Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving the WCC---WCC needs 1 additional "power" school

The higher education system is plagued with it's own problems, for profit or not. Most of those are in addition to money issues. Millions of kids are saddled with debt regardless of where they matriculate. Private, Public, for Profit, Nonprofit. It is an issue across the spectrum.

Many expect BYU to eventually leave the WCC for a better football opportunity. If/when that happens, it seems likely that instead of staying at 9 members, the WCC would look to add another school to make an even number. I doubt the WCC would kick out a school.

Would GCU be a viable replacement, assuming a successful conversion back to non-profit status, compared to other similar schools (Seattle, Denver, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    The higher education system is plagued with it's own problems, for profit or not. Most of those are in addition to money issues. Millions of kids are saddled with debt regardless of where they matriculate. Private, Public, for Profit, Nonprofit. It is an issue across the spectrum.
    No doubt. Colleges are the worst run institutions in the country. Been there. Still, for profits are in a class by themselves given their philosophy and student bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No doubt. Colleges are the worst run institutions in the country. Been there. Still, for profits are in a class by themselves given their philosophy and student bodies.
    What's wrong with their student bodies? Some of those schools are no doubt bad, but they are not all bad apples. I know first-hand that a decent education can be had through a for-profit school. I guess next we'll trash online programs as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZag View Post
    What's wrong with their student bodies? Some of those schools are no doubt bad, but they are not all bad apples. I know first-hand that a decent education can be had through a for-profit school. I guess next we'll trash online programs as well?
    Nothing is all bad apples....

I think Terry Porter will surprise people. Given what he had to work with in his first season there in Portland, I expect that program to improve significantly in the next couple of years.

I've brought this up before about GCU and people were bringing up the same for profit arguments... who cares if they are for profit and they fit into the league being religious based... GCU is the one school making the effort to be better and has the endowment to to stay relative. It's a school on the rise that we need to try and scoop up. I understand the arguments on how it will take away from us scheduling OOC games but the way conference realignments are going GU either has to get into a better league or find ways to strengthen our current league. Grand Canyon University can be of help plus it opens up the Arizona market for the league...

Gotta look at it long-term and not short term... It's another reason I scratch my head when people talk about GU leaving the conference and bringing SMC with us... That would be a disaster for a conference to take SMC because they are not set up for the long-term finacially and don't have the full financial support of their school. You would have to take BYU or another well endowed school from the WCC that has potential to grow in the future. But if we have to expand the WCC would be crazy not to give a hard look at GCU... I know Randy Bennett has already been on record being in support of their inclusion

For whatever it might be worth, San Jose State, UCSB, UNLV, Fresno State and Nevada-Reno were in the West Coast Conference, a few within living memory. I know an addition of SDSU, etc, might not jive with the current statement, but there is precedent to that idea.

I'm an SCU grad living in Denver, and DU is a beautiful campus with a very succesful athletic program beyond hoops, and the Summit League is a terrible fit for them. Their marquee sports aren't in that league- Hockey (NCHC), Lacrosse (Big East), Skiing (Rocky Mountain). DU was better this year under first year coach Rodney Billups (brother of Chauncey), and they have a very nice facility. DU is one of the schools with the most NCAA titles of any school, something like 30. They play for keeps, and they're in a large market. Much better fanbase than a comparable WCC school, say UP in Portland. DU sells tickets, and would be a good WCC fit, IMHO. The fear would be if BYU leaves, they're 1000 miles from nearest school. But as I mentioned, the Summit League isn't much better.

I would echo what a few have said- I think Sendek will improve SCU from this year into a sub-100 RPI team with a chance to dance or go to the NIT within a few seasons. We hauled in better recruiting class by our standards, and added a relatively coveted transfer, All-Ivy League G Henry Caruso from Princeton. SCU's admin has ponied up more money for coaching (much fuller complement than the interns KK had), recruiting (3 of the 4 players are East Coast, a rarity for SCU in years past, probably because of money), and scheduling (they just did a home-and-home with USC for the coming couple years). So I think there is momentum, SCU lost a few early with injuries and adjusting to a new system, and could have easily won 20+ games and been borderline NIT like USF. I do think USF will continue to rise as well...

I would counter what one of the posters here intoned- that SCU needs a new gym. It needs some new finishes, maybe, but not a new facility. SMC, Pepperdine, LMU certainly do (I thought Pepperdine was near breaking ground, but I guess not). I would, in terms of a pipe-dream, like to see the WCC teams take advantage of playing in a larger market and pony up to schedule bigger teams either at home or at local neutral sites. I remember SCU playing Kansas at the now-SAP center, and beating UNC at Oracle in the early 2000's, when the Nash-hype was still around.

At the end of the day, I have a hard time seeing USD, LMU, or Portland ever really being competitive. Everyone else, though, could improve a substantial amount. Then again, coming from an SCU family, I recall a time SMC was so routinely beaten like a drum by the rest of the league, we all said the same thing- who's laughing now?

A deeper and more consistent WCC is not unimaginable nor unrealistic- making it even more frustrating that it isn't the reality.