Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible grad transfer?

I believe in 2nd chances and "IF" he fits and passes Few's scrutiny, I'd be in favor of adding him.

There's a reason Tubby Smith said "no thanks" after he visited Memphis last month, however.

http://www.espn929.com/articles/u-m-...eontae-hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I believe in 2nd chances and "IF" he fits and passes Few's scrutiny, I'd be in favor of adding him.

There's a reason Tubby Smith said "no thanks" after he visited Memphis last month, however.

http://www.espn929.com/articles/u-m-...eontae-hawkins

A definite red flag ... But, as you pointed out, Few has a solid track record in these situations. Hope that he's comfortable with the culture fit, because the talent is obviously there.

This is a no-brainer from a production and style perspective. Wow.

If Coach Few and Co. decide it's a fit, seal the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The missing piece we have been waiting for? He looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    This is a great video of a very good player. I certainly would NOT compare him to JW3. Not at all. He can really shoot from the outside, and has a great pull up jumper in the mid-range area. A great rebounder. He is BIG. Much bigger, and more muscular than JW3. To me this is the Power Forward we've been waiting for. Waiting patiently. I hope Few nabs him. I'd give him the right to start if I were coaching, and have come in off the bench. If Few works with this guy, and I think he will, Gonzaga will get him. I can't see him going to New Mexico St over GU. This is the kind of Power Forward that I've always hoped GU could get. He's very muscular and chizzled. Go get him Mark Few.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Hawkins was Illinois State's leading scorer in both of their NIT games this past year. He went 6-6 from 3 in the opening game of the NIT against UC Irvine.

You could probably argue he should start over Tillie...but certainly don't want to cause any problems with team chemistry. He likely won't be the last post target GU will be in on for this coming year, so I doubt Few would desperately promise Hawkins anything...although he could be a HUGE addition.

Damn, does anyone know if this grad transfer rule is rumored to go away or be altered at any point? It surely is of benefit to the Zags. I just have a hard time believing it won't go away at some point. It's one of many reasons helping to make a mockery of the amateur status of the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    The missing piece we have been waiting for? He looks good.
    Sign him.

His defense looks promising.

http://goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4679
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    Hawkins was Illinois State's leading scorer in both of their NIT games this past year. He went 6-6 from 3 in the opening game of the NIT against UC Irvine.

You could probably argue he should start over Tillie...but certainly don't want to cause any problems with team chemistry. He likely won't be the last post target GU will be in on for this coming year, so I doubt Few would desperately promise Hawkins anything...although he could be a HUGE addition.

Damn, does anyone know if this grad transfer rule is rumored to go away or be altered at any point? It surely is of benefit to the Zags. I just have a hard time believing it won't go away at some point. It's one of many reasons helping to make a mockery of the amateur status of the NCAA.
    Lets see ......student/athlete GRADUATES and gets to decide where to go for more education......take that away because of what? UK Duke UNC aren't benefiting from the rule?

"Fit" is as (or more) important than "skill" and I truly hope this kid "fits".

FWIW other "skillful" grad transfers HAVE gone elsewhere earlier in this year's process .... and it wasn't because their skillset didn't "fit".

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Lets see ......student/athlete GRADUATES and gets to decide where to go for more education......take that away because of what? UK Duke UNC aren't benefiting from the rule?
    Of course, there are many other school's benefiting from this rule too. ...and yes, the fact that the athlete has to graduate first is a great carrot to make it worthwhile.

Do you really think these student athletes are thinking which major or academic offering is most important when making these decisions though?? No, they are basing it where they want to play their sport of interest. Which of course is generally how they choose their initial school in the first place, which is no different. Essentially though, they are going out of their way to find a major that there current school does not offer. In many cases, this means the student athlete ends up choosing a random grad program which wouldn't normally be anywhere near their first choice.

There are many school's which have never benefited from a grad transfer joining their school though. ...and if you are one of those schools which could lose a player after their junior year...what happens in instances where a university tries to extend the time it will take to graduate a kid. Not every school and program is going to be honest in their push to get a kid to graduate. All of a sudden graduating a kid early actually allows for punishment to the current school.

It just seems a lot like professional sports free agency to me, without the pay. I didn't say I'm not in favor of it, I just think it sounds sketchy in many aspects.

Unclear as to what the red flag is? Please advise. Seems a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    There was a linked article that talked about him having a DUI and that was why Memphis didn't take him.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Right...i was just wondering the same thing...Seems like a perfectly good student athlete who decided to reopen his recruitment because BC wasnt a good fit. Nothing to be wary about.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    This is a great video of a very good player. I certainly would NOT compare him to JW3. Not at all. He can really shoot from the outside, and has a great pull up jumper in the mid-range area. A great rebounder. He is BIG. Much bigger, and more muscular than JW3. To me this is the Power Forward we've been waiting for. Waiting patiently. I hope Few nabs him. I'd give him the right to start if I were coaching, and have come in off the bench. If Few works with this guy, and I think he will, Gonzaga will get him. I can't see him going to New Mexico St over GU. This is the kind of Power Forward that I've always hoped GU could get. He's very muscular and chizzled. Go get him Mark Few.

Go Zags!!!
    He's definitely thicker than J3 and has a more developed shot. Regardless, those two on the floor at the same time would terrorize every WCC team, including SMC. His step back jumper is polished, too.

Default Possible grad transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    There was a linked article that talked about him having a DUI and that was why Memphis didn't take him.
    And honestly, if the staff and team feel he has moved on, then it doesn't matter what he's done. Give him a second chance and let's get back to the E8.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    "Fit" is as (or more) important than "skill" and I truly hope this kid "fits".

FWIW other "skillful" grad transfers HAVE gone elsewhere earlier in this year's process .... and it wasn't because their skillset didn't "fit".
    GoZags, so what are you saying? Why did the "other skillful" grad transfers not come to GU? Was it because they were not the right fit due to team chemistry or not interested or not enough PT?

I don't know why Tubby didn't take him...maybe it was because he verballed to BC and felt it was inappropriate to recruit a kid that had already verballed???

I have asked this question before about all the recruits we seem to have chased for 2017, 2018 and grad transfers...How many of these kids have actually stepped on campus...

I never could find out if Williams or Cherry even visited GU...

I would like to know the percentage of recruits that visit GU actually sign with us...that would be an interesting to read...

This young man, if he visits us and the coaching staff have a lengthy sit-down and they decide to offer, then I will look forward to watching him play as either a starter or #1 front court sub...he sure has a skill set we need...BUT again, he needs to visit for a TEAM meet & greet...

We gave Eric Mclellan a 2nd chance and that worked out perfect. He was honest about his mistakes and grew from it and become one heckuva roll model.
    America's Team!

GZ's point goes to the heart of Zag recruiting......does he "fit" the system. Gonzaga will not change the "process" chasing FF ....IMO

Hawkins originally signed with Wichita State from high school

Hawkins, who is healthy after undergoing offseason surgery for a broken bone in his right foot, is among four returning starters. He led ISU in 3-pointers last year with 52.
    The suspension is the second for Hawkins during his Redbird career. He was suspended by Muller for a violation of team rules after two games of an exhibition trip to Spain in August 2015.
    link

I'm a fan of another Ted Hawkins so I'm rooting for "Teddy"

Last edited by Zagceo; 07-17-2017 at 01:56 PM.

From GZ's link:
    FYI on Deontae Hawkins: He's about a month removed from pleading guilty to DUI charges, according to McLean County, Illinois court records.

Maybe Tubby felt he hadn't dealt with his alcohol issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

Go Zags!!!
    How is he a "great rebounder"? 6'9 and only averaged 6 rpg, nothing "great" about that at all. He seems like a big that likes to play smaller. Honestly, watching the video reminded me of a less skilled Rui.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I never could find out if Williams or Cherry even visited GU...
    just pulling one OT comment out of your post and responding. cherry never visited GU (per a former travel team coach of his). i do not believe williams did either, but lack a similar source.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me."
    --R.A.H

and now on-topic... just info i gleaned from his player bio page on the illinois state website (linked somewhere above), and noted here without judgment.

he's almost 24 (august b-day). did a year of prep school after high school and then was not granted eligibility by the ncaa (no idea why) the year after. appears that he could have returned as ISU's star player or started at BC next year, so apparently playing time isn't his sole/top criteria. at his age and development, it seems unlikely he is playing for an nba opportunity but could already be making money overseas if he wanted. really curious about his motivation(s).

so, he's an older player, has his degree, is probably not playing for a shot at the nba, and has turned down:
    1) the chance to be a star on a mid-major team
    2) the chance to be a starter on a bcs team
    3) starting a professional basketball career overseas
    4) starting a professional non-basketball career anywhere

could he just want to win and experience the ncaa tourney? if so, what's nmsu doing as our competition?

if he gets a thumbs up from few and co i'd take him in a second, but i wouldn't make him any promises we wouldn't make any other recruit/transfer. (ETA: i may or may not have had a different take on this is if we were still going to face mika 2-3 times next season )
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me."
    --R.A.H

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    If the DUI were the 'only' thing...... it would be a 'no-brainer'. It is a long long story.... and I'm not sure if 'anyone' knows the truth of the matter. It involves the 'academic' side of the ledger. Some say, it is questionable that he has fulfilled his academics @ Ill St to graduate... others closer to the matter, even if some how he gets his rubber stamp on the "sheepskin" ... how much will he 'lower the academic standards at GU (discussion was about Boston College). What I find amusing in the endless national media coverage; at one time he was considering coming to Pacific. Everyone is talking about fit...and the next step .... playing 35 minutes every game or just 18 minutes .... for the Pro Scouts.... especially someone who has to prove himself every day on the court (for the pro's)...I thought Stoudamire might give him a chance (2nd or 3rd)... I have no idea if he even visited Stockton or N. Mex. GU wasn't on his mind when he committed to BC.... He will make a difference wherever he goes on the court.... I'll try to find the original content... right now, I'm locked out of the pacific site... only was able to go around the back door to get at this site. Basically the 'red flag' is real. Can he get his act together and better himself for the future (whether that be the Pro's or some other career? Should he have decided on Pacific, that would have fulfilled one of this boards die-hard wishes....other WCC teams stepping Up. Right now, we have probably the shortest front-line, with the exception of LMU in the WCC. Good luck on the visit.