Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Karnowski's health?

  1. #1

    Default Karnowski's health?

    Was he under the weather or banged up a little bit? He was one of the most entertaining bigs I've seen in years and was so automatic for so long. On the biggest stage he pulled a Blake Stepp and kept missing shots in an NCAA game we've seen him make a thousand times during the regular season. I wonder if he was secretly battling something. Or was Meeks' presence making that big of a difference? I know the WCC doesn't have players like Meeks banging him down low, but I didn't think his impact was that significant. It looked mental.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAgraduate View Post
    Was he under the weather or banged up a little bit? He was one of the most entertaining bigs I've seen in years and was so automatic for so long. On the biggest stage he pulled a Blake Stepp and kept missing shots in an NCAA game we've seen him make a thousand times during the regular season. I wonder if he was secretly battling something. Or was Meeks' presence making that big of a difference? I know the WCC doesn't have players like Meeks banging him down low, but I didn't think his impact was that significant. It looked mental.
    I think Meeks made a bit of a difference, but overall I would say he just had a bad game. Not much more than that. Anyone is capable of putting up a stinker and thats what happened.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greenville, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAgraduate View Post
    Was he under the weather or banged up a little bit? He was one of the most entertaining bigs I've seen in years and was so automatic for so long. On the biggest stage he pulled a Blake Stepp and kept missing shots in an NCAA game we've seen him make a thousand times during the regular season. I wonder if he was secretly battling something. Or was Meeks' presence making that big of a difference? I know the WCC doesn't have players like Meeks banging him down low, but I didn't think his impact was that significant. It looked mental.
    I've heard this argument all day from UNC fans. Can the guy simply have a bad game? Eric Mika and Jock Landale are both just as good if not better than Meeks. He's had no problem with them in the past. It just wasn't meant to be.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I think Meeks made a bit of a difference, but overall I would say he just had a bad game. Not much more than that. Anyone is capable of putting up a stinker and thats what happened.
    Sometimes they just don't fall. "Funny" that he was well above both his rebounding and free throw averages but couldn't buy a bucket.

    PS I remember when Jerry West couldn't buy one. That stinker lasted weeks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,087

    Default

    Don't underestimate the aftermath of the eye gouge from
    Saturday's game. While it's true that Shem came back and played in the 2nd half ... the fact that the finger was in the eye almost up to the first knuckle could have been a contibuting factor to the bad shooting night 2 days later. Of course Meeks is a beast and it was a pressure packed situation.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  6. #6

    Default

    Early on it seems as if it was a combo of the defense by Meeks just him being slightly off on his shot. As the game went along, I think it became more of a confidence and fatigue issue. I wonder how much that affected Few's play calling at the end of the game in the two possessions we had after Nigel rolled his ankle. I think there is a good chance that if Collins is in the game at that point, he gets the ball on the post on at least one of those possessions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,069

    Default

    This is a guy who throughout his career seemed to play his best against the best... So I was surprised yesterday. I just think it was one of those days...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    This is a guy who throughout his career seemed to play his best against the best... So I was surprised yesterday. I just think it was one of those days...
    This. Karno is a big time player. Just didn't have it last night.
    Love the zags for life

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Foul trouble + extended minutes because of Collins' foul trouble on two-day turnaround.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    198

    Default

    I felt so sad when his shots were falling off. It was his biggest night, the most important one (up to date). But after couple of hours I was like 'Kris, don't be stupid. He was playing really good defense, his FT's were great - as you predicted. Sometimes you are just off, it happened to MJ, Curry and other greats, Karno has some great company!'.

    I am still a bit shaky after this game. I wanted this championship soooo badly ... but who knows, maybe I'll pop in to the States next year to see mr Collins winning it for Shem and others? :-)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    I contribute it to the defensive play of Meeks and to the fact that Karno hadn't gone up against a player like him all year long. Karno has been used to getting a small lift off the ball when he was shooting because he was playing against players who are smaller all year long. Meeks however required Karno to actually shoot the ball with some lift which sort of threw him off of his game a bit. He needed lift to get over Meeks and he wasn't used to the jumping which threw off his shot. This is the real answer to what happened to Karno's performance.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    I contribute it to the defensive play of Meeks and to the fact that Karno hadn't gone up against a player like him all year long. Karno has been used to getting a small lift off the ball when he was shooting because he was playing against players who are smaller all year long. Meeks however required Karno to actually shoot the ball with some lift which sort of threw him off of his game a bit. He needed lift to get over Meeks and he wasn't used to the jumping which threw off his shot. This is the real answer to what happened to Karno's performance.
    Late in the game he put his defender in a body bag with a spin, had the left wide open and missed the shot. It was a little bit Meeks' fault on the first attempt, maybe, but aside from that it was 100% mental. However, look back one year and imagine us criticizing Karno for his performance in a National Championship.. we'd all say we would have been happy with him just returning to basketball at all let alone making it to the final. Put us in a better league, Karno would have seen guys like Meeks in February and been prepared to put up 16-20 points in the title game. Such is life in the WCC.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    Late in the game he put his defender in a body bag with a spin, had the left wide open and missed the shot. It was a little bit Meeks' fault on the first attempt, maybe, but aside from that it was 100% mental. However, look back one year and imagine us criticizing Karno for his performance in a National Championship.. we'd all say we would have been happy with him just returning to basketball at all let alone making it to the final. Put us in a better league, Karno would have seen guys like Meeks in February and been prepared to put up 16-20 points in the title game. Such is life in the WCC.
    I disagree. He dominated Arizona in multiple occasions and other "big" schools. He had his normal shot vs Meeks and just missed. It happens and such is life as a hooper.
    Love the zags for life

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    From what I've heard, he was absolutely fatigued. Dunno why but apparently he was. If Karno had made only half of his bunnies, we'd have a title. It wasn't Meeks . It was Shem. Bad time to get so tired. Felt sorry for him. He just wasn't himself. With losing Collins in 14 minutes to fouls, and shooting 25% in the 2nd half I'm surprised we were still in that game with 2 minute left!! Our defense held. Our offense just went south.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •