• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

On the bright side ...

There's still something left to achieve, a barrier not yet shattered for this program. Of course we all wanted this team to bring home a championship, none more than the players and coaches themselves. And there's always the risk they never return to that game again given the Dance's crapshoot nature. But I think they will, and in falling just short this time, they gave us the gift of hope and possibility that the Zags haven't yet peaked. As sweet as this season was, there remains the possibility for an even sweeter ride. Heads up and onward, Zag Nation!
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

John Blanchette Retweeted
    John Ourand‏Verified account @Ourand_SBJ 1h1 hour ago
    UNC-Gonzaga pulled a 14.5 overnight TV rating, up 21% from last year's game, sources say.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
      There's still something left to achieve, a barrier not yet shattered for this program. Of course we all wanted this team to bring home a championship, none more than the players and coaches themselves. And there's always the risk they never return to that game again given the Dance's crapshoot nature. But I think they will, and in falling just short this time, they gave us the gift of hope and possibility that the Zags haven't yet peaked. As sweet as this season was, there remains the possibility for an even sweeter ride. Heads up and onward, Zag Nation!
      I agree 100%. If they had won last night, that would have been the peak of our fandom, and never could be topped. This way, still something left to shoot for.

Comment

• Zags11
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
        I agree 100%. If they had won last night, that would have been the peak of our fandom, and never could be topped. This way, still something left to shoot for.
        Meh. It won't be same like it was anyway unless win title. I don't get the post. We may never reach title again. You dont know. I'm a mariners fan and haven't seen playoffs since 01. Win when you have the chance.

Comment

• FuManShoes
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
          Meh. It won't be same like it was anyway unless win title. I don't get the post. We may never reach title again. You dont know. I'm a mariners fan and haven't seen playoffs since 01. Win when you have the chance.
          Didn't say my thought was rational, only that it's a rationalization. Of course I wanted them to win when they had a golden opportunity ... But yes, part of me did wonder if they did win last night, if we'd ever feel as excited again.
          “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
            +1

Comment

• zagcheer78
              Kennel Club
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
              +1
              I respectfully disagree. To say that we may never get to this level again diminishes what we have achieved.
              It validates all of the naysayers who have always maintained that we just could not reach the Final Four, that we are just a mid-major that never plays anyone worth anything in the college BB world.
              The difference here is the culture. Pro sports doesn't come close. Now I would be very worried if Coach Few left because he has worked to create this unique BB culture at GU. He is not going any where and there are top athletes who want what GU offers, so I expect us to remain a great contender.

Comment

• Zags11
                Banned
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by zagcheer78 View Post
                I respectfully disagree. To say that we may never get to this level again diminishes what we have achieved.
                It validates all of the naysayers who have always maintained that we just could not reach the Final Four, that we are just a mid-major that never plays anyone worth anything in the college BB world.
                The difference here is the culture. Pro sports doesn't come close. Now I would be very worried if Coach Few left because he has worked to create this unique BB culture at GU. He is not going any where and there are top athletes who want what GU offers, so I expect us to remain a great contender.
                I didn't say we wouldn't. I said we may never again. I think we will but its still all a crap shoot. Just win when you have the shot. Zags tried and fell short. Helluva year.

Comment

• Zags11
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2008

Didn't say my thought was rational, only that it's a rationalization. Of course I wanted them to win when they had a golden opportunity ... But yes, part of me did wonder if they did win last night, if we'd ever feel as excited again.
                  Yes I agree to a point. When the seahawks won vs Denver I was elated. Fan all my life and finally a trophy. The next year I was ecstatic but not the same feeling. I think maybe as it was b2b? So I agree to a point. However idk. I'm bummed. Lol

Comment

• rijman
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2009

I think this years result will make it easier to return to the final four. With all the exposure in the FF and championship game recruiting top players could get easier. Few and the Zags were well promoted by the media and fellow coaches with Few practically portrayed as a saint. Gonzaga is no longer the team that shows up to the NCAA's and wins a couple games, they showed they can compete for the championship. This was a great season for the Zags and I believe it will lead to even more success in the future.
                    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• Zags11
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by rijman View Post
                      I think this years result will make it easier to return to the final four. With all the exposure in the FF and championship game recruiting top players could get easier. Few and the Zags were well promoted by the media and fellow coaches with Few practically portrayed as a saint. Gonzaga is no longer the team that shows up to the NCAA's and wins a couple games, they showed they can compete for the championship. This was a great season for the Zags and I believe it will lead to even more success in the future.
                      This. I fully agree. Now gonzaga can tell future NBA players coming out of HS "we made a title game. If we had you, we could win the title gm."

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rijman View Post
                        At the risk of repeating myself, if I'm a fan of an underperforming Power 5 school that consistently reels in top 25 recruiting classes, I'm asking "what in tarnation is going on? Gonzaga's in the Dance 18 straight years with mostly no names...what are we doing wrong?"

As to our WCC brethren, y'all are going to receive upwards of $500K in free money every year for the foreseeable future. Please, please, please...use some of that money for recruiting. Establish a presence in areas you haven't tapped. Here's an example: someone at Pepperdine recruited Jett Raines from our HS, and he developed into an all conference player by his senior year. Obviously, connections have been made there...use them.

It's a fairly cheap plane ticket from SoCal to DFW, and lease one of those long-term Residence Inn suites for regular visits. My BIL is a hoops coach who loves to tell stories about the coaches he's met, and he's in the same ISD that produced Jett. Within a 30-45 minute drive, there are over 300 high schools. Get to know the coaches, and you may be able to recruit a 3 star kid that can be developed/coached up.

Hey, it's beautiful this time of year, with the wildflowers and bluebonnets in bloom. It's no match to campuses such as Pepperdine and USD.

Better yet, use some of that money to run a low cost basketball camp, if that's allowed.

Use some damn imagination! Why doesn't the WCC office use resources to make itself known outside of the West Coast? The WCC's problems are in part due to a lack of imagination.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Jul 2007

I'm a strong believer that there's no time quite as exciting as your first time. I've seen my favorite baseball team win the World Series twice in my lifetime. Can't speak for all other Cardinals fans obviously, but I was so, SO much more intense the first time around. 2nd time was fun too, but not the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X