Page 59 of 92 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2286

Thread: 2018 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Very few jucos do anything in D1. Even marquise Carter was second ranked in juco and he wasn’t what many anticipated.
    I agree and stated as much, total crapshoot. This guy's reel is just impressive, that's all. Where was MC rated # 2 juco though? I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I agree and stated as much, total crapshoot. This guy's reel is just impressive, that's all. Where was MC rated # 2 juco though? I didn't know that.
    Can’t recall if it was 2 overall or just among point guards.

Thats not really true. Lots of JUCO players play well in D1. Ask Cleanthony Early (Wichita St), Pierre Jackson (Baylor), Carl Landry (Purdue), Jimmy Butler (Marquette), Jae Crowder (Marquette), Trevor Mbakwe (Minnesota), Marshall Henderson (Ole Miss), Darius Johnson-Odom (Marquette)...and thats just in the last few years...Going back you can find juco guys like Shawn Kemp, Dennis Rodman, Larry Johnson, Mitch Richmond, Nick Van Exel, Latrell Sprewell, Ben Wallace, John Starks, Shawn Marion, Steve Francis, Sam Cassell. The list goes on. JUCO is not the dry recruiting bed you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Thats not really true. Lots of JUCO players play well in D1. Ask Cleanthony Early (Wichita St), Pierre Jackson (Baylor), Carl Landry (Purdue), Jimmy Butler (Marquette), Jae Crowder (Marquette), Trevor Mbakwe (Minnesota), Marshall Henderson (Ole Miss), Darius Johnson-Odom (Marquette)...and thats just in the last few years...Going back you can find juco guys like Shawn Kemp, Dennis Rodman, Larry Johnson, Mitch Richmond, Nick Van Exel, Latrell Sprewell, Ben Wallace, John Starks, Shawn Marion, Steve Francis, Sam Cassell. The list goes on. JUCO is not the dry recruiting bed you think it is.
    There are probably a couple a year that meaningfully contribute to high level teams. I’d take my luck from the hs ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    There are probably a couple a year that meaningfully contribute to high level teams. I’d take my luck from the hs ranks.
    That kid the GU got a few years back, (Batista?), he turned out pretty good I think.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    First of all, I'm the one that said that Ricky Torres looks legit but I can also be objective enough to acknowledge that the vast overwhelming majority of juco kids don't really perform at a high-level when they come to Division I basketball. The examples that you gave span almost 30 years while there are over 2 dozen a year that make the transition. Here is a post of mine that I copied and pasted from earlier in this thread:

Those are great numbers, but it's juco. If you look at a list of the top juco players each year, most have been complete non factors when they moved up to D1. Here's 2015 top 100:https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2015-...nkings-top-100 and 2017, for some reason they don't list 2016: https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100

Now, all of that being said, watching several of his reels I do think that Ricky Torres is one of the few that can succeed in Division I basketball.
    Last edited by thespywhozaggedme; 03-26-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    That kid the GU got a few years back, (Batista?), he turned out pretty good I think.
    Agreed. Kuso was also a good addition for the team gu had back in the day, though he wouldn’t get time on a current gu team. Once again, there are some gems, just not that many that could contribute in a meaningful way on a top tier team. Very few, in fact. If this was GU from 15 years ago I would be more inclined to agree.

Quentin Hall was a JC player!!

John Rillie shot the Zags to their 1st ever NCAA Tourney in '95

Bakari Hendrix, WCC POY

Lorenzo Rollins, 1st team All-Conference

Alex Hernandez

Anthony Reason

Winston Brooks

Ira Brown

Jeremy Eaton

Tony Skinner
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Anthony Reason
    Best dunk I ever saw in person. So good, the whole St. Mary's bench cheered for him also!

Caught the ball behind his head on a rebound and had a one handed tomahawk jam jumping from just a little bit inside the free throw line!

Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
    Following Following @jakeweingarten
    More
    2018 Brandon Williams had successful in-home with ASU and unofficial visit is in works, per source. More news tomorrow.

Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
    More Jake Retweeted Jake
    In addition, Oregon in-home still tomorrow. Gonzaga will be in as soon as first week of April, per source.

Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
    More
    2018 G Brandon Williams in-home visit with UCLA was canceled, per source.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
    More
    2018 G Brandon Williams in-home visit with UCLA was canceled, per source.
    Hmm...that's interesting since Aaron Holiday just declared for the draft, seems like he would have had the starting pg spot his for the taking.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...year-nba-draft

I don't know if this tweet/video has been posted yet, but it has some pretty cool action from Filip Petrusev, who will be playing with his Monteverde teammates this Thursday, March 29th in the quarter-finals against Lone Peak High School in the Geico Nationals at 3:00 PM PDT, televised on ESPNU, so set your DVRs. The boys semifinals will be held March 30 at noon and 2 p.m. PDT on ESPN2.

SLAM HS Hoops
    ‏ @SLAMonline_HS

Gonzaga got another skilled big man in Montverde Academy (FL) Senior Filip Petrusev! ���� @PetrusevFilip

Last edited by ZagNative; 03-27-2018 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Hmm...that's interesting since Aaron Holiday just declared for the draft, seems like he would have had the starting pg spot his for the taking.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...year-nba-draft
    Just read Bruin Report Online and they're saying Jaylen hands will be the starting pg next season. I know nothing about him, but he must be good enough the BW wasn't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Man, this thread has gone to hell ....

Oh well ... I don't know if this tweet/video has been posted yet, but it has some pretty cool action from Filip Petrusev:
    Thanks for posting that, looks like he's got the same high energy motor and similar skill set that Zach Collins has, just not as tall. If he's 75% of ZC, we got a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Best dunk I ever saw in person. So good, the whole St. Mary's bench cheered for him also!

Caught the ball behind his head on a rebound and had a one handed tomahawk jam jumping from just a little bit inside the free throw line!
    I was at that game too 1 Dog... that is still the best dunk I’ve seen live in a game ever...
    what made it extra surreal is that when Reason first made contact with the ball, it
    Never occurred to anyone in McKeon Pavilion that he could dunk that ball... seemed like he
    Floated in the air for an hour... until he reached the rim and just ripped it...
    just an amazing play. I had my son and two of his CYO teammates with me, and
    The looks of astonishment on their faces I will never forget.

from Adam Zagoria, "Jordan Brown Still Undecided On College Future, New Schools In The Mix"

Mar 26, 2018
    Adam Zagoria

No. 7 Jordan Brown remains undecided about his college plans, and several new schools are in the mix for the 6-foot-11 power forward from Napa Valley (CA) Prolific Prep.

"I kind of re-opened up and Stanford's gotten involved and also Arizona, too," he said Monday at a practice for this week's McDonald's All-American in Atlanta. "I'm just kind of waiting out the process now to figure things out because most of my time spent up until now was spent getting ready for this."

Stanford's Jerod Haase and Adam Cohen have reached out, while Arizona head coach Sean Miller has communicated with Dion Brown, Jordan's father.

"Both of those schools were schools that recruited me before," Brown said of the two Pac-12 schools.

Arizona doesn't have a single commit in the class of 2018 following the FBI investigation into college basketball that led to the arrest of former Arizona assistant Book Richardson last fall. Per an ESPN report, Miller was also alleged to have agreed to pay Arizona freshman Deandre Ayton $100,000, although both Miller and Ayton subsequently denied it.

"Just kind of waiting on how things go," Brown said of Arizona. "If things get cleared up, then I'm going to think more on it."

Brown has also been considering St. John's, Nevada, Gonzaga, Cal, Oregon, and Louisiana-Lafayette but said, "I haven't heard from UCLA recently."

UCLA did add a pledge this spring from 7-foot-2 Moses Brown of Archbishop Molloy (NY), who will play against Brown's West team in Wednesday's All-American game.

Jordan Brown has taken officials to St. John's, UCLA, Cal, and Louisiana-Lafayette. The destination for his fifth official visit remains in the air, with Gonzaga also in the mix.

"I'm just kind of keeping it in my back pocket for now," he said.

St. John's assistant Greg St. Jean is in constant contact with Brown. St. Jean and Red Storm head coach Chris Mullin also went to visit Brown at Prolific Prep.

"Yeah, I talk to [St. Jean] a lot," he said. "Really they've been there through the ups and downs, the times that have gone good and the times that have gone bad. They let it know be known that I'm the guy that they want and they're not going to give up on me just because of a bad game or show more interest over a good game. They're just sticking with me."

He's not in an immediate hurry to decide.

"Probably within the next month or two," he said.

from Adam Zagoria, "Jordan Brown Still Undecided On College Future, New Schools In The Mix"
    Dracula Miller refuses to die.......Jordan just stepped into the quintessential AAU environment, the Mickey D game, and is probably wondering why he didn't get more love from Blues.

Jordan could be waiting on Conference decision before deciding on visit no visit.

This thread really is ridiculously long and rambling, just an out-of-control mess. I spent most of the day (and am embarrassed to say I was up all night) reading each and every one of the 1468 posts , until I came up with this list of prospects mentioned in the thread, with only five remaining unsigned (in addition to Zag commits Greg Foster and Filip Petrusev) and only two who look to me like serious prospects, Brandon Williams and Jordan Brown:

At the bottom are listed two 2019 prospects, who were mentioned in the thread.

We've got one scholie left to fill for the 2018-19 season, unless someone leaves early. I hope it doesn't take another 1468 posts to figure out who gets the honor of filling that last slot. At least I hope I can control myself to resist looking at this mess of a thread any more.

This thread really is ridiculously long and rambling, just an out-of-control mess. I spent most of the day reading each and every one of the 1468 posts , and I came up with this list of prospects, with only five remaining unsigned (in addition to Zag commits Greg Foster and Filip Petrusev) and only two who look to me like serious prospects, Brandon Williams and Jordan Brown:

Good job, ZN. More K's than Koufax.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Jordan could be waiting on Conference decision before deciding on visit no visit.
    I don't think so. I think we were the same thing for Brandon and Mr. Cherry. Just names for the recognition on a list for the recognition. Mark with get the OKG's.

Louisiana and ST Johns got visits and we didn't, so lame. I think it's safe to say he can be removed from our serious prospects list. The only way I see that changing is if Tillie leaves.

This thread really is ridiculously long and rambling, just an out-of-control mess. I spent most of the day (and am embarrassed to say I was up all night) reading each and every one of the 1468 posts , until I came up with this list of prospects mentioned in the thread, with only five remaining unsigned (in addition to Zag commits Greg Foster and Filip Petrusev) and only two who look to me like serious prospects, Brandon Williams and Jordan Brown:

We've got one scholie left to fill for the 2018-19 season, unless someone leaves early. I hope it doesn't take another 1468 posts to figure out who gets the honor of filling that last slot. At least I hope I can control myself to resist looking at this mess of a thread any more.

You should totally complain about it more because that's more useful than the rest of the posts......you.....keep.....complaining......about .......