Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How you became a Zag fan

Watching them play on TV as the game of the week, when they were part of the WCAC, with Dick Enberg broadcasting...those were the days of great college basketball!

Ronny Turiaf and his Afro. Been diehard ever since
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Our daughter was a student during the Zags' first big run in the tournament. I started following non stop but really when my friend who is a season ticket holder took me to a game I was forever hooked. Have gone to every game we can and all the tourneys since. Btw, our daughter who IS the alumni not a big fan of BB. lol She lives in Portland. I text "WE WON!!!" and she texts back "Yay!" She does watch with us when she's home.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    ... Btw, our daughter who IS the alumni not a big fan of BB. lol
    Well that there is just a sign of poor parenting.

Started hearing about this 3 point sharpshooter named John Rillie (1992-1995) and began following and listening on AM radio. I only had a small radio in my home at the time and had to lay on the floor of the bedroom to get reception. My wife walked in, to me laying on the floor with my ear to the radio, listening to the broadcast and asked "What in the world are you doing on the floor"? I responded "SHHHH I'm listening to Gonzaga..." She replied "OMG" and walked out. Now, I can pause the DVR when I get interrupted!

Zagnut 2012

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Well that there is just a sign of poor parenting.
    lol I've corrected that with our granddaughter. Last night we sat next to kennel kids and she kept up with them for the entire game. She even got invited for a picture with cheer leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    There was an amazing thread that I'm unable to find where people told their Zag "fan story". If anyone can find it, it would seem like a great one to bump today to let newer board members add their stories.
    Two such threads devoted to GU fan experiences and origins:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...duction-Thread

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ssed-IN-PERSON

There may be others, azzagfan. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Lived in Spokane. Watched Burgess and company. Also listened on the radio.
    Went to GP and then GU. Was there when Leach, Brown, Sutter, Brodski, etc. were there. Fun to follow

I get this question about once a week as I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. When I was younger id usually get sent to bed around 9:30 but ornery me would sneak out of my room around 10 to catch some late night hoops and guess who happened to captivate my young mind about every other night? 2004 zags were the first team I can remember really following and it's history ever since. My life will be complete next year when the Zags demolish Creighton in my home state. Husker fans hate the blue jays so I will be bringing a large posse to cheer on GU!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

Another one.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...yers-viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Lived in Spokane. Watched Burgess and company. Also listened on the radio.
    Went to GP and then GU. Was there when Leach, Brown, Sutter, Brodski, etc. were there. Fun to follow
    zag67 could you clear some space so I can send you a message? Thanks

I was born and raised for 16 years three blocks from the campus (my folks bought the house from Bill Frasier). Received my first letterman's jacket (replica) for Christmas when I was 6 yrs old. Hung out around campus with other neighborhood urchins as much as possible. Attended St Als, G Prep, and then graduated GU in '69. Been following the Zags ever since. I remember well when they made the NIT and played the 2nd round at Kansas St in Manhattan in 1995. I was in my driveway in central Oklahoma listening to the scratchy in and out KSU broadcast because that was as good as coverage got back then. My how times have changed.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Here's the old fart's story. I was SID in 1957 and roomed with Jean Claude Lefebvre in DeSmet 1st floor, southwest corner. Sat on the window sill to watch Kathryn Crosby dedicate the Library. Players, Blake Elliott, Charlie Jordon, Bob Turner, Norb Trauba (GP), etc. Saw Jean Claude drop 50 on Whitworth in their bandbox. Next year Frank Burgess arrived and he was my All-American. Dennis Vermillion, Richie Williams Gent Davis, Hans Andertsson and George Trontzos who played frosh ball. How could I not be a Zag fan of the Boone Avenue Bruisers?
    I love you young guys stories and I live and die with the Zags fortunes in my retirement. What fun I had shooting hoops in practice with Frank Burgess. Wow.
    Love all our GU hoop fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Here's the old fart's story. I was SID in 1957 and roomed with Jean Claude Lefebvre in DeSmet 1st floor, southwest corner. Sat on the window sill to watch Kathryn Crosby dedicate the Library. Players, Blake Elliott, Charlie Jordon, Bob Turner, Norb Trauba (GP), etc. Saw Jean Claude drop 50 on Whitworth in their bandbox. Next year Frank Burgess arrived and he was my All-American. Dennis Vermillion, Richie Williams Gent Davis, Hans Andertsson and George Trontzos who played frosh ball. How could I not be a Zag fan of the Boone Avenue Bruisers?
    I love you young guys stories and I live and die with the Zags fortunes in my retirement. What fun I had shooting hoops in practice with Frank Burgess. Wow.
    Love all our GU hoop fans.
    Wasn't Oscar McGuire (Maguire?) there about then, he was another favorite of the local kids.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I was born and raised in LA and was originally a UNC fan until the end of grade school but was frustrated with all the players leaving the program early. I was also tired of friends and family rooting for UCLA around 04/05(They were so boring to watch on the offensive end of the floor). So naturally wanted to root for a program where:

-Players develop and stay in school
    -Is fun to watch on the offensive end
    -A school on the west coast so I can easily watch and be able to root against UCLA

#zagup

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

I think this is the best thread I've ever read here. Extremely enjoyable and I think informative as a reference on all of you people. Wish you would "keep it up" or "pin it" or whatever it's called. This thread tells a great story as a whole and it's parts. Thanks.

rony turiaf and his huge afro and I too have been die-hard ever since. Adam Morrison's 45 against Michigan State in the Maui Invational only solitified my love of the Zags.

Yes forgot him. Crazy bunch of gym rats in those years.

My dad and I were at the Tourney games in Seattle in '99. Cheered hard for the Zags those 2 games and been on board with them ever since. We're NW natives and my dad instilled in me a tendency to root for local teams in general.

Coach Fitzgerald lived down the street from my grandparents, I have been rooting for the Zags for 40 years.......

the guys, and a few gals, in offices near mine used to talk so much about Steppe and Dickau's shooting ability in the halls, I was learning about the zags without wanting to
    decided to check a game out to watch their shooting and got hooked after that

Started as a freshman at Gonzaga in '02. Played in the Pep Band, was at the heart-breaking Arizona game that spring.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I was feeling a bit down because I'd been diagnosed with diabetes. This was twenty years ago. So, I decided to go for a loong walk with my Sony Walkman. I turned it on and the Zags were playing. I remember Dan Dickau hitting deep bombs in a come from behind win. I couldn't get enough of the Zags ever since and have not missed a game in twenty years. Turiaf, Morrison, Pangos, and now Jesse Wade are my all time favorites

Attended GU from Fall 1975 - Spring 1979. Always enjoyed following college hoops. Once a Zag, always a Zag.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Grew up in Port Townsend, went to college in Spokane and had friends who went to Gonzaga back in the 70's. Moved to Georgia in the 80's..a college basketball fan moving to Georgia is the equivalent of a "surfer dude" moving to Kansas!! So when Gonzaga began their run back in the late 90's I was able to follow them and their amazing rise to national prominence.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts