Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The reason we lost

Default The reason we lost

This game was the least efficient game we played this year. Why? It wasn't because of the skill level of our players . I believe it was because of the mental and emotional drain that the 48 hours preceding this game took on our players. I think they were worn out mentally. Way to much hoopla and attention given to our guys constantly took it's toll. Putting our players in a mental frame they and our coaches had not experienced before. I do believe we were the best team on the floor that game. It's a learning experience that coaches and staff will learn from going forward. When ever you are the first to achieve something, especially of this magnitude, it is difficult. It will help the future teams for years. I am so proud of these guys. Thanks for the enjoyable experience of watching you perform this year Zag players.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

I am proud of them too regardless of outcome.

Still think Collins fouling out was the dagger though
    20 Straight Big Dances

10 Straight Round of 32s

9 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post

This. He dominated NC.
    Love the zags for life

The length and defensive intensity of UNC.

Pure and simple.
    I miss Mike Hart

+1000 I do think UNC experience in these moments was the difference. Next season, it will be GU with that experience. UNC came out in the second half with a purpose and the Zags were flat for the first 5 minutes.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Maybe they ate turkey sandwiches at half time.

Collins plays 5 more mins & we win.

Also, NWG and Karno were combined 6-26 from the field.

Karno was only doubled once. He missed at least 7 bunnies, easy layups shots he made all year, all career.

Same with Nigel. Missed runners & floaters that are automatic for him.

His bum ankle messed up his timing/jumping.

These are all excuses, yet IF Shem makes just 2 more of this 7 missed shots, or Nigel didnt roll an ankle vs SC, or Collins has 2 phantom fouls, we are National Champs today.

Even just 1 of those 3, we win.

Agree, on a phantom call at that.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

The bookends aspect of this game,
    Perkins turning the ball over in the first and last minute of the game did not help.

Roy stopped our 2 best players. He put length on NWG and sent players at ZC all night, imploring the refs for calls. He lived w Josh's scoring in the first half, much of which Josh gave back with egregious TOs. Karno was the wildcard and did not deliver.

Great season. NWG is gone, no way he plays a 5th year vs WCC talent. He will hope for a FA signing or go overseas and make half a mil type money. Needs to start honing his craft; Portland, Pep, etc not the place for that.

ZC another story. He's prob 50-50 but his best pal is leaving and the team will be weaker. Perform at the combine and he's gone.

Both gone, Zags will dip. A relative term, of course. Look for 25-28 wins and plenty of new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

Karno was only doubled once. He missed at least 7 bunnies, easy layups shots he made all year, all career.

These are all excuses, yet IF Shem makes just 2 more of this 7 missed shots, or Nigel didnt roll an ankle vs SC, or Collins has 2 phantom fouls, we are National Champs today.

Exactly, but UNC's experience and length created these effects coupled with the refs destroying any momentum for us to capitalize on our runs.
    Go Zags!!!

When you're looking at a 1 point game with under a minute to go, I don't think there is a "reason" we lost. It's just the way games go. I understand talking about things we could have done differently, things North Carolina did well, things we did poorly, etc. etc. but at the end of the day coming up with a reason one team lost a back and forth game attempts to change one component of an extremely complicated, dynamic event while leaving all of the other components the same. That might give you a contributing factor to a loss, but it isn't "the reason" we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

NWG faced a big challenge in Jackson, but he still missed so many of his bread and butter shots. The other guards needed to step up. Berry would seem to have been the guy to attack.

I agree that Shem seemed to get into the shots he wanted and just missed them. Poor guy. I'm sure he feels terrible about it.

Collins was the most effect player out there. It's really too bad he couldn't stay in the game. A more experienced player might adapt to the way the game was called and find a way to avoid a few of those fouls. I don't know, though. It was tough to watch.

So many woulda, coulda, shouldas running through my mind during this hangover after the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The length and defensive intensity of UNC.

Pure and simple.
    in a nutshell ...

I don't think there is ever one thing that leads to a loss. It's a multitude of things. It has an accumulative effect.

I don't think Gonzaga played particularly well for most of the 2nd half. It was amazing to me they were actually IN the game they played so poorly.

The refs ruined the game for both teams. I do think it had a bigger effect on us, considering that Karnowski had close to the worst offensive game of his career and Collins fouled out, so no help there.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I don't think Gonzaga played particularly well for most of the 2nd half. It was amazing to me they were actually IN the game they played so poorly.

The refs ruined the game for both teams. I do think it had a bigger effect on us, considering that Karnowski had close to the worst offensive game of his career and Collins fouled out, so no help there.
    This time the entire nation is "you know what" about the officiating. I'm most upset about the flagrant foul called on Karno.
    The poor guy has been criminally assaulted time and time again and he get's tagged for ...........WHAT!? Ridiculous!

First and foremost congratulations to UNC. They weathered the hype, the Zags and the officials by just enough to pull out a victory. For Yesterday anyway, they were the better team.

Several issues about the Zags game yesterday and it was very similar to the BYU game we lost.

- 2nd half shooting was dismal - we only shot 27.6% overall and 30% from 3-point range.
    - Karno was only 1-8 and most of the misses were bunnies. He shoots 60% for the season.
    - 14 turnovers leading to 15 UNC points. We average only 9 turnovers a game.
    - We shot only 65.4% from the charity stripe and Karno was 7-9. Where was everybody else.
    - We got outscored in the Paint 40-18. Yes we had foul problems but this should have been much closer.
    - We did not get the ball to the bigs to force UNC to foul us, it was always us fouling them.
    - The officiating which kept the game from getting any flow and kept players out of the game.

I find in hard to blame the refs for the loss, when GU played (offensively) so far off their season averages. Clean up your game first, and then maybe you have a leg to stand on. Blaming the refs is like asking them to keep us in the game no matter how poorly we played offensively. Yes UNC is a very good team that creates some particular problems, but I was not and still am not scared of them. If we both play to our ability and the refs keep the whistle out of their mouths, I think we win 3 out of 5.

Goss's ankle probably hurt his effectiveness. Karno just looked tired from the get go. Stupid turnovers which gave the momentum to UNC to start the 2nd half. You simply cannot make these kinds of errors against a top tier team and expect to win. Neither team played their best. UNC simply made more plays at the end.

Thank you to the team, players, coaches, staff and the fans for a fabulous season. Already looking forward to next October. NWG and ZC come back and let's make another run at it.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Roy stopped our 2 best players. He put length on NWG and sent players at ZC all night, imploring the refs for calls. He lived w Josh's scoring in the first half, much of which Josh gave back with egregious TOs. Karno was the wildcard and did not deliver.

Great season. NWG is gone, no way he plays a 5th year vs WCC talent. He will hope for a FA signing or go overseas and make half a mil type money. Needs to start honing his craft; Portland, Pep, etc not the place for that.

ZC another story. He's prob 50-50 but his best pal is leaving and the team will be weaker. Perform at the combine and he's gone.

Both gone, Zags will dip. A relative term, of course. Look for 25-28 wins and plenty of new faces.
    It didn't take you long to start spelling D O O M for the Zags! What was it? One day? Or was it a half? This must have been a tough season for you to see the Zags have so much success. And Few especially.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Ball didn't go in the hole enough....does make you think there are basketball gods and the road to the top of the mountain is steep....Gonzaga Mentality...ain't much of a hill for climber...Ball just didn't go in the hole....we missed enough free throws and open shots to win going away....no ones fault....Ball didn't go in the hole....

Love this TEAM....

Go!! Zags!!!

We got beat by a better team on that given Monday night. That's pretty much the story.

Seriously....who cares! We had a great season and all the accolades go out to the kids who played their hearts out all season long! I'm just very proud to be a Zag!

Quote Originally Posted by titopoet View Post
    +1000 I do think UNC experience in these moments was the difference. Next season, it will be GU with that experience. UNC came out in the second half with a purpose and the Zags were flat for the first 5 minutes.
    Depending on who comes back for Gonzaga and who you add via transfer/recruiting... I expect Gonzaga to have an excellent chance at a 1 seed. Given that they will have an excellent chance at a return to the title game. If it happens, I bet Gonzaga comes out fierce in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    We got beat by a better team on that given Monday night. That's pretty much the story.
    That's what makes this tournament the crap shoot it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel Jumpmaster View Post
    Depending on who comes back for Gonzaga and who you add via transfer/recruiting... I expect Gonzaga to have an excellent chance at a 1 seed. Given that they will have an excellent chance at a return to the title game. If it happens, I bet Gonzaga comes out fierce in the second half.
    Thanks for the kind words, Tar Heel, but don't you think it's a bit early to talk about the Zags as a number one seed next year and even returning to the title game.