Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2286

Thread: 2018 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Really?!?!? That is huge news!
    How so? Couldn't this me just as much them in a last-ditch attempt to stem the tide that's headed in? I don't necessarily see this as them having some inside track.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    How so? Couldn't this me just as much them in a last-ditch attempt to stem the tide that's headed in? I don't necessarily see this as them having some inside track.
    I don't think we have the inside track, but he didn't commit over the weekend and now we are in to see him. I have to think both are good things more so than negative last ditch effort. Just my opinion and maybe I am completely wrong and he commits to the Ducks after this meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I said same thing, especially when considering that it is next year that we should throw "all in" for the N.C. - why not take the kid who is the senior leader? Proven, bigger?

I'll be thrilled with either one, but there'd be level of risk/reward with B.Will that we would not have with Cremo.
    I'd take B-Will in either situation. Brandon gets the McD's AA nod if he doesn't go through that injury. And there's a possibility he's a 1&D. I like that he and his father are being realistic about how much time he'll need to get drafted. Cremo doesn't have the level of dribble-drive game that Brandon Williams possesses. And his finishing is a bit more scrappy, not quite as finessed. If we were talking about someone like David Singleton, I'd be more in line with your thinking.

I’d take BWill over Cremo in a heartbeat. We have a Cremo in Norvell. We don’t need more scoring, we need more creativity and athleticism from the guard spots. We need quickness and the ability to create for others. I like Cremo but like the staff has told Williams, he makes us national championship good.

P.S. Don’t know if Williams actually put on jersey or if that was computer created. Regardless, I don’t think that’s a very big deal. Hope he had a good visit and can’t wait for him to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Also, what do two baby chicks, a penguin, and a mushroom mean?
    That's a question I've never had to ponder before.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I’d take BWill over Cremo in a heartbeat. We have a Cremo in Norvell. We don’t need more scoring, we need more creativity and athleticism from the guard spots. We need quickness and the ability to create for others. I like Cremo but like the staff has told Williams, he makes us national championship good.

P.S. Don’t know if Williams actually put on jersey or if that was computer created. Regardless, I don’t think that’s a very big deal. Hope he had a good visit and can’t wait for him to get here.
    Good take.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Few/Donny visited Brandon before Rui/Tillie made their decisions to come back. At the time, I am sure the discussion was that GU would be a top 3 team next year IF Tillie and Rui came back, but understandably Brandon would want that to be guaranteed before committing... Perhaps the visit to GU was scheduled for JUNE because that would be after the last date to withdraw from the draft.. and at the time the staff may have expected Rui/Tillie to test the waters... but now?

The fact that Williams left Eugene without committing is great news. The decision for Few and Daniels to visit him today at Crespi tells me that Zags still believe we have a legitimate chance to land him. I really believe we are neck and neck with Oregon and probably ahead of Arizona. Just curious who the "mystery visit" school is. I haven't gone back to read older posts, has there been an announcement about who he is visiting between the Oregon and Gonzaga?

Yeah, Williams is the preferred option over Cremo. Not only does he add a creator/driver to the team, but he plans to stick around for at least two years too. Also, Few and the coaching staff probably see this as an opportunity to show that GU gets top 50 recruits, and they are experienced in doing that. Williams probably has more upside that Cremo too, as Cremo is older and less moldable. GU already has proven they can lure transfers, so adding Cremo won't show as much to future recruits down the road. Now they can show they can make a top 40 guy straight out of HS into a lottery pick...something they really have only done with Collins, a big man. Think of what Quentin Hall added to the '99 team. Williams can be that and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpzag View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Few/Donny visited Brandon before Rui/Tillie made their decisions to come back. At the time, I am sure the discussion was that GU would be a top 3 team next year IF Tillie and Rui came back, but understandably Brandon would want that to be guaranteed before committing... Perhaps the visit to GU was scheduled for JUNE because that would be after the last date to withdraw from the draft.. and at the time the staff may have expected Rui/Tillie to test the waters... but now?
    Great take here. I never thought about it that way, but you may be onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post

Okay.

Good points.

I was looking at it primarily from a "one year window" (I am thinking we do all we can to win the N.C. next year) and the benefit/downside to both, and looking primarily at the fact that one has 3 years of college experience already, and even some of the best 5 star frosh can struggle in spite of tremendous gifts.

But, I don't know the players' games as well as you.

I will be happy with either one, and Williams would be a landmark "get" for the program, so that is important, too.

Exciting times.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Brandon PROMISED Few and Daniels that he would visit Gonzaga no matter what in a published recruiting article. He was not going to commit to Oregon this weekend. He said in the article that he would visit GU no matter how well any of the other visits went. His words in that article went well and beyond a prep star just scheduling a visit like Andrew Nembhard did. Andrew never said, "I am going to take all of my official visits." BW really made it clear that GU would get their chance. So much so that if he backtracks, he's going to look like a liar. Thus, I expect him to be at GU the beginning of next month, even if he ultimately doesn't choose GU. I have followed recruiting long enough to know that most kids don't make promises like this, and when they make them public, they almost always follow through.

That being said, I understand.......each hurdle that we step over is a sigh of relief when you're recruiting a kid that is this touted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    The fact that Williams left Eugene without committing is great news. The decision for Few and Daniels to visit him today at Crespi tells me that Zags still believe we have a legitimate chance to land him. I really believe we are neck and neck with Oregon and probably ahead of Arizona. Just curious who the "mystery visit" school is. I haven't gone back to read older posts, has there been an announcement about who he is visiting between the Oregon and Gonzaga?
    I dont think he has any other visits scheduled besides Gonzaga. His father alluded to being very busy until june with prom, finals, etc. Just not a lot of time to plan a weekend of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpzag View Post
    I think it had more to do with being busy over the next month and a half. He has said all along hes planning on a mid june decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Brandon PROMISED Few and Daniels that he would visit Gonzaga no matter what in a published recruiting article. He was not going to commit to Oregon this weekend. He said in the article that he would visit GU no matter how well any of the other visits went. His words in that article went well and beyond a prep star just scheduling a visit like Andrew Nembhard did. Andrew never said, "I am going to take all of my official visits." BW really made it clear that GU would get their chance. So much so that if he backtracks, he's going to look like a liar. Thus, I expect him to be at GU the beginning of next month, even if he ultimately doesn't choose GU. I have followed recruiting long enough to know that most kids don't make promises like this, and when they make them public, they almost always follow through.

That being said, I understand.......each hurdle that we step over is a sigh of relief when you're recruiting a kid that is this touted.

I hope you are right, I just work with high school kids every single day and sometimes they say things that they don't mean. Now I do know those were the words of his stepfather, so they might mean a little more. All we can hope for is our shot and I like our chances!

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    The fact that Brandon Williams is meeting with the head coach right after he spent the whole weekend in Eugene tells me that there may not be a "tide to stem" because he did not commit to them over the weekend. Few is flying down to Los Angeles from Spokane, so yes to me that is big news.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

Next month? You mean June, right?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I dont think he has any other visits scheduled besides Gonzaga. His father alluded to being very busy until june with prom, finals, etc. Just not a lot of time to plan a weekend of travel.

I think it had more to do with being busy over the next month and a half. He has said all along hes planning on a mid june decision.
    He must've missed the latest news that they are trying to schedule a visit at another school between Oregon and us. It's one or two pages back in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    He must've missed the latest news that they are trying to schedule a visit at another school between Oregon and us. It's one or two pages back in this thread.
    I guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I hope you are right, I just work with high school kids every single day and sometimes they say things that they don't mean. Now I do know those were the words of his stepfather, so they might mean a little more. All we can hope for is our shot and I like our chances!
    I don't get his infatuation with Oregon. A great recruiting class does not necessarily translate into a deep run in the NCAA. The Zags OTOH have the pieces already in place for another great season, Brandon would be the cherry on top.

It would be nice if Few circled by Richardson, TX on the way back. lol, but we need to add a big man like Drew Timme in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I guess so.
    I meant you not he, sorry. Here is part of the Dad quote from page 72 of this thread:

Williams made an unofficial visit to Arizona State last weekend and will have another visit set for Gonzaga on June 2nd. The family is going to potentially take another official visit to an unnamed school on May 18th "should everything work out and check out with that school." A commitment from Williams to any school isn't going to happen until closer to the middle of June

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I don't get his infatuation with Oregon. A great recruiting class does not necessarily translate into a deep run in the NCAA. The Zags OTOH have the pieces already in place for another great season, Brandon would be the cherry on top.

It would be nice if Few circled by Richardson, TX on the way back. lol, but we need to add a big man like Drew Timme in 2019.
    Pretty successful over the last decade in basketball, PAC 12, Nike.

Well I'm not sure Coach has this figured out. One is clear, we cannot go wrong with Flynn, Williams or Cremo. Most teams would be happy to have just one.
    "Plus, Eugene has to have some great rock and gonja. Meth and weed can be a strong pull"......if that's a strong pull, let em fly away. No offense but I'm a bit surprised this would be a mentioned consideration.

Happy Monday everyone. We're a No 1 seed and top 10. If this, plus the track record, doesn't get us a very good kid/player, I don't know what else we have to offer.

Tweet Brandon Williams some Zag love if you have a minute-- darn Zona fans are coming out of the woodwork.

Brandon Williams

@TheeBWill
    10m10 minutes ago
    More
    Top 3??��������#♂️

https://twitter.com/TheeBWill/status/985936216854970368

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Dude!?!?!
    Yeah that doesn't seem like something that the mods will let live for long