Thread: ZaGranny's Bucket List

Default ZaGranny's Bucket List

For the past few years, my bucket list has consisted of 2 main items.

1. To follow the Zags as far as they go each year.
    2. To go to places in Alaska and Canada i have not been to before.

So for the first one, we have followed the Zags to Portland, Denver Salt Lake, Houston. Last year we did not go to Denver because I fell 1/1/16 and broke my sacrum. We went to the 2016 WCC Tourney, although we flew to Vegas and stayed in a small apartment.

The year was the bucket list trip of all time.

We went to the WCC. When we got home, we were both sick, so we had to skip Salt Lake. But 2 weeks later we left for San Jose. It was wonderful. We stayed in Palo Alto. The games were fantastic, and we got to see a lot of Zag fans. After the Zags won, we had to figure out how to get to Phoenix. We thought about flying, but found out the flights from Spokane had all been booked---and were very expensive.

So we decided to drive to Las Mesa, and send a couple of days with my sister. We met her new dog and did some laundry.

From La Mesa we drove across I 8 to Yuma. One the way we stopped in El Centro. One of my former students (my former 2nd grade library assistant in Denver) has just moved there. He decided to go to Seminary. When got out he was assigned to a church in El Centro. We hadn't seen him and his wife for a few years, and we had never seen his baby, It so we decided to stop for a brief visit. The baby is very tall for a 1 year old--I hinted to his 6 ' dad that he should play for the Zags in 17 years.The visit was great, but even in March it was way too hot for me.

We drove to Yuma and decided to stay there for the night since we had an extra day. I still get very tired (due to my fall 15 months ago). Then we drove on to the Red Lion in Tempe.

I can only type for about 20 minutes, so I will finish this later.

ZaGranny
    Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Being at the final 4 was awesome. We saw a lot of people at the hotel, then went to the pre-game social--very expensive, but good food and great to se all the zag fans. I saw one woman that me met in Maui and have seen at several big ames since.

The first game was terrific. The only thing we regret was not paying more for better seats, especially since my glasses have been giving me trouble. Even at the MAC i have not been able to read the players numbers.

In this game, it was like watching little spiders running around. Fortunately, I am familiar enough with the way our players run and hold themselves that I can tell who they are.

I sat next to Bryan Albert's grandmother in the first half. That was fun. (As an aside, I am sorry to see him leave, and wish him luck wherever he ends up.) The second half, she left the ADA seats and went down to sit with the rest of the family.

It was a good game, and I was so proud of our guys.

AsI type this, I realized the it was a game in San Jose when I sat next to Bryan's grandmother--after a while, the games run together.

The games in Phoenix were where we sat up in the cheap seats.

The first game was fun. The second game, not so much--the guys played hard, but the refs made it hard to watch--18 would in about 10 minutes of the second half.

I was so proud of our guys for the season they had.

We left Tempe the next morning. It was amazing--people saw my Zag gear and came up to talk to me.

In Flagstaff, we stopped at a funky restaurant called the Toasted Owl. As I walked by the bar, one of 2 young men turned to me and said "I am so sorry for your loss!" My first thought was "Who died?" Then I realized he was talking about the Zags, and I barely managed to keep from giggling. We had a nice chat about the Zags.

After a delicious late breakfast, we went across the street to an antique store, where the owner again sympathized with me about the Zags. I had to keep telling people that while I was a little disappointed that we lost, I was not crushed, and was (am) extremely proud of our guys.

That conversation was repeated at every stop on the way home.

In Mesquite I had another odd experience. I was sitting int the car waiting while Mr. ID had gone into Walmart leaving the car running and the radio on. An elderly man came in front of the car, walked to the driver's door and opened it, getting ready to get in. I was rather startled, and said loudly "What are you doing in my car?" whiled looking for something to throw at him. The only thing I spotted was a large grapefruit, but before I could pick it up, he muttered an apology, and stumbled away. I watched him wander
    through the parking lot and back to the store.

I thought I should notify security, so we went in to the store, and I mentioned it to customer service. Long story short, the assistant manager came over to me and I told her the story--she asked what he was wearing and I told her. She asked what color my car was, and I said "orange." She said the man was her husband, that he had advanced alzheimer's and that their car was orange. I pointed out that he was in danger wandering around by himself.

I'll finish the rest of the trip later.

ZaGranny

We stayed in Fillmore Utah the next night. We ate again at the Garden of Eatin' cafe in the Paradise Inn. They had the best Biscuits and gravy I have ever had.

Then we went to FairmontHot Springs. They have 2 indoor pools and a large outdoor pool with a hot tub area. The supervisor helped me get into the indoor hot pool with the chair, but it wasn't vey hot, so she helped me into the outdoor pool (no chair). She helped me down the stairs across the cooler pool and over the wall into the hot poole. She was so nice. The pool was great.

We stayed overnight and ate at the restaurant. We have learned that they have delicious halibut fish and chips that is enough for the 2 of us to share. We even had leftovers.

We got up the next day, and I used the pool again.

The drive home was uneventful, except for our detour to Phillips burg to stop at the sweet palace for hard ginger candy. Un fortunately, they are closes on saturday, but we had some good bison chili.

We got home about 5:30. It felt like we had been gone for months. Our 3 dogs and cat thought so too.

ZaGranny

Default New bucket list

Having completed my main item on my bucket list, I have a new one:

1. Go to Alaska or Canada and visit a new spot.

2. Follow the Zags as far as they go next year.

3. Have surgery on my back so that I don't get as exhausted as I did on our trips this year. I am having the surgery on May 8 at deaconess.

ZaGranny
    Last edited by ZaGranny; 04-15-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: auto correct

thanks! I have always loved your stories. For most of this year I missed reading them Glad yu posted once again.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Sounds like a fantastic trip. I have spent many fun hours at Fairmont, it really is a great place.
    I'll say prayer for you on May 8th that your surgery goes well.

Thanks for sharing your odyssey, Zagranny. Thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery next month. Looking forward to more tales of your travels. And to seeing you next year.