Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 401 to 422 of 422

Thread: Possible grad transfer?

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    What really surprised me was that they beat Florida and Iowa St in that preseason tournament. that was the first time I kind of thought that they could be a pretty good team. And then after they beat St Mary's, and JWIII showed who he is, I began to think that the team could possibly be that special team that makes it to the Final 4. I was impressed with their defense against Arizona, but Arizona was short two starters; so I kept my most positive thoughts on hold after that win. I'm pretty sure that when that season prediction thread came out that I didn't make a decision. My post said that I wanted to wait until after the OOC games were over. I pretty much feel the same way about the 2017-'18 GonZaga team.

    Jonathon Williams performance vs St. Mary's the first time we played them last season was unreal. He looked like the best power forward in the nation on that night. He dominated that opponent in a lot of ways that night.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    5,872

    Default

    Not a grad ---but still a transfer


    Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
    Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 10h10 hours ago

    Former #Illini guard Jalen Coleman-Lands is visiting Gonzaga this weekend - per a source.

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...525-story.html

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BHakjjRtpU0

    Intriguing player but was hoping we would be going after bigs. Never a bad idea to add talent but we may be looking solid the next 2-3 years with guards.
    America's Team!

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BHakjjRtpU0

    Intriguing player but was hoping we would be going after bigs. Never a bad idea to add talent but we may be looking solid the next 2-3 years with guards.
    He'd be a really nice get
    Go Zags!!!

  5. #405

    Default

    He was ESPN's 34th best player in the 2015 class. He seems very similar to Jordan Matthews as a 3 point specialist. If we were to land him, he would be joining Wade, Kispert, Norvelle, and Perkins who all can light-it-up from 3 as well. That would be an exciting team. Hopefully we can land this guy!!!

  6. #406

    Default

    Hell, if we arent going to sign anyone else for next year, might as well put one of the scholarships to use and redshirt this kid. A year refining his game to go with his jumper already and he can be a very good impact player.

    Who will we have down low though in 2018-2019? If tillie goes pro, williams graduates, that leaves us with Larsen only...

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,830

    Default

    Sounds like an underachiever who's being chased by new coach.

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,890

    Default

    If he's visiting, that's a pretty good sign. He was in the top 40 in his graduating class, which is pretty darn good. His college stats are not impressive at all. He averaged 10 ppg his freshman year and 8 ppg his sophomore yr. He averaged 1 assist per game which is not good imo. Something was wrong. I believe the talent is there, but more importantly if he's visiting than Few must think he has something. I'll go with Few and his staff here. The other impressive thing is that the Zags already have a lot of guards but is Few believes this guy is better than he will go after him. If any program can bring out the best in someone it's Gonzaga.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    10,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Sounds like an underachiever who's being chased by new coach.
    I don't come to the same conclusion, Jazz.

    Chased by a new Coach; probably.

    10 a game & sets a Frosh record for Illini for 3 pointers (& they've had a few good shooter's over the yrs.).

    Avg. drops 2nd year. Was he being used differently by a Coach who knew he was on the hot seat? I don't know.

    Look at the second part of his tweet when he committed:"and accomplishing my academic goal."

    Sounds good to me.

    If the other kids like him I say bring him on.
    "If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

    Jordan Mathews, upon GU ascending to #1

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Sounds like an underachiever who's being chased by new coach.
    I will reserve my judgement until Crazycoach weighs in with his expert opinion.

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,228

    Default Possible grad transfer?

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Sounds like an underachiever who's being chased by new coach.
    When it comes to a previously highly-touted player and less than spectacular numbers, you have to look at things like team chemistry, coaches, system, injuries, and player character.

    Sometimes these players just bust. They're kids, and sometimes kids fail to live up to certain expectations.

    This kid has some athleticism, is able to get to the lane and finish strong in the paint. He can get up, and while not a sharp shooter like Jordan, shoots well enough that you can't sag on him and prepare for just dribble-drive penetration.

    He would need get his AST% up a bit, but Few's screen and action makes it possible to be very efficient in areas that need improvement.

    He didn't put up good defensive numbers (overall) with a DRtg closer to 105 than 100. But Jordan Matthews didn't do well in that department at Cal. So, it might not be out of the realm of possibility to see an athletic, quick player like this be in the 95-98 range. This kid is probably at his max 7 or so BPM player.

    The question becomes whether or not there is room in 18', on the roster. And those minutes are enough. If you don't end up getting someone for 18', you may just need him.

    Also, this kinda seems similar, on some level. To the J3 situation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    When it comes to a previously highly-touted player and less than spectacular numbers, you have to look at things like team chemistry, coaches, system, injuries, and player character.

    Sometimes these players just bust. They're kids, and sometimes kids fail to live up to certain expectations.

    This kid has some athleticism, is able to get to the lane and finish strong in the paint. He can get up, and while not a sharp shooter like Jordan, shoots well enough that you can't sag on him and prepare for just dribble-drive penetration.

    He would need get his AST% up a bit, but Few's screen and action makes it possible to be very efficient in areas that need improvement.

    He didn't put up good defensive numbers (overall) with a DRtg closer to 105 than 100. But Jordan Matthews didn't do well in that department at Cal. So, it might not be out of the realm of possibility to see an athletic, quick player like this be in the 95-98 range. This kid is probably at his max 7 or so BPM player.

    The question becomes whether or not there is room in 18', on the roster. And those minutes are enough. If you don't end up getting someone for 18', you may just need him.

    Also, this kinda seems similar, on some level. To the J3 situation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is an example of Crazycoach showing his intellectual stamina. The player is black so he is described by crazy as athletic,quick and able to get up. None of these words were used to describe MM. Please post Jalens highlight clips next to Mac`s so we can see how much more athletic he is. Please quote a few more DRgt`s and AST % because they impress the hell out of everyone on the board.

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    6,188

    Default

    Did it occur to any of you recruiting gurus that Stephen Gentry might have a little bit more in depth knowledge of Coleman-Lands? Never mind, that is just some idle speculation on my part, what am i thinking?
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    This is an example of Crazycoach showing his intellectual stamina. The player is black so he is described by crazy as athletic,quick and able to get up. None of these words were used to describe MM. Please post Jalens highlight clips next to Mac`s so we can see how much more athletic he is. Please quote a few more DRgt`s and AST % because they impress the hell out of everyone on the board.
    Doctorzag, I think you are a little over the top...I have been reading Coach Crazy's threads since he started on this board and find him to be pretty prophetic at times and most others spot on...I have never read any racial overtones in any of his threads and don't see any in this thread...maybe your reading into this "too much?"

    Have a nice ZAG day!

  15. #415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Doctorzag, I think you are a little over the top...I have been reading Coach Crazy's threads since he started on this board and find him to be pretty prophetic at times and most others spot on...I have never read any racial overtones in any of his threads and don't see any in this thread...maybe your reading into this "too much?"

    Have a nice ZAG day!
    To be fair, cc does seem to be extra harsh on only white players and doczag did give a great example. Mac McClung is a freak, white kid that dominates his black peers, but cc dismissed him with the word "pass" despite the fact that he's blowing up in AAU right now and has many high major offers, yet CC sings the praises of inferior black players. Could be just a coincidence, but where there's smoke there's usually fire. But it could just be a coincidence too, who knows?

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    10,942

    Default

    Coach seems like a pretty bright guy and I personally am not seeing any issues, and as a "lefty" I have my own bias'.

    I love this board and hope that we can all keep ourselves "honest" in a positive way.

    Go Zags.
    "If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

    Jordan Mathews, upon GU ascending to #1

  17. #417
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Did it occur to any of you recruiting gurus that Stephen Gentry might have a little bit more in depth knowledge of Coleman-Lands? Never mind, that is just some idle speculation on my part, what am i thinking?
    Stephen Gentry was at OK State last year and Coleman-Lands played at Illinois last year. Gentry did not get to Illinois until the season was over.

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    6,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Stephen Gentry was at OK State last year and Coleman-Lands played at Illinois last year. Gentry did not get to Illinois until the season was over.
    Yes I knew that. I suppose he was just oblivious to any thing going on at Ill while he was in transition. There were probably "0" discussions with Underwood about the situation. Like I said, "what was I thinking"?
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    This is an example of Crazycoach showing his intellectual stamina. The player is black so he is described by crazy as athletic,quick and able to get up. None of these words were used to describe MM. Please post Jalens highlight clips next to Mac`s so we can see how much more athletic he is. Please quote a few more DRgt`s and AST % because they impress the hell out of everyone on the board.
    This is a comment unworthy of these boards, plain and simple.

  20. #420
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    This is an example of Crazycoach showing his intellectual stamina. The player is black so he is described by crazy as athletic,quick and able to get up. None of these words were used to describe MM. Please post Jalens highlight clips next to Mac`s so we can see how much more athletic he is. Please quote a few more DRgt`s and AST % because they impress the hell out of everyone on the board.
    Doctor Kevorkian loves to throw members under the bus.

    " You gotta love the one who loves you "

  21. #421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Not a grad ---but still a transfer


    Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
    Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 10h10 hours ago

    Former #Illini guard Jalen Coleman-Lands is visiting Gonzaga this weekend - per a source.

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...525-story.html

    What source did you find this information at? I mean we are talking about how he would be a great get and this and that but I haven't seen anything official or anything other then per source he is visiting Gonzaga but theres no link or anything.

  22. #422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quadcityzag View Post
    What source did you find this information at? I mean we are talking about how he would be a great get and this and that but I haven't seen anything official or anything other then per source he is visiting Gonzaga but theres no link or anything.
    I guess I should have asked Derek Piper and not giving Zagdawg so much gruff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •