Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Destiny Slocum leaving Maryland

Default Destiny Slocum leaving Maryland

Big news! Big 10 freshman of the year. From Idaho, originally committed to UW before changing her mind and heading east. Apparently it was originally reported she wanted to be closer to home, but now that verbiage has disappeared. Still, I'd think every team in the Western half of the country would be reaching out to her to gauge her interest. Gonzaga is pretty close to Idaho isn't it....(that's a rhetorical question, I know it's very very close to the panhandle).

I saw this on ESPNW. In addition two other scholarship players are leaving Maryland as well as Destiny Slocum.

I wish she was a big (our biggest need) but you can not turn down the B-10 Freshman of the year even if she is a point guard. However, she is only a freshman and would have to sit out a year in any case, thus LS would be a Senior when she would be eligible to play.

We are the best choice for a competitive school closest to her home town but we would have to see if she is interested in playing for a school in a non-Power Conference.

Now that the season is over, you will get to see which players are interested in changing schools or graduate transfers. Hopefully we can find another big that would like to come to Spokane.

ZagDad

Where's Terpzag? Can't be very happy w/ the mass exodus.

I did not remember that Destiny Slocum was the young lady who hit the 70' shot just before halftime. She must be incredibly strong to have the two handed over the head soccer inbounds shot go 70' feet and drop in. Here is a link:

https://twitter.com/ConnorNewcomb_/s...603968/photo/1

I see that she was a 5-star recruit, with a position rank of 3 and a grade of 98. Would be a great person to get if we get the chance.

ZagDad

Home is a lot closer to U of Utah than Gonzaga.

This news regarding Destiny Slocum came as a surprise to me...the other two announced transfers are not surprising especially Kiah Gillespie. She has struggled to find a place on the team to match her hearlded high school talent.

Here are a couple of links to 2 stories:

Destiny Slocum’s transfer from Maryland women’s basketball thrusts the roster into uncertainty

...It’s nobody’s job to speculate why players leave programs, but the only reasonable explanation for Slocum’s departure is that she needs to be closer to home. She grew up in Idaho and dealt with plenty of family health issues as a child. From the Baltimore Sun:

In a late-January interview, Slocum said she initially thought Maryland was too far away from her family’s home in Meridian, Idaho. She had helped nurse her mother through breast cancer and had grown up with her father coaching her every day.

The Washington Post’s Gene Wang raised similar points after reporting on the transfers, though he didn’t name anyone specific.

Gene Wang ✔ @gene_wang

Homesickness for some, lack of playing time for others. https://twitter.com/jfusfield/status/849233980859854848
    5:20 AM - 4 Apr 2017...

Freshman of the year Destiny Slocum to transfer from Maryland

...Slocum brought an infectious style to College Park, throwing her stout frame around with abandon and exhorting teammates with fiery gestures. The look of disbelief on her face after she sunk a 70-foot buzzer beater in the second round of the NCAA tournament was a highlight of the Terps’ season, which ended with a loss to Oregon in the Sweet Sixteen.

In a late-January interview, Slocum said she initially thought Maryland was too far away from her family’s home in Meridian, Idaho. She had helped nurse her mother through breast cancer and had grown up with her father coaching her every day.

“It’s busy all the time here,” she said of College Park. “I feel like it never gets quiet.”...
    I hope she finds a great place to land and enjoys the rest of her college career.

Gonzaga is about 100miles or so farther away from Meridian Idaho than Meridian is to SLC and the UofU. the Oregon schools are approx 100 miles or more farther away from Meridian than it is from Spokane....

but it really depends on what DS wants.... if she wants a BASKETBALL school, thru and thru, with an active fan base, Gonzaga is the place...

maybe she wants a big school, but she's coming from a big school....

heck, maybe she wants BYU. .

apparently, there are lots of transfers out there and I hope our coaches are on their game....

My bet is on Oregon State.

I saw that Slocum is following Rueck on twitter, no other coaches at this point. That may be some kind of indication.

Oregon and Oregon St. both had nice support for their women's teams this year. I KNOW there were some big crowds watching UW this year, I was part of several of those crowds. GU isn't the only school in the NW that supports their women's bball team.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I saw that Slocum is following Rueck on twitter, no other coaches at this point. That may be some kind of indication.

Oregon and Oregon St. both had nice support for their women's teams this year. I KNOW there were some big crowds watching UW this year, I was part of several of those crowds. GU isn't the only school in the NW that supports their women's bball team.
    I fully agree with you with one caveat. GU has supported their women's program for a very long period of time, through a coaching change and a less than successful season. That cannot be said of the other programs. Scott has done a great job at OSU and has changed the culture at OSU, but we will see if the support continues when times are not as good. The ducks were relatively poorly supported when they were losing. Since the hire of KG, he has turned the team around and the fan support has reflected the team's improved performance. The fan support, for the Huskies prior to Kelsey Plum and Neighbors was, excuse the pun, for the dogs. Obviously it is much easier to support winning programs, than to support mediocre or poor programs. Let's admit that GU has done it longer than everybody else.

I fully expect that Scott will continue to be successful at OSU and we know based on KG's experience at GU, it is likely that the Duck program will continue to grow and flourish. I expect the fan support will continue to grow for these winning programs. I am not so sure about the Huskies. UW fans have a well earned reputation for being relatively fickle. With a new coach, and without Plum and Oshahor, we will see if the Huskies can retain this relatively new found fan support.

ZagDad

The chips continue to fall. Notre Dame is losing two (2) players.

Erin Boley and Ali Patberg will transfer from the Notre Dame women's basketball program.

Boley was the 2016 Gatorade National Player of the Year and a McDonald's All American as a high school senior. The 6-foot-2 forward played in 37 games with 10 starts last season and averaged 6.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 15.0 minutes. She shot 39.5 percent from 3-point range, where her 119 attempts were the third most on the team.

Boley saw her role increase after All-American Brianna Turner went down with a torn ACL.

Patberg missed the 2015-16 season with a torn ACL after being named the 2015 MaxPreps National High School Player of the Year as a senior. The 5-10 guard played in 22 games last season and averaged 0.8 points in 7.7 minutes.
    ZagDad

Tia Jackson just about killed the program at UW. Fan support had been fairly strong before that, dating back prior to Graves at GU. Fans were kind of slow to come back, even after McGuff and then Neighbors started winning. This year was a perfect storm, coming off a Final 4 appearance then Plum having a historical season during her Sr. year. Remains to be seen what happens next year.

UW volleyball has had a strong following for well over a decade. I think generally speaking women's sports are fairly well supported in Seattle. Now Romar's crew is a different story, fan support definitely waxed and waned depending on how successful they were.

with LS here, the Pg position is filled for a couple more years...I'm sure Slocum would want to be a starter....I have a lot of faith in Jessie...

what we need is a big and there are lots of transfers out there and I hope our staff is watching....

losing Grace leaves a hole.....

I think with Plum gone UW will struggle....I think OSU was built around 2-3 players that are no longer there....

WSU will be good.....

of course the Zags will be amazing.....

as far as fanship, the Lady Zags have had a STEADY fan base for many years, and infact I think we're over 4000 STH's now....UW is a huge market and I would expect them to support the local team, shame on them if they don't ....

I think IMO of course, that the best womens bb is played out west...I'm prejudiced I know...the teams play good clean bb for the most part and they're attracting a lot of really good recruits overall..

I hope that the WCC can continue to build its reputation....they need to get out and play the power conferences and win a few....we need to get at least two teams into the Ncaa's each year.

I don't think any team in the country lost as much production from a pair of players as UW does w/ Plum and Osahor (approx. 50 points, 20 rebs and 10 assists per game combined), nor 2 players who were as key to their team's success. Not exactly going out on a limb to suggest UW will not be as good next year.

OSU was predicted to finish 5th in the conference after losing 3 starters from the previous year. They went out and won the league again and had nearly an identical record to the previous season. Now that Wiese has used up her eligibility they will again be predicted to tumble in the conference standings. I think they will surprise again. Probably won't win the conference, but I think they still stay in the upper half or even upper third, and I think they finish ahead of WSU. There's more left on that roster than many think, and a good recruiting class coming in.

Yes our greatest need next year would be to increase our height and depth at the 4/5 position. However, you don't always get a chance to get the ideal player at the ideal position. You need to look for any opportunity to upgrade or make your team better.

While it likely will be a moot point, in all difference to LS and JL who are very fine players, Slocum would be an upgrade at point and would definitely improve the team. A five star recruit in the top 3 at her position versus a 3-star recruit in the top 30 in her position. Look at the talent level of Zach Collins, the first 5-star recruit by the men. There simply is a skill level difference between 5-star players and 3-star players. Odds are we have a very little chance to land Slocum, but if she was interested, we definitely should offer her.

While we could start to hear about transfers, don't expect to hear about GU offering any scholarships much before the end of May. Any potential transfers have to secure their release first and if the are a grad transfer, they have to graduate before they can be offered a scholarship. If we get any transfers I would expect to hear something in the next 6-8 weeks and any new high school scholarships for the 2018-2019 year would likely be announced in July.

ZagDad

Another big transfer announced today--Beatrice Mompremier from Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Another big transfer announced today--Beatrice Mompremier from Baylor.
    Right size (6'-4") and plays the right position (post) but is from Miami, Florida and all of her college offers were from the ACC and SEC, so not much hope unfortunately.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Right size (6'-4") and plays the right position (post) but is from Miami, Florida and all of her college offers were from the ACC and SEC, so not much hope unfortunately.

ZagDad
    '
    Lauren Yearwood reserve 6ft-3" forward at Oregon from Victoria, Canada looking at the WAC conference as well as others. Released to transfer.

Yearwood said she’s looking mostly at institutions in the WCC, Mountain West, Big West and WAC. She’s also talked with a few Ivy League schools.

Not a big scorer but good student.

http://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/04/...e-to-transfer/

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    '
    Lauren Yearwood reserve 6ft-3" forward at Oregon from Victoria, Canada looking at the WAC conference as well as others. Released to transfer.

Yearwood said she’s looking mostly at institutions in the WCC, Mountain West, Big West and WAC. She’s also talked with a few Ivy League schools.

Not a big scorer but good student.

http://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/04/...e-to-transfer/

why all these transfers?......some are "encouraged" to transfer and despite all the happy talk you know that this gal saw that she was not going to get playing time, even though she was recruited by KG.....Devon Galland transferred from Oregon as well last year or the year before I think.

there just seems to be a lot of transfers all across the country......I still feel bad about Kacie leaving....I'm sure she saw the writing on the wall too....

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    why all these transfers?......some are "encouraged" to transfer and despite all the happy talk you know that this gal saw that she was not going to get playing time, even though she was recruited by KG.....Devon Galland transferred from Oregon as well last year or the year before I think.

there just seems to be a lot of transfers all across the country......I still feel bad about Kacie leaving....I'm sure she saw the writing on the wall too....
    Players leave or change schools for all sorts of reasons. Mak and Karr transferred to GU due to issues with their former teams (coaches and/or players). Redmond left UW due to a coaching change. Look at the GU men's team this year. Mathews, Williams-Goss & Williams. All wanted a chance to play on a winning, NCAA tourney bound team and wanted to develop and expand their game. Playing time was not a factor in any of these transfers.

GU has had kids transfer in and had kids transfer out. We love the kids that transfer in and bemoan the kids that transfer out. We all saw how a lack of team chemistry affected the team last year. If somebody is unhappy where they are at, it usually is in the best interest of all parties that they go where they think they may be better suited.

I really appreciate coaches like LF and KG who routinely give their kids an "unconditional" release from their scholarships when requested allowing the kids to go where they think they will fit best. Compared this with UW who would not release Redmond from her scholarship after the coaching change or Kansas State who wanted to limit the teams she could transfer to. Romero had to file a lawsuit before she got her release from K-State.

Kacie, transferred back to her hometown with very high hopes but ended her season in August with a knee surgery. She has had a very rough time in her collegiate career.

ZagDad

how do you find these things out?...re: Kacie?

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    how do you find these things out?...re: Kacie?
    I was interested in how Kacie was doing so I checked out the Lethbridge women's web site and facebook page back in August/September. I noticed that Kacie was in the team pictures but she was not listed on the team roster. In the last team picture I saw she had a brace on her knee. So I went to Kacie's personal facebook/twitter page and went backward to where she mentioned she had just got out of the hospital after having knee surgery in August.

I just checked the official team picture and roster and she is now listed on the roster. Here is the link.

http://gohorns.ca/roster.aspx?path=wbball

I checked KB's twitter page - see link below. There is a Jan. 5, 2017 posting that indicates she is coming back from an ACL tear. KB has an Aug. 27 posting she was getting out of the hospital. I never did find when she hurt her knee.

https://twitter.com/kaciebosch

ZagDad

thx....I hope she has a fantastic season....

did everybody know that our former recruit Laura Cornelius actually is with the U. of Miami now?

Kacie was a favorite of mine. I sent her a message on Facebook after she left, thanking her for her time at Gonzaga and wishing her well at Lethbridge. She was kind enough to respond, and told me the injury happened shortly after she got back home, an ACL, and would take away her upcoming season. I'm looking forward to watching her stats for next year. There's no doubt she'll be a star on the court and will get to do it in her home town as well. Some players just seem to have terrible luck in their college careers. I hope the bad luck is over for Kacie, and wish her nothing but the best in the future.