Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Daejon Davis to Stanford

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Yep; Kool-Aid & a cookie for everyone. No standards needed.
    Do you seriously have a problem with a 17-year-old changing his mind? What about players that decide to transfer? They also made a commitment to play for a specific university and later changed their mind ... Are Wiltjer, Byron Wesley, Goss, JW 3, etc. deserving of your ire as well?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    Do you seriously have a problem with a 17-year-old changing his mind? What about players that decide to transfer? They also made a commitment to play for a specific university and later changed their mind ... Are Wiltjer, Byron Wesley, Goss, JW 3, etc. deserving of your ire as well?

Let's go Brandon!!!

So why must a 17 yr. old make the commitment in the 1st place if not rock solid sure?

Difference of opinion fellas & that's O.K.

Just a generational thing. You look a man in the eye, you give him your word & you shake his hand.

I'm not losing sleep. I know you're not either. Like I said, it's O.K.
    But we don't play nobody.

We simply don't have enough information in order to form judgements. One of my children did something similar for very good reasons and was treated badly by the pushy narcissistic high school coach for making the change. It turned out to be the best decision. It took some courage and integrity to buck the coach's prejudices. You can't please everyone and you are going to be the one living with the decision.

Seventeen year olds are naive and vulnerable.

So why must a 17 yr. old make the commitment in the 1st place if not rock solid sure?

Difference of opinion fellas & that's O.K.

Just a generational thing. You look a man in the eye, you give him your word & you shake his hand.

I'm not losing sleep. I know you're not either. Like I said, it's O.K.
    So, then people that stop dating each other must be of low character? It's not a generational thing. You and I both agree when it comes to integrity. There needs to be that in this world. Absolutely. I just don't think that a kid who is being pursued by hordes of *adult* coaches in a high pressure situation, where there is no moral recourse within the action itself (what college to play for), can necessarily be wrong for terminating what is technically a temporary situation, as it is.

As has already been stated. We don't know all the details. Sometimes you see the real person or situation for what it is once the infatuation period has worn off. I won't fault a kid wanting to get it right. A kid shouldn't have to commit to where he wants to play, but we've created an artificial system in which he does. So as long as the rules allow for him to adjust his status and he has not committed an act against a moral imperative, thus creating a moral dilemma, I am okay with it. *ESPECIALLY* if it means Gonzaga gets a shot. This would be a huge get.

Yep; Kool-Aid & a cookie for everyone. No standards needed.

What no Milk, boo

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post

+1

This isn't about integrity. This is about him being perceived "Husky stock" and "one of those types" of players.

So we just devolved into the "in my day" argument? His decommitment from the program wasn't an affront on your generation or the strength of your word and handshake. You don't know the nuances behind his decision to reopen his recruitment. Don't attack his character without knowing anything about him except that he can ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

" devolved into the "in my day" argument" a bit of bias tossed in too Don't. Who said it's "devolved". Maybe it should be "evolved". or "elevated"
    Let's not forget the greatest generation. He's 17. I don't know many "evolved" 17 yr olds who I'd trust to make a rock solid decision. He'll be at UW in the end. Maybe he just wants to travel around. Who knows.???

When the crew here looks at this type of kid, we have years and years of experience. Nobody's "damning" the kid but we do know (well many of us experienced guys) how this usually rolls. No criticism. He's a UW Romar type no matter what people say while he's "birthing" his final choice.

Something about UW's program. Once Romar gets his mitts into a kid and shows/convinces him of how BIG TIME UW is, outside of Calipari stealing a few kids to Kentucky, usually they stay around Romar. For most, it's a graveyard over there. Outside of a Dickau, Brown or Goss, most don't get it. Whatever happens, we wish this kid the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    " devolved into the "in my day" argument" a bit of bias tossed in too Don't. Who said it's "devolved". Maybe it should be "evolved". or "elevated"
    lol

Let's not forget the greatest generation. He's 17. I don't know many "evolved" 17 yr olds who I'd trust to make a rock solid decision.
    LOL

Something about UW's program. Once Romar gets his mitts into a kid and shows/convinces him of how BIG TIME UW is, outside of Calipari stealing a few kids to Kentucky, usually they stay around Romar. For most, it's a graveyard over there. Outside of a Dickau, Brown or Goss, most don't get it.
    Some seriously sour grapes here ...

Whatever happens, we wish this kid the best.
    Yeah, that's definitely clear.

In an attempt to steer this thread back to sanity, there's a nice highlight video on his Scout page ...

http://www.scout.com/player/194306-daejon-davis

Let's not forget the greatest generation. He's 17. I don't know many "evolved" 17 yr olds who I'd trust to make a rock solid decision. He'll be at UW in the end. Maybe he just wants to travel around. Who knows.???

When the crew here looks at this type of kid, we have years and years of experience. Nobody's "damning" the kid but we do know (well many of us experienced guys) how this usually rolls. No criticism. He's a UW Romar type no matter what people say while he's "birthing" his final choice.

Something about UW's program. Once Romar gets his mitts into a kid and shows/convinces him of how BIG TIME UW is, outside of Calipari stealing a few kids to Kentucky, usually they stay around Romar. For most, it's a graveyard over there. Outside of a Dickau, Brown or Goss, most don't get it. Whatever happens, we wish this kid the best.
    Absolute truth. Agree 100%
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Let's not forget the greatest generation.
    What does the "Greatest Generation" have to do with the decommitment of a 17 year old kid?

Hey Duke , now that you've become an editor, let me point out something. WE at GU kick the #### out of UW. Any possible resaon for "sour grapes" is negated by the record alone. No sour grapes at all. Just to be clear. We're doing well enough without the Romar kids. I hope you understand there would be no basis for sour grapes. It's not gonna happen when we're like 10-1 for the past decade.
    Just a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by WyoZag View Post
    What does the "Greatest Generation" have to do with the decommitment of a 17 year old kid?
    That's the point. Nothing. When DOnt began the "back in the day" talk, I thought it would be proper to point out the greatest generation is NOT the 17 yr olds. People with experience and the term "devolve" tied to "back in the day" sorta got my attention. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    +1

This isn't about integrity. This is about him being perceived "Husky stock" and "one of those types" of players.
    And let me re-state. The sad part? Is the kid talks about team, community, coaches, wanting to play in the NBA, wanting to do whatever is asked of him to win, and *BEING AT A UNIVERSITY THAT PREPARES HIM FOR LIFE AFTER COLLEGE, IN THE EVENT THE NBA DOESN'T WORK OUT*. Doesn't sound like a Romar kid. Doesn't sound like a Coach Cal kid. Sounds like a Few-type player. Sounds like a Gonzaga Bulldog.

Might be right Coach. It' s not worth arguing over. Seems like the ornery types will begin a "hassle" over the simplest of statements. We'll see how it works out. Peace!

This thread is imo something of an embarrassment to the GU fan base. Hope the kid doesn't read it. Over the years the staff has done a remarkable job of finding kids who play the game with a high IQ as well as being good teammates; very few exceptions. Decommitments are, for better or worse, part of the recruiting game today. I'd have an issue if a kid backed out w/o a really good reason in the fall shortly before signing day and left a program short handed. Doing it now, it really shouldn't be a problem for anybody if it isn't one for those doing the evaluation.

Some really good kids from the Seattle area have chosen to play at UW. I'll root against them as college players but wish them well in their careers.

Well said Abe.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    This thread is imo something of an embarrassment to the GU fan base. Hope the kid doesn't read it. Over the years the staff has done a remarkable job of finding kids who play the game with a high IQ as well as being good teammates; very few exceptions. Decommitments are, for better or worse, part of the recruiting game today. I'd have an issue if a kid backed out w/o a really good reason in the fall shortly before signing day and left a program short handed. Doing it now, it really shouldn't be a problem for anybody if it isn't one for those doing the evaluation.

Some really good kids from the Seattle area have chosen to play at UW. I'll root against them as college players but wish them well in their careers.
    This. If things changed and the staff took a run at this kid and landed him he would all the sudden change from a"Romar Type" to Zag material in the eyes of the naysayers.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    This. If things changed and the staff took a run at this kid and landed him he would all the sudden change from a"Romar Type" to Zag material in the eyes of the naysayers.
    Sure would. Just don't get why everyone has to diss college kids on here. Many people were wrong with EMac, and look now. He's some type of fan favorite around here.

Trust the staff! You people don't get it!!!!!

Stop thinking you actually know something about these kids because you don't!!!!!!
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Former Huskies and other successful kids from the Seattle area like Jamal Crawford seem to lead these high major caliber Seattle metro kids away from choosing GU. A lot of those kids have grown up watching many recent UW players go pro & have successful NBA careers

At least there are some coaches in the area who actually like Gonzaga. Corey Kispert's high school coach is a Zags fan; & he also has an AAU coach who is a Gonzaga alumnus.

Also of note, Erroll Knight is one of the coaches for Seattle Rotary: http://www.d1circuit.com/page/show/2...tle-rotary-wa-

On the topic of commitment and integrity, coaches can and do change jobs at a moments notice. Sometimes to go to the NBA, sometimes switching to another college team. If the adults can do this, why are teenagers held to a different standard?

Gonzaga Is Eyeing The Former University Of Washington Commit
    http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga...hington-talent