Thread: Gonzaga - Ohio State Pre-Game Media

Default Gonzaga - Ohio State Pre-Game Media

Spokesman-Review: Gonzaga, Ohio State have come long way since November meeting at PK80

Spokesman-Review: Gonzaga didn’t see best of Ohio State’s Keita Bates-Diop in first meeting

Cleveland.com: Ohio State vs. Gonzaga for a Sweet 16 spot, a game for Kaleb Wesson and the Buckeye bigs

SBNation - Slipper Still Fits: NCAA Tournament 2018: Gonzaga vs. Ohio State game preview

OSU - The Lantern: Men’s Basketball: No. 5 Ohio State seeks redemption in rematch against No. 4 Gonzaga in NCAA Tournament

Seattle Times: Gonzaga can’t seem to get away from Ohio State — even at the team hotel

SBNation - Land Grant Holy Land: No. 5 Ohio State has to go big in order to beat No. 4 Gonzaga

Spokesman-Review: Gonzaga was successful in first – and only – NCAA Tournament rematch

Dayton Daily News: Ohio State basketball opens as 3-point underdog against Gonzaga

-------------

The Columbus Dispatch: Walk-on friends to square off as Ohio State faces Gonzaga in NCAA Tournament

BOISE, Idaho – Separated by more than 2,000 miles, Jack Beach and Joey Lane have met in person just once. But when both players take the court Saturday evening in Boise, Idaho, both will be joined by a common bond.

As Ohio State and Gonzaga meet at Taco Bell Arena with a trip to the Sweet Sixteen on the line, the opposing walk-ons are planning to trade school shirts afterward as a nod to their shared group: “WalkOnFrat,” a combination group message/Twitter account/Snapchat group uniting walk-ons from around the college basketball nation.

“It’s just fun,” said Beach, a redshirt sophomore for the Bulldogs. “You get to see how other teams treat their walk-ons. Everyone has similar experiences, so you kind of get to share different stories about coaches and what you learn.”

During two active seasons for Gonzaga, Beach has played in 28 games and averaged 2.1 minutes per appearance. He’s scored four points and grabbed six rebounds but has missed all nine shot attempts this season. Lane, in his three seasons for Ohio State, has made 21 appearances, averaging 2.4 minutes while scoring 22 career points.

Two of those minutes came in late November, as Gonzaga closed out a 27-point win against the Buckeyes in the PK80 Invitational in Portland, Oregon. In spite of what’s at stake, the two share a bond.

“I saw him coming off the court (Thursday) after they won (against UNC-Greensboro), and in Portland we saw each other,” Lane said.

Although both teams are staying at the same level, obligations and the pressures of the NCAA Tournament have obviously prevented the pair from meeting up while in Boise. Their communications have almost exclusively been through their shared group, which includes players from Wichita State, Kentucky, San Diego State, Ohio University and Texas, among other schools.

While discussing the shared group text inside the Gonzaga locker room Friday afternoon, Beach said it had been only three minutes since his last received message.

“We’ve maybe met once, but we all feel like we’re close because we kind of talk every day in there,” he said of the group chat. “We feel close even though we’ve met once or twice or never.”

Lane helps run the official Twitter account, @WalkOnFrat. Though the group, he’s made multiple friends and traded stories.

“We all know what each other is going through and that makes the bond even closer,” he said. “We all have similar stories, which is fun to share those stories. I think because there are less walk-ons in the country than scholarship players, it’s a select few group and we bonded over that.”

But when the Buckeyes and Bulldogs get underway Saturday, the personal allegiances will end – for a while, at least.

“I probably won’t actually give him a high-five during layup lines, but I’ll probably give him a wink or something,” Beach said. “Bragging rights afterwards.”

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Thanks for this!

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22796899

"They didn't turn into LeBron or anything"
    Game plan pretty much the same?
    This interview sounds a little complacent? Or am I reading too much into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22796899

"They didn't turn into LeBron or anything"
    Game plan pretty much the same?
    This interview sounds a little complacent? Or am I reading too much into it?
    Love Silas, but absolutely hated his interview.

He has been far from a world beater presence lately.

Has bulletin board material written all over it.

I thought Perkins, Norvell, & Kispert did a wonderful job during the pressor

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

Melson’s laid back style has been a net negative in his 4 years at GU.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

When was this interview done?

The fourth-seeded Bulldogs (31-4) have a win probability of 64.1 percent against the fifth-seeded Buckeyes (25-8), per ESPN's Basketball Power Index.
    Gonzaga is also favored by four points over Ohio State. The line opened at -2.5 Gonzaga on Thursday, so the money is going toward the Bulldogs thus far.
    https://ohiostate.247sports.com/Bolt...dogs-116360761

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Melson’s laid back style has been a net negative in his 4 years at GU.
    Could be dominant too. Not many guys have a 41” vertical.

Value his defensive prowess, presence, and experience, yet much like last year...holds us back offensively much of the time.

I’m fine with a denfensive stalwart or specilaist playing 20-25 mins a game. Like Mike Hart or Erroll Knight, yet 35 mins makes zero sense to me.

Obviously he brings more than the stat sheet will show, yet in spot mins.

More time for Rui and others, yet UNCG did not Melson him which helped their cause, as predicted.

His 3 pt shots are rare, an anomaly in many games. He had 2 straight TO’s to start the game vs UNCG which killed our start/momentum.

I love Silas, want him to play a ton of mins, yet Coach Few over-playing him last couple games.

Hit the hole Silas, make your presence felt!! The two dribble drive fake has been well scouted.