Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible grad transfer?

Default Possible grad transfer?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...10/tim-kempton

If the name sounds familiar his dad was an NBA journeyman for several years.

I always forget. When do we start reading about possibilities like this? May?
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I always forget. When do we start reading about possibilities like this? May?
    Around now through June.

I like Kempton for several reasons; 1. great numbers, check out his boxscore vs BU! 2. NBA pedigree. 3. Stretch big. 4. West Coast guy, growing up in Phoenix as his dad played for the Suns. 5. Position of need; center depth.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...10/tim-kempton

If the name sounds familiar his dad was an NBA journeyman for several years.
    Looks like his eligibility is used up.

The more I read about this guy, the more I think he'd be a perfect fit for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kempton_Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Looks like his eligibility is used up.
    Oh, shoot, did I get the rules mixed up? I thought that if you graduate in 4 years without red shirting, you could get a 5th year at a different school, as long as they have a masters program that the current school does not offer. Do I have the rules wrong? I'm so stupid, my bad.

The more I read about this guy, the more I think he'd be a perfect fit for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kempton_Jr.
    Look up his stats...he's used up his eligibility, played 123 games over four years: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...kempton-2.html

Oh, shoot, did I get the rules mixed up? I thought that if you graduate in 4 years without red shirting, you could get a 5th year at a different school, as long as they have a masters program that the current school does not offer. Do I have the rules wrong? I'm so stupid, my bad.
    Yes, you only get 4 years of eligibility. It is meant for players who graduated after using 3 years of eligibility (either graduate in 3 or 3 + redshirt).

Graduate Exception

The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.
    •The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
    •The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
    The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
    •The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
    http://www.athleticscholarships.net/...exceptions.htm

Oh wow, I'm so sorry guys and gals. I totally misunderstood the grad transfer rule. I didn't realize that it was for players that graduated in 3 years (how is that even possible, talk about over achievers, lol). I thought it was for players that graduated in 4 and never took a redshirt. My apologies for being a dumb dumb.

Most of the time it's a player who DID take a redshirt year, competes for 3 years, graduates after 4 years but has one year of eligibility remaining due to the RS.

Mathews was definitely an exception, not many student-athletes complete their undergraduate degree in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Most of the time it's a player who DID take a redshirt year, competes for 3 years, graduates after 4 years but has one year of eligibility remaining due to the RS.
    Oh, ok. So how would one even go about looking that up?

Oh, ok. So how would one even go about looking that up?
    Trying to figure out which players would be eligible as grad transfers? Somewhere, somebody has probably compiled a list, but I don't think there's anything official, like a database or anything. Short of looking at every single roster and scanning for RS Jr., I'm not sure. Probably just wait a couple weeks and the declarations of intending to transfer will be like a flood.

Trying to figure out which players would be eligible as grad transfers? Somewhere, somebody has probably compiled a list, but I don't think there's anything official, like a database or anything. Short of looking at every single roster and scanning for RS Jr., I'm not sure. Probably just wait a couple weeks and the declarations of intending to transfer will be like a flood.
    Yeah, I mean, how would you even know if someone was a redshirt junior?

According to this website: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...n-s-basketball, there were over 600 applications filed for basketball. I would think that's where it starts, absent a player's stated desire to transfer.

Ok, would this guy be an example of a potentially eligible grad transfer:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...revor-thompson

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    2016-17 OSU 23.0 3.9-6.8 .571 0.0-0.0 .000 2.8-3.9 .720 9.2 0.4 1.5 0.4 3.5 1.4 10.6
    2015-16 OSU 17.9 2.4-4.6 .522 0.0-0.0 .000 1.7-2.3 .750 5.1 0.2 1.2 0.3 2.8 1.2 6.5
    2014-15 OSU 1.0 0.0-0.0 .000 0.0-0.0 .000 0.0-0.0 .000 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
    2013-14 VT 16.2 1.7-4.1 .410 0.0-0.0 .000 1.6-2.5 .653 4.7 0.2 0.9 0.3 2.5 1.5 5.0

Tons of good grad transfers on the market, hopefully we won't have space for any of them.

Yes Spy, assuming he's on pace to graduate, that's exactly the type that would be an immediately eligible transfer.

Yes Spy, assuming he's on pace to graduate, that's exactly the type that would be an immediately eligible transfer.
    Awesome seacatfan, thanks for being patient with me and explaining it to me. I saw that he was a junior, but had already had 4 years, so that's why I asked about him.

He seems kinda raw, but played for a bigtime program at OSU. Put up some stinkers, but some great games too; 17/17 vs UConn, 15/15 vs Minnesota, 19/11 vs Indiana. great size at 7'0 250 and could bridge the gap for Larsen for a year, if ZC does leave.

Awesome seacatfan, thanks for being patient with me and explaining it to me. I saw that he was a junior, but had already had 4 years, so that's why I asked about him.

He seems kinda raw, but played for a bigtime program at OSU. Put up some stinkers, but some great games too; 17/17 vs UConn, 15/15 vs Minnesota, 19/11 vs Indiana. great size at 7'0 250 and could bridge the gap for Larsen for a year, if ZC does leave.

His efficiency stats look good, as well. Also, he's an athletic big with good feet, and it appears he works well in a screen offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    His efficiency stats look good, as well. Also, he's an athletic big with good feet, and it appears he works well in a screen offense.
    Yeah, if he is eligible, I think he's ideal.

Here is a list of possible candidates that you guys can dig around on. Not sure how complete it is, but this blogger compiled one last year. Seems like a nice list to me to bang around some ideas.

http://georgiabasketballblog.com/pos...-18-hot-board/

Well there you go. Thanks Mojo!

I thought I heard Xavier Rathan-Mayes is going pro.

Marcus Keene?! If he decides to transfer, he probably jumps to the top of the list. 30 ppg last year.