Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 601 to 625 of 704

Thread: Possible grad transfer?

  1. #601
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,823

    Cool Yes, Euros? No, Euros?

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I sure hope so! Maybe my memory is bad, but this is the least exciting summer i think i can recall as a zags fan.. at least in the past 10 years or so. Swing and misses left and right, no late signings, no transfers---- I WANT SOMETHING TO GET ME EXCITED! We still in on the Europeans? Hawkins? Onwuasor? Something!
    We've TEN on scholarship now? Or, with Jeremy Jones, ELEVEN?

    Here's an idea on a Euro: If we're trying to fill two needs with offers to USA guards & bigs, and assuming we sign one of each, at TEN scholarships that leaves room for one Euro. At ELEVEN scholarships, no Euro.


    :]

    (...besides Ayayi, of course...)
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    We're looking for Goss 2.0, not Pargo 1.0.
    we already have Goss 2.0. His name is Norvell.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Hawkins visited New Mexico last week. Is the Gonzaga visit still on? Has he already visited? Have we cooled on him? Anything info out there?
    I believe that Hawkins is not scheduled to visit GU yet. I have not heard how his visit to New Mexico went. I have heard nothing about Gonzaga being interested in him. Onwuasor is scheduled to visit next week. I believe on Aug 1st. That's Tuesday I think; so we should know about whether Gonzaga offers pretty soon.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I believe that Hawkins is not scheduled to visit GU yet. I have not heard how his visit to New Mexico went. I have heard nothing about Gonzaga being interested in him. Onwuasor is scheduled to visit next week. I believe on Aug 1st. That's Tuesday I think; so we should know about whether Gonzaga offers pretty soon.
    Rothstein is a very solid source: https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...70113009872896

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    I agree that Rothstein is a good source and reliable. Thanks for pointing that out. I sure haven't heard anything about him coming though. Has not set a date. Nor have I heard anything about his visit to U of Mexico.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  6. #606

    Default

    I don't know if anyone has posted this, but go get him Mark.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...eeks-enrolling

  7. #607
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SageOfZagville View Post
    I don't know if anyone has posted this, but go get him Mark.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...eeks-enrolling
    Mitchell is incredibly skilled but raises a ton of red flags. Plus, I'm not sure how he will get a waiver if he signed a LOI and enrolled in classes at WKU. Honestly I don't know if there is any precedent for a case like this. My guess is he will play pro ball overseas and then go to the NBA.

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SageOfZagville View Post
    I don't know if anyone has posted this, but go get him Mark.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...eeks-enrolling
    Wrong thread, he's not a grad transfer, he's a true freshman. Someone already posted about him in the 2017 recruits thread.

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    we already have Goss 2.0. His name is Norvell.
    No, we don't! I expect great things from ZN this year, but I have seen nothing that tells me he is a Williams-Goss type point guard. We have zero need for another guard unless he is an elite level point guard. What we very very much need is an exceptional post player to compliment Larson.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    No, we don't! I expect great things from ZN this year, but I have seen nothing that tells me he is a Williams-Goss type point guard. We have zero need for another guard unless he is an elite level point guard. What we very very much need is an exceptional post player to compliment Larson.
    Who? I'm convinced Larson is the new Biggs McGee...but I do look forward to having him actually step on a basketball court. Until then, we have (fans, not coaches) no idea what this kid can bring to elite level D-1 basketball. And ... if fullfainess and disclose I base this premonition on limited posts about his ability and injury over the last 5 months...

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    No, we don't! I expect great things from ZN this year, but I have seen nothing that tells me he is a Williams-Goss type point guard. We have zero need for another guard unless he is an elite level point guard. What we very very much need is an exceptional post player to compliment Larson.
    The Zags are not going to recruit a player like Williams-Goss this year; and imo; we don't need one. I continue to believe that Norvell will be a great replacement for Williams-Goss in time. Most likely not this year. Let's give him some time to get more experience. Out of all the new players I am most excited about Norvell. We have not had a guard who was 6'5" since Matt Bouldin; and in my opinion Bouldin was one of Gonzaga's greatest guards. He averaged 15.6 his senior year. Bouldin only averaged 8.9 his freshman season; so let's see if Norvell can beat that. A player doesn't have to be a point guard to a great player.

    I really like our guards this year. We have a stable full of them. I can't remember a year when the Zags were this talented at the guard positions: Perkins; Melson; Norvell; Wade; kispert and some possibility that Rui could play at the 3 part time. Their talent is also very diverse. I don't see a Williams-Goss in this group this year; and the Zags won't need one because there are 6 players who can play at the guard position and they will make up the difference in those points. Last year the guards averaged about 41 ppg and my guess for this year is that our guards will average 49 ppg. The post players last year: PK; JW3; Collins; Tillie; averaged 36.7 ppg. My prediction for the average points for our post players this year (JW3; Tillie; Hachimura and Larsen) is 33 ppg.

    Guards:

    Norvell 13.5
    Melson 10.3
    Perkins 10.2
    Kispert 10.0
    Wade 5.0

    Total number of points for guards: 49
    Post Players

    JW3 12.2
    Hachimura 9.1
    Tillie 7.5
    Larsen 4.2

    Total number of points for post players: 33

    Total number of points for the team: 82.0
    Last edited by Reborn; 07-30-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  12. #612
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    The Zags are not going to recruit a player like Williams-Goss this year; and imo; we don't need one. I continue to believe that Norvell will be a great replacement for Williams-Goss in time. Most likely not this year. Let's give him some time to get more experience. Out of all the new players I am most excited about Norvell. We have not had a guard who was 6'5" since Matt Bouldin; and in my opinion Bouldin was one of Gonzaga's greatest guards. He averaged 15.6 his senior year. Bouldin only averaged 8.9 his freshman season; so let's see if Norvell can beat that. A player doesn't have to be a point guard to a great player.

    I really like our guards this year. We have a stable full of them. I can't remember a year when the Zags were this talented at the guard positions: Perkins; Melson; Norvell; Wade; kispert and some possibility that Rui could play at the 3 part time. Their talent is also very diverse. I don't see a Williams-Goss in this group this year; and the Zags won't need one because there are 6 players who can play at the guard position and they will make up the difference in those points. Last year the guards averaged about 41 ppg and my guess for this year is that our guards will average 49 ppg. The post players last year: PK; JW3; Collins; Tillie; averaged 36.7 ppg. My prediction for the average points for our post players this year (JW3; Tillie; Hachimura and Larsen) is 33 ppg.

    Guards:

    Norvell 13.5
    Melson 10.3
    Perkins 10.2
    Kispert 10.0
    Wade 5.0

    Post Players

    JW3 12.2
    Hachimura 9.1
    Tillie 7.5
    Larsen 4.2
    oh, i think i get it. by "goss 2.0" earlier, you meant "a good guard"-- not necessarily that his game is in any meaningful way stylistically like goss' or even that he will play the same position. i was pretty confused before you kinda clarified here.

  13. #613
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    oh, i think i get it. by "goss 2.0" earlier, you meant "a good guard"-- not necessarily that his game is in any meaningful way stylistically like goss' or even that he will play the same position. i was pretty confused before you kinda clarified here.
    Sorry about that confusion. I thought maybe I wasn't as clear as i could have been: so I thought I'd try to explain it better. Thanks for the feedback. I don't feel Norvell will ever be the point guard. We may never have a point guard as good as NWG. Perkins will be a good point guard imo; and Wade will really be good coming off the bench. I hope that together they can close to the statistics NWG had. I'm sure they won't come close in rebounds; so I'm hoping we have a guard or combination of guards who can rebound. Kispert a 6'8" guard should be able to pull down some rebounds. And I'm hoping that Norvell at 6'5" will be a good rebounder. He did average 8 rebounds a game as a senior in HS.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    I think most will agree that we will have a dynamic backcourt. Each player has a bit different style to their game and certain strengths. I think the concern is the unknown, other than Perkins/Melson their has been little to none meaningful and tested minutes for a big core of the backcourt. By mid season we will have a good idea of what will work and what we have, their will be a learning curve and bumps in the road but the future is looking bright.
    America's Team!

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Sorry about that confusion. I thought maybe I wasn't as clear as i could have been: so I thought I'd try to explain it better. Thanks for the feedback. I don't feel Norvell will ever be the point guard. We may never have a point guard as good as NWG. Perkins will be a good point guard imo; and Wade will really be good coming off the bench. I hope that together they can close to the statistics NWG had. I'm sure they won't come close in rebounds; so I'm hoping we have a guard or combination of guards who can rebound. Kispert a 6'8" guard should be able to pull down some rebounds. And I'm hoping that Norvell at 6'5" will be a good rebounder. He did average 8 rebounds a game as a senior in HS.
    it's cool. and i agree with you about the individuals. i also agree with your premise that we have enough quality and diversity in this guard group to make up for a lot of what nwg did statistically.

    just to make my part more explicit, since you did such a good job with yours-- i think most people who read "goss 2.0" think that it means a dominant, aggressive pg. the kind who will handle the ball, be the alpha in crunchtime, and with the singular star power to make another final four run a much more likely proposition. i.e. an individual who can be what goss was and do what goss did, but maybe even better.

    our guard group looks to be very good and we may even develop some stars, but i don't foresee a goss 2.0 in them. there's just no one stylistically similar to what he was. consequently, it will likely be more of a collective (as opposed to star-led) effort this year.

  16. #616
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    just to make my part more explicit, since you did such a good job with yours-- i think most people who read "goss 2.0" think that it means a dominant, aggressive pg. the kind who will handle the ball, be the alpha in crunchtime, and with the singular star power to make another final four run a much more likely proposition. i.e. an individual who can be what goss was and do what goss did, but maybe even better.

    our guard group looks to be very good and we may even develop some stars, but i don't foresee a goss 2.0 in them. there's just no one stylistically similar to what he was. consequently, it will likely be more of a collective (as opposed to star-led) effort this year.
    Agree with the above. I would love to have another NWG point guard clone, but agree it's just probably not gonna happen again at GU for some time (certainly not this year). We have some great young talent at the guard position, and while there is every reason to be optimistic, there is just no way to foresee their impact on the program down the road. I will say it again, for the tenth and last time. What this team needs to give it the best chance to go as far as it possibly can go this year is a quality center to compliment Larson. It seems at this late date in the recruiting game there are still a few options out there; just hope the coaching staff can reel one of them in.

  17. #617
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    This brings up the topic of Randy Onwuasor who will be visiting GU tomorrow. Personally; I just don't see how he fits in with the team. But; I have not been on campus this summer and have not seen the players on the current roster play (and especially the freshmen); I have to admit that possibly Few sees some things that I don't see. In an earlier post a week or two ago the one possible reason for Onwuasor is that Few may see the incoming freshmen as a little too inexperienced and that he feels the Zags need more experience. But whose minutes would he cut into; and which talents that he possesses would be an asset to the Zags.

    If he can play defense like Mathews did I feel he could help the team. He's about the same size as Mathews and would be capable of guarding the small forward position(or 3 guard). He's 6'3 and 210. He's also a good rebounder and averaged 6 rebounds a game last year. I believe he would have to agree to be a role player much like Mathews was; would have to agree to play around 20 min a game (Mathews played 28 min per game). He is certainly not a 3 pt shooter but can really attack the basket. And that is one thing that Gonzaga had some difficulty with last year. Outside of NWG there really were no guards who could attack the basket. Melson did attack the rim a lot but was really not successful at all in his attempts. I felt the same way about Perkins and Mathews. And let's face it; the Zags already have some very good outside shooters and really could use a slasher. Onwuasor is very canny inside and can score in many ways; and he really knows how to draw fouls and is was an 82% foul shooter last year. If Onwuasor is signed here is what I see as a breakdown in minutes played and points scored per game..

    Guards

    Perkins 28 minutes and 9.2 ppg
    Melson 24 minutes and 10.2
    Norvell 20 minutes and 11.1
    Onwausor 20 minutes 6.0 ppg
    Kispert 18 minutes and 8 ppg
    Wade 10 4.2 ppg

    Total Points for guards: 49

    Post Positions

    JW3 27 minutes 12.2 ppg
    Hachimura 22 minutes 9.1 PPg
    Tillie 17 minutes 7.2 ppg
    Larsen 14 4.2 ppg

    Total number of points for post positions: 33

    Total number of points for the whole team. 81.4
    Last edited by Reborn; 07-30-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  18. #618
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    This brings up the topic of Randy Onwuasor who will be visiting GU tomorrow. Personally; I just don't see how he fits in with the team. But; I have not been on campus this summer and have not seen the players on the current roster play (and especially the freshmen); I have to admit that possibly Few sees some things that I don't see. In an earlier post a week or two ago the one possible reason for Onwuasor is that Few may see the incoming freshmen as a little too inexperienced and that he feels the Zags need more experience. But whose minutes would he cut into; and which talents that he possesses would be an asset to the Zags.

    If he can play defense like Mathews did I feel he could help the team. He's about the same size as Mathews and would be capable of guarding the small forward position(or 3 guard). He's 6'3 and 210. He's also a good rebounder and averaged 6 rebounds a game last year. I believe he would have to agree to be a role player much like Mathews was; would have to agree to play around 20 min a game (Mathews played 28 min per game). He is certainly not a 3 pt shooter but can really attack the basket. And that is one thing that Gonzaga had some difficulty with last year. Outside of NWG there really were no guards who could attack the basket. Melson did attack the rim a lot but was really not successful at all in his attempts. I felt the same way about Perkins and Mathews. And let's face it; the Zags already have some very good outside shooters and really could use a slasher. Onwuasor is very canny inside and can score in many ways; and he really knows how to draw fouls and is was an 82% foul shooter last year. If Onwuasor is signed here is what I see as a breakdown in minutes played.

    Guards

    Perkins 28
    Melson 24
    Norvell 20
    Onwausor 20
    Kispert 18
    Wade 10

    Post Positions

    JW3 27
    Hachimura 22
    Tillie 17
    Larsen 14
    that's interesting. i also do/did not see how onwuasor would fit in and was rather tepid about the idea of adding him. however, i hadn't considered the idea of bringing him in and playing him off-ball as a CG. yeah, mathews was the archetype (and an entirely different style/skillset) for this last year, but if onwuasor was willing to be an off-ball role player he could possibly fit into the byron wesley mold there-- and maybe even be an upgrade because he has pg experience. i am not excited about the idea of him as a lead guard/ballhandler due to his lack of shooting and efficiency issues if you eliminate free throws... but make him a secondary ballhandler and opportunistic slasher, and he could fit in. this may be particularly the case if we don't find another true 5 and all of jwiii, tillie, rui, and kispert spend a lot of time playing up one / out of position. tho in such a scenario, it would likely be onwuasor and norvell competing for the same minutes. not quite a logjam, but i'd be rooting for norvell to win the competition and make the position his.

    so yeah, i can finally see a scenario that makes sense to me. don't bring onwuasor in to be nwg 2.0 (or even pargo 2.0), but wesley 2.0. obviously unsure what few is thinking here, or whether onwuasor would be interested in that sort of arrangement.

  19. #619
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    This scenario is the only one that makes sense to me as I agree with you that he is not the type of point guard the Zags need. Wade will definitely handle back up duties imo; and if needed Melson could handle some minutes there. I love Norvell at the two; but he is not be ready for full-time duty and will need to share minutes at that position with Melson and Onwuasor. And Onwuasor will share minutes at the 3 with Melson and Kispert. Onwuasor at the 3 would give us two good outside shooters (Melson and Kispert) and a pretty darn good slasher and inside scorer. Because Kispert is 6'8" he will also be able to score inside by posting his defender up. He also attacks the basket pretty well too. The amazing thing about this stable of guards is that we have 5 very good outside shooters who can hit the three. And a very good slasher in Onwuasor. I also see better free throw shooters in this group of guards.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  20. #620
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    This scenario is the only one that makes sense to me as I agree with you that he is not the type of point guard the Zags need. Wade will definitely handle back up duties imo; and if needed Melson could handle some minutes there. I love Norvell at the two; but he is not be ready for full-time duty and will need to share minutes at that position with Melson and Onwuasor. And Onwuasor will share minutes at the 3 with Melson and Kispert. Onwuasor at the 3 would give us two good outside shooters (Melson and Kispert) and a pretty darn good slasher and inside scorer. Because Kispert is 6'8" he will also be able to score inside by posting his defender up. He also attacks the basket pretty well too. The amazing thing about this stable of guards is that we have 5 very good outside shooters who can hit the three. And a very good slasher in Onwuasor. I also see better free throw shooters in this group of guards.
    But he's not a good shooter, he's an inefficient chucker that only shot 30% from three. Our interest in him is a head scratcher.

  21. #621
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    But he's not a good shooter, he's an inefficient chucker that only shot 30% from three. Our interest in him is a head scratcher.
    Never said he was a good shooter. I said a good slasher. There is a difference. I also said that we have plenty of good shooters next season and that we don't need Onwuasor to be that good of a shooter. He's also a deadly 3 pt shooter.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  22. #622
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,923

    Default

    Once again- Kispert isn't 6'8. Closer to 6'6 than to 6'8.

  23. #623
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Never said he was a good shooter. I said a good slasher. There is a difference. I also said that we have plenty of good shooters next season and that we don't need Onwuasor to be that good of a shooter. He's also a deadly 3 pt shooter.
    OK, I misunderstood your post. My bad. But is hardly a deadly three-point shooter, he's a career 28% shooter from three-point land, and unfortunately to the detriment of his team he did it all too often. He's really inefficient. Not really a fan at all.

  24. #624
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Once again- Kispert isn't 6'8. Closer to 6'6 than to 6'8.
    I dont know where people keep getting the idea Kispert is 6-8...Hes basically a perimeter player...He will be a wing, not a big...sheesh.

  25. #625
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I dont know where people keep getting the idea Kispert is 6-8...Hes basically a perimeter player...He will be a wing, not a big...sheesh.
    I got mine from ESPN Player Profile. Thanks for the feedback. I went back and did some research and that ESPN profile was the only one who had him at 6'8". Thanks again. You won't see me saying he's 6'8" again.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •