Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting up with Dukies at work

Default Putting up with Dukies at work

For the past 90 minutes, my IM has been filled with negative posts. I'm used to it, as Duke fans show no respect to other programs. He questioned Karno's heart and manhood, among other things. Rather than go tit for tat, I just sent him this:

Gonzaga 77, South Carolina 73...South Carolina 88, Duke 81. Coach K needs tougher players to move beyond the Sweet 16.

I forced myself to take in the ceremonies at the game and committed to staying until they played "One Shining Moment" in the arena. It was rough. The one thing that did bring a smile to my face was the loud cheer that the Tarheel fans gave when the clip was Duke getting eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    For the past 90 minutes, my IM has been filled with negative posts. I'm used to it, as Duke fans show no respect to other programs. He questioned Karno's heart and manhood, among other things. Rather than go tit for tat, I just sent him this:
    Just say this: Round of 32... NC game... Ne real comparison.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Their team was overrated all year and got bounced by SC who we beat. Who cares about duke
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Just say this: Round of 32... NC game... Ne real comparison.
    His response? "Butler is a better program than Gonzaga" and "Go back to the bench. I played D1 basketball, neither you nor you son can play."

The last remark was pretty telling. Trash talk is fine, until your children are pulled into it. I'm not expecting an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Their team was overrated all year and got bounced by SC who we beat. Who cares about duke
    He brought up Duke's titles, to which I replied "Duke is the past, Gonzaga is the future."

Yikes. Who is this guy? Is it sort of jokey fun or is this all serious?

His response? "Butler is a better program than Gonzaga" and "Go back to the bench. I played D1 basketball, neither you nor you son can play."

The last remark was pretty telling. Trash talk is fine, until your children are pulled into it. I'm not expecting an apology.
    Once I heard him bring my child into it... I'd ask him exactly how hard he'd like to be punched in the face.

BTW... is his name Grayson Allen?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Yikes. Who is this guy? Is it sort of jokey fun or is this all serious?
    It's serious with this guy. He's a 29 YO GS-12 who knows he's stuck for the next 15 years. The agency I work at is 60% women, and the supervisory hierarchy is 80% women. He's nearing the magic 30, where many of us started looking at different career paths. The bitterness seeps through daily.

You mind getting me in contact with him? Crazy illogical dude with thought processes I wouldn't even call 'arguments'.

Isn't D U K E the Germanic form of the French D O U C H E ? Ergo a Dukie is a .............
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Since he's lurking (I forgot to include his reminder that Duke has 5 NC's), I'll just put it out there that it's over the line to rag on another's children.

I would do one of the following.

1) Respond with *silence*

2) Turn off IM

Or...

3) "Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you’d had enough oxygen at birth?"

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Once I heard him bring my child into it... I'd ask him exactly how hard he'd like to be punched in the face.

Wow!! Trippy name!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Ask this guy what he is trippin' on....

I have never understood why Duke fans seems to hate Gonzaga more than any other program besides UNC. Was it something Few said? Something that one of GU's players did in a game against Duke?

Sorry to hear.

Best to ignore exchanges with ego challenged people from schools that place sports above civility .....or just do as LIZF suggests.

Sounds like an insecure ####ole. I'd just feel sorry for him and move on.

To me bringing up your kid just takes this from 99 to 100. Just "Butler is a better program than Gonzaga" and "Go back to the bench. I played D1 basketball" is enough that I'd stay away from the guy until he gets shipped to the psych ward. No normal person would make their insecurity that obvious. Keep an eye out.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Since he's lurking (I forgot to include his reminder that Duke has 5 NC's), I'll just put it out there that it's over the line to rag on another's children.
    If your work colleague is "lurking" here ... I'll remind him that all he's doing is bringing shame to an excellent University (Duke) and an excellent basketball program (Duke) ... and that virtually no one who's truly associated with the Duke Men's basketball program would support him (or his position) vis a vis Gonzaga.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Butler isn't even close to Gonzaga. Not as many elite eights, sweet sixteens, missed tournament 8 times since our run (which by the way we've missed zero tourneys) not as many conference tournament championships in a weaker league in the horizon) or regular season championships... yes I know they are in big east now... understand what I mean now?

Better program? Heck no. Oh and they don't have the family we do either, or the brand that Gonzaga does not do they have a spot for them on thursdays and Saturday's on TV just for Butler.... there's one for Gonzaga though

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    If your work colleague is "lurking" here ... I'll remind him that all he's doing is bringing shame to an excellent University (Duke) and an excellent basketball program (Duke) ... and that virtually no one who's truly associated with the Duke Men's basketball program would support him (or his position) vis a vis Gonzaga.
    This. Guy should he ASHAMED of himself .... and shouldn't be watching ball if he makes everything so personal. This is the BEST game. Basketball is fun! No reason to take it to levels of children. Completely uncalled for

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Unfortunately for him, his D1 basketball experience was for naught. He appears unfamiliar with the concept of sportsmanship. Sad.

Would it be crazy to suggest that some part of Zags fans LIKES having all these haters out there? It's become such a big part of the Zag Fan identity...ripping Jay Williams's tweet, and all the other ESPN guys who pick against us. We revel in it, and we rally around it. Ultimately, it creates camaraderie.

I doubt it is a Duke thing. This guy is just a sad insecure person who would be acting no different if he went to any other school.

I have three close friends who are Dukies. Cool, humble guys to the man and - surprise, surprise have been all cheering for Gonzaga for years. Maybe it is because they are West Coast guys and actually get to see the Zags play. They see more similarities with Gonzaga than differences. Their hate is for UNC and Kentucky.

I watched the Duke/Zags E8 match up with them and they were all complimentary and humble the whole way through. I recall them more ripping on Okafor's inability to defend for most of the game.

Anyways...just ignore the guy. If he has any sway on your emotional state...he is winning. Don't feed the trolls...

This. I'd be defensive once my son was brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    Unfortunately for him, his D1 basketball experience was for naught. He appears unfamiliar with the concept of sportsmanship. Sad.
    Played in an over 30 league with a D1 player. Which leads to the question... why on earth would a former D1 player be playing in an over 30 mens league at a church? Also, quite honestly the biggest jerk I ever played against. A guy on our team was in his early 50s... D1 player who had about 1 foot in height on him decides to go crazy and "back him down" in the post. Naturally, my teamate gets knocked on his keister. D1 player then proceeds to fall over the guy he had just knocked down. My teamate hops up and offers him a hand up, he smacks his hand away angrily. Ref called a foul on the floor, which aggravated him even more. I should note this guy complained about every call and said everything was a foul. I knew in an instant that they'd pass the ball into the jerk. When they did, I made sure I made as much contact as I could with this guy with a couple hard smacks to the arms as he went up. As I walked away from the play. As I went by the ref I said... "Now THAT was a foul." Took the ref a bit to compose himself from the laughter.