Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Possible grad transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    But I also think Jesse Wade and Joel Ayayi will get tons of minutes by January.
    Ayayi will redshirt this upcoming season in all likelihood since he just had surgery this week.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Ayayi will redshirt this upcoming season in all likelihood since he just had surgery this week.
    What was the surgery for and how long is he expected to be out?

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    He had surgery but heard very minor, like 3 to 4 wks & some rehab.

He may RS but doubt for health reasons.

Joel should be good to go by "training camp".

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    He had surgery but heard very minor, like 3 to 4 wks & some rehab.

He may RS but doubt for health reasons.

Joel should be good to go by "training camp".
    Joel did not have surgery and may not have surgery at all. He will also not redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags1993 View Post
    Joel did not have surgery and may not have surgery at all. He will also not redshirt.
    Close to Joel or the program?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Perhaps the surgeon.

Although it's not specifically outlined in the rules above ... discussion about unsubstantiated injuries/surgeries etc concerning student-athletes is a serious topic that needs to be taken seriously.

The other day in the scrimmage thread there was "talk" of an unsubstantiated injury, which led to a "soon deleted" dramatic, headline grabbing thread about that unsubstantiated injury and it's "concerning" impact on the team and recruiting. Nothing good could come from this type of discussion ... and, per input from representatives of the school (and Athletic Department) the exact opposite happens.

So ... moving forward, please know that unsubstantiated injury topics are subject to aggressive board moderation .... and please remember this. As a boardmember one "may" have some insights/knowledge or educated speculation about a subject that threatens a student athlete's privacy. Please think twice before posting. Thanks.

Note .... Edited to add .... I'd go with zags1993's insights on this one.

Another nice guard hit the graduate transfer market today as J-Mychal Reece received his medical hardship waiver.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I could have sworn there was an article/interview/speech by Lloyd mentioned on this board stating that international recruits don't come to Gonzaga to redshirt their freshman year (hence Rui last year). The only reason for Larsen's redshirt last year was due to major injury.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I could have sworn there was an article/interview/speech by Lloyd mentioned on this board stating that international recruits don't come to Gonzaga to redshirt their freshman year (hence Rui last year). The only reason for Larsen's redshirt last year was due to major injury.
    Oh i dont disagree, just wondering with the surety of the comment.

For those of you that are curious to see Randy Onwuasor clips and have not been able to find any, I have found SUU's Big Sky Conference Tournament game against Montana State from this past season. It is the whole game but it is worth watching to see how he plays. This is the only one I have found so far but I am going to try to find more and will post them as I find them.

From this video only I would say a good comp for him would be a mixture of Meech and Ira Brown. He is a little smaller than Ira but is strong, however, he does not have the leaping ability of Ira. He is not as quick as Meech but he attacks the basket in a similar fashion, meaning not always attacking it directly and kind of wild. He does not finish well around the rim but draws a ton of fouls. He can absorb more contact than Meech. He shoots about as well as either of them but has a better floater. He also tends to back down smaller defenders.

Watch the video and let me know what you guys see.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Although it's not specifically outlined in the rules above ... discussion about unsubstantiated injuries/surgeries etc concerning student-athletes is a serious topic that needs to be taken seriously.

The other day in the scrimmage thread there was "talk" of an unsubstantiated injury, which led to a "soon deleted" dramatic, headline grabbing thread about that unsubstantiated injury and it's "concerning" impact on the team and recruiting. Nothing good could come from this type of discussion ... and, per input from representatives of the school (and Athletic Department) the exact opposite happens.

So ... moving forward, please know that unsubstantiated injury topics are subject to aggressive board moderation .... and please remember this. As a boardmember one "may" have some insights/knowledge or educated speculation about a subject that threatens a student athlete's privacy. Please think twice before posting. Thanks.

VERY good reminder. The Athletic Dept can release limited info which could then be talked about (Karno). But, there could be a million things going on that are truly none of our business. I think we all forget that sometimes, I know I do.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Very good Dixie. I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    For those of you that are curious to see Randy Onwuasor clips and have not been able to find any, I have found SUU's Big Sky Conference Tournament game against Montana State from this past season. It is the whole game but it is worth watching to see how he plays. This is the only one I have found so far but I am going to try to find more and will post them as I find them.

From this video only I would say a good comp for him would be a mixture of Meech and Ira Brown. He is a little smaller than Ira but is strong, however, he does not have the leaping ability of Ira. He is not as quick as Meech but he attacks the basket in a similar fashion, meaning not always attacking it directly and kind of wild. He does not finish well around the rim but draws a ton of fouls. He can absorb more contact than Meech. He shoots about as well as either of them but has a better floater. He also tends to back down smaller defenders.

Watch the video and let me know what you guys see.
    I watched the whole game. A good game to watch, kind of. So. Utah won 108 to 105 in three overtimes. Onwuasor scored 43, 20 of them at the foul line. Onwuasor set a Big Sky scoring record with the 43 points, and a tournament record in most foul shots made and attempted. This was only the 6th game So Utah won all year, and the first ever in the Big Sky Tournament. Pretty cool. Onwuasor has a very interesting game. He never shot even one outside shots. NONE. Now that's amazing for a guard, and a guard who scores 43 points. He does know how to score inside however, and knows how to draw fouls. He does NOT remind me of either Meech or Ira Brown. Accept he has a great body like Ira had. Onwuasor takes his time to attack the basket and has many moves inside. In this game he did score quite well around the basket. I am not sure if Few will recruit him. Because he must not be a good outside shooter I probably would not recruit him. There really were no good post players in this game to defend him inside, and so it would definitely not be that way if he played at Gonzaga. I believe he would be okay in the WCC, but not beyond that. I really doubt that if he plays at Gonzaga he will not get too many minutes. These are my thoughts. AND I have only seen him play in this one game. He played great for sure, but one needs to take a look at the players he was playing against. Congrats to him though, and if he does come to GU to play I will be rooting for him 100%.

I need to give credit to the best player for Montana St. His name is Hall, and he would probably would be the player I'd recruit. He can really shoot from behind the arch, and he's 6'5". He scored over 30 points and had 10 boards. The game was really a two man show between Hall and Onwuasor. Hall was first team Big Sky.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Good Analysis Bornie!!! I agree completely with your conclusions.

Competition is definitely something to note. For my analysis I was really noting his stats as well how he attacked. He did score 44 points but he was 11/33 in the process. In my opinion, he just kept wildly attacking the basket. Throwing the ball up at bad angles and taking tough shots. Personally, I believe he got bailed out on quite a few shots as well as some of them were clean blocks. But this was just one game so maybe he was off that night.

Also, he was 1 of 6 from three and most of them were pretty far off.

I chose Ira as a comp because of build and strength and Meech because of how he attacked the basket. Both couldn't shoot. I know there is probably a better comp but in terms of former GU players I think those two are the best. Who does he remind you of Bornie?

Below is the box score.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400945491

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Good Analysis Bornie!!! I agree completely with your conclusions.

Competition is definitely something to note. For my analysis I was really noting his stats as well how he attacked. He did score 44 points but he was 11/33 in the process. In my opinion, he just kept wildly attacking the basket. Throwing the ball up at bad angles and taking tough shots. Personally, I believe he got bailed out on quite a few shots as well as some of them were clean blocks. But this was just one game so maybe he was off that night.

Also, he was 1 of 6 from three and most of them were pretty far off.

I chose Ira as a comp because of build and strength and Meech because of how he attacked the basket. Both couldn't shoot. I know there is probably a better comp but in terms of former GU players I think those two are the best. Who does he remind you of Bornie?

Below is the box score.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400945491
    He is built and attacks the basket like Jeremy Pargo. He does have a great build. He may be an inch taller than Pargo. Pargo was not the best outside shooter either. I loved Pargp's ability to attack the rim whenever he wanted to, kind of like this guy.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    He is built and attacks the basket like Jeremy Pargo. He does have a great build. He may be an inch taller than Pargo. Pargo was not the best outside shooter either. I loved Pargp's ability to attack the rim whenever he wanted to, kind of like this guy.
    We're looking for Goss 2.0, not Pargo 1.0.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

Your comments regarding injury gossip above have been added to the Rules thread pinned to the top of this forum.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“For me, I just want our guys to play our best when our best is needed. If they do that, then good on them. I think we can compete with anybody in the country on any particular night.” - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    In my opinion, Pargo was a lot more explosive, a way better passer, more effective at finishing around the hoop with dunks and layups, and a clutch shooter - even though he struggled at times.

I do see the similarities in approach, however, they both attack off the dribble, try to back down their defenders, and struggle shooting at times. I just think Pargo does all those things a lot better and did it against better competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

I would have liked to keep Goss 1.0 for this season!!! In the absence of that and a Goss 2.0 I would gladly take Pargo 1.0 but I don't think this guy is that. Pago was pretty good and a favorite of mine.

Found another full game against Coastal Carolina. There is a little thunder at the 2:00 minute mark. He started out the game by hitting a couple open jumpers but then struggled shooting the rest of the way. He is long and active in the passing lanes which led to a couple steals. He is good at getting to the foul line but maybe due to facing less athletic players. He takes advantage at the free-throw line though. Once again he scored 22 points but on 6/17 and 2/7 from 3. He seems to really force the issue at times instead of taking what the defense gives. He had some nice passes off dribble penetration that led to 3 pointer by teammates but as the game went on he started to just look for is own shot causing a lot more turnovers and wild shots. It has me curious how he would do within Few's system, where he would not be forcing the issue so much.

Here is the box score:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400915928

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    lollllllllllllll Yep we ARE! So direct my friend~~

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    lollllllllllllll Yep we ARE! So direct my friend~~
    Thanks, Doc. Blame it on da neighborhood.