn't significantly elevate recruiting (at least not immediately with a direct correlation).

i also think that the wcc affiliation has always put a ceiling on the program, but i also wouldn't say that few & co have maxed out yet
    We need to embrace the fact that WE ARE NOW PUTTING UNDERCLASSMEN IN THE NBA LOTTERY EVERY YEAR, even if it's only last year and this year. I mean, we have a kid who barely played and by most accounts will be in the lottery. 5 star guys no longer see the NCAA as a destination, only a way-point. We need to sell that and that if you are on a journey to the NBA, GU is a great spot to hit on the way. Those other schools sell exposure, we need to as well. This is the social media age, it's all about exposure baby.

Some folks may have irrationally felt an instant transformation into a blue blood or a semi blue blood program was possible. I am certainly not one of those guys. But I felt the achievement would allow Gonzaga to land one or two players it might not normally land. Just one or two. While the league affiliation may matter, think of Memphis when they were in C-USA?? Despite what some folks felt, they weren't overflowing with McDonald's AA players. But they were able to snag some guys that were big timers. Now I am not saying let's go get Derrick Rose Jr. and all the hassles he brings from a NCAA point of view, but it's an example of how despite conference affiliation, you can sometimes win the game. The key is sometimes.

I may be that the final 4 run doesn't pay off for GU until 2019. I mean, the recruiting and the relationships for the 2018 guys started well before Gonzaga went on the final 4 run.

It has certainly led to Gonzaga getting on some lists or getting recognition from some heavyweights. I mean when a kid like 2019's Cassius Stanley says he is "blessed" to receive an offer by Gonzaga, it's certainly a little bit of a different thing than even back in 2011.

We will never be Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc.

My view on the F4 and recruiting may be a bit different than some. Obviously I will take a FF and a NC over anything. This year it may have actually hurt us. If we don't go as deep in the tourney Collins potentially stays,maybe even NWG. Collins had some great minutes In the tournament when it counted and highlighted himself solidifying his draft stock, NWG has nothing more to prove really, both on an education basis and took this program to where we have never been.

The problem with GU is we can't rebuild like the teams mentioned above. They get rid of 1-and dones and just replace with more of the same. We can't do that. We will solidify 3-4 star guys, but will still struggle to get the 5*. Making a FF may actually hurt us for this next cycle, sounds ridiculous but may be true.

We will continue to put talent on the floor, but will struggle getting guys to come to GU over the likes o UCLA, AZ heck even Oregon. Gonzaga very well will have the same recruiting model that we've been doing, here and their we will get a player we didn't think we had a chance on.

Gonzaga has filled the gap of talent with the transfer market, Wiltjer, Wesley, NWG, Matthews, Williams. That has boosted our success, with players that didn't initially give us a sniff. Gonzaga will continue to be this type of program where players come to win, have a good culture after the new and shiny wears off.

I'm not worried about guards at all, would be nice to pick up an experienced guard for depth, but Perkins, Wade, Melson and Norvell especially will be very dynamic. Kispert will suprise many of us as well.

We need a BIG or two!!!
    America's Team!

This will help more than the F4. Going to a F4 in the past doesn't help recruits succeed in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post

This will help more than the F4. Going to a F4 in the past doesn't help recruits succeed in the future.
    I agree!
    Sweet
    America's Team!

Yeah, that academic center is going to be a nice selling point for future recruits.

Some folks may have irrationally felt an instant transformation into a blue blood or a semi blue blood program was possible. I am certainly not one of those guys. But I felt the achievement would allow Gonzaga to land one or two players it might not normally land. Just one or two. While the league affiliation may matter, think of Memphis when they were in C-USA?? Despite what some folks felt, they weren't overflowing with McDonald's AA players. But they were able to snag some guys that were big timers. Now I am not saying let's go get Derrick Rose Jr. and all the hassles he brings from a NCAA point of view, but it's an example of how despite conference affiliation, you can sometimes win the game. The key is sometimes.

I may be that the final 4 run doesn't pay off for GU until 2019. I mean, the recruiting and the relationships for the 2018 guys started well before Gonzaga went on the final 4 run.

It has certainly led to Gonzaga getting on some lists or getting recognition from some heavyweights. I mean when a kid like 2019's Cassius Stanley says he is "blessed" to receive an offer by Gonzaga, it's certainly a little bit of a different thing than even back in 2011.
    i agree that the ff exposure certainly opens some doors in the future...my worry would be that instead of having your heart broken once every year or two the zags end up having their hearts broken 3-5 times a year instead...wasting time and other resources as well.

however, if for every 10 second place finishes you finish on top once, maybe it's worth it...? not sure about the necessary success ratio to make it worthwhile...and if going after the elites potentially causes you to lose out on any top 75-125 types.

It's so hard to project this stuff because there hasn't ever been a program like Gonzaga before. Where's the program you can compare it to? Going to the Big East probably helped Butler's recruiting more than the back to back title games, but I also think that Butler's recruiting is much more difficult because while the geographic area their school is in has more very good players, they are 10x more schools competing for those recruits.

It's so hard to project this stuff because there hasn't ever been a program like Gonzaga before. Where's the program you can compare it to? Going to the Big East probably helped Butler's recruiting more than the back to back title games, but I also think that Butler's recruiting is much more difficult because while the geographic area their school is in has more very good players, they are 10x more schools competing for those recruits.
    ...is butler's geographic recruiting area any more competitive than gu's though? ...at this point i would say gu's is primarily cali...