Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Possible grad transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Whoops, multiple Elijahs.
    Threw me at first too

"If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

Jordan Mathews, upon GU ascending to #1

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Spy. I am surprised your not all over the big Canadian from New Mexico State Tanveer Bhullar . 7-3 AND 355. He is a graduate transfer. Many sites do not have him listed as a graduate transfer but he is and well known by the Trianos . Also has had injury problems but would give us some rim protection off the bench. Check out his highlight film from last year on you tube. He does have some skills.
    I saw Tanveer play this year and he's 75 lbs lighter than the first time I saw him play (warm up as he didn't get in the games back when his brother was still there). He's 280 lbs at most. NM State pushed the tempo and had pretty short possessions. He didn't fit their system at all and he isn't good enough to step on the court for the Zags, but you have to be impressed with the way he got in shape to try to fit their system.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As John Sacrimoni says, "Speak."
    Had to look up "Johnny Sack" as I wasn't familiar with his character.

You know who I didn't have to "look up"? Tommy Lloyd, who is on record as saying folks on the internet know about 5 percent of what's going on. And while it can be fun to speculate, and worry, and show angst .... the bottom line is the staff kinda "know" what they're doing. The month of May has been pretty good for Gonzaga vis a vis Grad Transfers .... Byron Wesley committed to Gonzaga in May and Jordan Mathews announced he was leaving Cal in May (committed to GU in June). So that's the timetable I'm keeping in the back of my mind.

As for foreign players? I've mentioned that this board had never heard of Elias Harris or Ronny Turiaf until they committed (no pub prior to their commitments at all). Tommy and Mark learned with Shem to "keep things quiet" during high profile foreign visits. It was public knowledge that Karnowski was visiting Gonzaga ... and Shem fielded calls from Self at Kansas, K at Duke and "others" while in Spokane. That's why Domas had an alias when he visited. That's why Rui's visit wasn't known until weeks later. That's why the French kid Joel Ayayi was slipped in and out of Spokane "under the radar". And there HAVE been other guys as well.

Sure, next year's Zags won't have Zach Collins, won't have Nigel Williams-Goss (both great players and great Zags). Next year's Zags won't have Bryan Alberts (who'll be another proud Gonzaga graduate) .... and there "may" be another open scholarship when all is said and done.

But ... I fail to see the need to "worry" about who'll be coming in to replace them. The staff has known about Alberts since last July .... and have known of the possibilities of the others for months. They were not caught napping, or resting on their laurels.

And ... if Fewie and Tommy think "secrecy", "low-key" and "under the radar" is the way for Gonzaga to get the guys who will truly "fit" AND "contribute" .... then I'm all onboard with that.
    "To be continued ...."

An empty, towel-draped bronze chair - with a basketball on the floor nearby - has been installed in the northeast foyer of the McCarthey Athletic Center. On the chair is the inscription: In loving memory of Fr. Tony Lehmann, S.J. "to be continued..."

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

You know who I didn't have to "look up"? Tommy Lloyd, who is on record as saying folks on the internet know about 5 percent of what's going on. And while it can be fun to speculate, and worry, and show angst .... the bottom line is the staff kinda "know" what they're doing. The month of May has been pretty good for Gonzaga vis a vis Grad Transfers .... Byron Wesley committed to Gonzaga in May and Jordan Mathews announced he was leaving Cal in May (committed to GU in June). So that's the timetable I'm keeping in the back of my mind.

As for foreign players? I've mentioned that this board had never heard of Elias Harris or Ronny Turiaf until they committed (no pub prior to their commitments at all). Tommy and Mark learned with Shem to "keep things quiet" during high profile foreign visits. It was public knowledge that Karnowski was visiting Gonzaga ... and Shem fielded calls from Self at Kansas, K at Duke and "others" while in Spokane. That's why Domas had an alias when he visited. That's why Rui's visit wasn't known until weeks later. That's why the French kid Joel Ayayi was slipped in and out of Spokane "under the radar". And there HAVE been other guys as well.

Sure, next year's Zags won't have Zach Collins, won't have Nigel Williams-Goss (both great players and great Zags). Next year's Zags won't have Bryan Alberts (who'll be another proud Gonzaga graduate) .... and there "may" be another open scholarship when all is said and done.

But ... I fail to see the need to "worry" about who'll be coming in to replace them. The staff has known about Alberts since last July .... and have known of the possibilities of the others for months. They were not caught napping, or resting on their laurels.

And ... if Fewie and Tommy think "secrecy", "low-key" and "under the radar" is the way for Gonzaga to get the guys who will truly "fit" AND "contribute" .... then I'm all onboard with that.
    But, but, but...how can they do it without US?

Amen and thank you.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Awesome post! You got me fired up for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I saw Tanveer play this year and he's 75 lbs lighter than the first time I saw him play (warm up as he didn't get in the games back when his brother was still there). He's 280 lbs at most. NM State pushed the tempo and had pretty short possessions. He didn't fit their system at all and he isn't good enough to step on the court for the Zags, but you have to be impressed with the way he got in shape to try to fit their system.
    I remember him as a frosh and his big brother was then playing for NMSU...they had the tallest team in the country but both players had quite slow foot speed BUT they were intimidating in the middle. I thought the older brother should have stayed in school another year as he is playing in the D-League. I see Tanveer as a stronger and more under control player than our Foster of years past. I am not sold that he is comparable to Edwards, who I still believe could assist this team, especially with the current roster we have...IMO

Agree with others on this post. Let's just go with optimism, anticipation, and maybe a surprise or two. As my daughter used to say to my grandson on the long drive from Denver to little old Gallatin Gateway, MT, let's just "Just sit back and enjoy the ride."

Grazie. And if omertà works, that's good too.

Kavell Bigby-Williams, a F from Oregon

http://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/04/...e-school-says/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Kavell Bigby-Williams, a F from Oregon

http://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/04/...e-school-says/
    Worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk