Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We have unfinished business, Nigel and Zach plz comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I believe we saw the last of nwg. And he gave his heart. Damn.
    Why would he leave? He's going to be a 2nd rounder no matter what, and this draft is heavy in PG's. Education greatly matters to him. He has a chance to be preseason POY next season.

The only guy I am even slightly worried about is Zach, and if he does it, he has a 50%+ chance of being out of the league after a few years.

I think it may take some time before we know. If Nigel's ankle injury will prevent him from working out, he may not have a good choice but to return. With respect to Collins, the decision from Nigel may impact his decision. From all I know (which sometimes isn't much), they are close. If Nigel returns, I think that may increase the possibility that Zach returns.

Quote Originally Posted by uZiGiZaG View Post
    He GONE.

If he wasn't planning on leaving, he would mention coming back stronger next year and finishing the drill for Zag Nation..

Damn.. this one stings.. I thought he was definitely coming back until I saw his post game with Katz and now this
    I bet the NBA was the furthest thing from his mind last night. He wasn't sitting there, calculating the appropriate thing to say. If he were Lonzo Ball, yeah, I understand........state the obvious.

Again, Nigel is a mid-2nd round pick at draftexpress.com as a 2018 player. If he goes this year, he may not get picked, or he will get picked at the back end. He might as well complete his masters and take out an insurance policy to cover injuries.

I also have to wonder if NBA execs might be concerned by all these ankle injuries he keeps sustaining.

Lots of guys are going to be announcing their entry into the draft, but until they sign with an agent, don't assume ANYTHING.

Goss is coming back, I feel it!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Why would he leave? He's going to be a 2nd rounder no matter what, and this draft is heavy in PG's. Education greatly matters to him. He has a chance to be preseason POY next season.

The only guy I am even slightly worried about is Zach, and if he does it, he has a 50%+ chance of being out of the league after a few years.
    thank you cdc for being the voice of reason here. nwg is not currently projected to be a lock even in the 2nd round. does anyone really think he'd leave school early to pursue a career in europe? his family doesn't seem like they are financially strapped and need him to make that jump. another year potentially boosts his nba stock in a PG light draft, and europe will still be there. also just seems like the kind of guy who doesn't want to go out like this. until i see something firm that suggests he's leaving the evidence tells me he'll be back (sorry, but you have to read a helluva lot into his remarks from last night to think they suggested at all that he's gone). if he does leave i wish him the best and will always think of him as one of the best players in GU history but i fully expect to see him lead the zags again next season. we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Goss is coming back, I feel it!
    Emotions can certainly cloud perspectives, so let me give an outsider's opinion: Based on their draft stock, Collins would be crazy to stay. NWG would be crazy to leave. I suspect that is how things will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by bettingman View Post
    Emotions can certainly cloud perspectives, so let me give an outsider's opinion: Based on their draft stock, Collins would be crazy to stay. NWG would be crazy to leave. I suspect that is how things will go down.
    What exactly is Collins draft stock? I have seen everywhere across the board and I don't think any of us know where he truly falls. I think it is hyperbolic to say he'd be crazy to stay. I'd actually argue that even if he'd be a mid to late first rounder he'd be better off coming back to work on his strength/game. With that said, I hope Zach and his family do what they believe is best for him...which I'm sure they will.

NWG gave his all, was a tremendous leader and was totally bought in. Whatever decision he makes, we should be very thankful for what he did and helped GU achieve.

In my head, the only thing I see Zach really needing to work on is to stop committing stupid fouls, a problem which could easily be addressed in the NBA.

As for NWG - he's already got a degree, what does he gain by sticking around another year? He might not make an NBA roster, but there sure as heck are many pro teams outside the U.S. that would gladly pay him a salary to run a team.

I feel the way he was talking, he was closing this chapter of his life. I don't think he will be a starting NBA player but what do I know.

If I was Zach? I'd come back. He gets in too much foul trouble in limited time but I think Tommy spilled the beans that Zach is gone.
    Love the zags for life

How in the world does Gonzaga have TWO early entries to the NBA, yet UNC hasn't had one for a few seasons?

UNC did have 2 seniors declare.

Insane.

It will be 3 early entry declarations since 2014.

More than the team that just went to back to back National Championship games.

The way it is set up now it would be foolish for both of them to NOT declare and go through the process and combine. Hopefully both will come back, but there is no reason not to work out for the NBA teams and get feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by bettingman View Post
    Even after what we saw Sabonis do? Coming back as a starter and playing himself into a lottery pick and a starting spot in the NBA? If next years draft was going to be stronger, then I would say he should go. . But with how much he can raise his stock going into a weaker draft, I think he should go the Sabonis route.

If zach leaves this year you think there's a chance he would be out of the league by the time he's 22 or 23? Literally 0 chance barring catastrophic injury. Do hope he stays another year though.

As far as NWG you are right in that he's a 2nd rounder no matter what. So what's the point in coming back when he's already basically a known commodity? His limitations as far as size and athleticism at the next level are known so he isn't going to play himself into the lotto or 1st round during his senior year. Limited amount of earning years when it comes to being a professional basketball player and Nigel will already be 23 this year. 95% He's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dhozagfan08 View Post
    Even after what we saw Sabonis do? Coming back as a starter and playing himself into a lottery pick and a starting spot in the NBA? If next years draft was going to be stronger, then I would say he should go. . But with how much he can raise his stock going into a weaker draft, I think he should go the Sabonis route.
    I think we would all agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by dhozagfan08 View Post
    I think we would all agree with this.
    Did you just quote yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Did you just quote yourself?
    A bit O/T, but I've felt the need on a couple of occasions to put myself on "ignore."

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    A bit O/T, but I've felt the need on a couple of occasions to put myself on "ignore."
    Ha! Me too (not you but myself).
    There can be humor after a loss
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

In my opinion Collins is probably gone because it is looking more and more likely that he is a lottery pick or at worst, mid 1st rounder. Guys almost never come back once they reach that level in the draft. There are of course always exceptions.

If Collins goes in the lottery any team that takes him will be at least somewhat committed to his development and growth as a player. He will be given opportunities and support from the organization. The idea that players are done evolving and improving once they hit the NBA is misguided. In some ways, they actually have a better chance of improving in the NBA than they would in college due to the unlimited resources available to them. No time restraints on coaches spending time working with them. No classes to attend or other "distractions". However, the NBA can ruin a player's confidence pretty dang quickly. Sometimes it's better to build up your self esteem being "the guy" in college.

It all hinges on what type of promise Zach gets I think. Draft position is so huge. Not just a financial issue, but also a commitment issue. Look at what happening with Sabonis this season. He's ranked 347 out of like 350 qualified players in the NBA in PER, making him literally, one of the most inefficient (ineffective) players in the entire league. Yet OKC keeps marching him out there and giving him opportunities on a team making a playoff push. No way that happens if he had been picked in the late first round (well, in Sabonis' case they traded away Serge Ibaka for him and Oladipo).

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I did that several years ago. I figured that if my wife could ignore me, maybe I should too.

This is the most accurate post on the subject of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    How in the world does Gonzaga have TWO early entries to the NBA, yet UNC hasn't had one for a few seasons?

UNC did have 2 seniors declare.

Insane.

It will be 3 early entry declarations since 2014.

More than the team that just went to back to back National Championship games.
    Maybe they don't want to take the pay cut? Despite having countless 5 star burger boys, UNC hasn't had a one and done player since Brandon Wright in 2007.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Maybe they don't want to take the pay cut? Despite having countless 5 star burger boys, UNC hasn't had a one and done player since Brandon Wright in 2007.
    Roy would say it's because the academic scandal has hurt recruiting. Imagine the horror of having to survive in the ACC with only a few Burger Boys playing for you every year.

So much speculation right now.

You have to imagine that NWG is going to talk to agents, former players, coaches, etc before even coming up with any decision. Would a possible guarantee of a 2nd round pick do it for him? Staying allows him to finish his masters and play in the national spotlight with a very good team, but could he possibly build on his draft stock or is this the peak for him? This year is a well stocked class, especially for guards, so I do think he has a lot to think about.

As for Zach, there are so many factors. We all know that Zach has only been a starter for 1 season in his career after sitting behind Zimmerman and Jeter in HS before starting his senior year and now behind Shem this year. He has received a lot of national attention in the past weeks and rightfully so as he has been great. Would getting picked just outside the lottery be enough for him to consider going Pro? Would he want a year of being in the spotlight? Hell, would he want another year of college life before going pro? Could he start in the NBA right now or be a role player off the bench? How much could he improve his draft stock?

My overly optimistic guesses.....both test the waters and neither hire agents. NWG waits until about the last possible time and announces he is coming back. Scouts can't guarantee Collins that he will land in the Top 15 and is convinced with starting minutes while adding some muscle to his frame that he has a realistic shot at being a Top 10 and possibly Top 5 in 2018 and he chooses to return as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    If zach leaves this year you think there's a chance he would be out of the league by the time he's 22 or 23? Literally 0 chance barring catastrophic injury.
    My buddies who follow the NBA closely say Jhalil Okafor — 3rd overall pick not too long ago — is well on his way to being out of the league. The NBA can chew you up and spit you out. Hope Zach stays, but you gotta cash in your ticket when you have a chance.