Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Daejon Davis to Stanford

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Problem is that even if Daejon was serious about potentially wanting to become a Zag, which is highly doubtful, Kispert's commitment has put GU at the scholarship limit for 2017-18.

Scholarships are on a year-to-year basis, but talking about who should leave/give up a scholarship for Daejon is a forbidden topic here.
    If you can get a kid like Daejon, you don't let something like this get in the way. If anyone wants to know who I would let go, please message me. It's a no-brainer, at that point.

I think we all know you'd pull Kispert's scholly.

However, I do agree you do what you have to to get a kid like Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I think we all know you'd pull Kispert's scholly.

However, I do agree you do what you have to to get a kid like Davis.
    No. Since people tend to misconstrue what I said about Corey, just know it is not him...but there are two that I think make logical choices, if it came down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    No. But since people tend to misconstrue what I said about Corey, just know it is not him...but there are two that I think make logical choices, if it came down to it.
    Like your thinking Crazy. Doubt it happens.

This kid won't be on our roster. Just won't. He's a Forme frust Romar type of kid. Nice player but seriously when kids continue to pound on the goal of NBA, they fit better elsewhere. Krispert is a great kid and when YOU see him play you will know GU scored max when this kid signed to go to GU. Great college player for the whole 4 years here. He just "fits".

If this kid's backing off uw 'cause he's not "feeling enough love" then the only time I care to see him in Spokane is in someone else's uniform.

Did I interpret those comments incorrectly?
    But we don't play nobody.

Exactly fitty. No chance. I'd take Krispert. He'll be a workhorse not a showhorse. We need a kid or two like Krispert. He's a "ZAG"! lol.

Is Krispert Jenks' teammate?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Since when do the kids who play at UW not play hard or work hard? There is nothing with being "showy". It doesn't mean you are not a hard worker, or fundamentally sound player.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    This kid won't be on our roster. Just won't. He's a Forme frust Romar type of kid. Nice player but seriously when kids continue to pound on the goal of NBA, they fit better elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    If this kid's backing off uw 'cause he's not "feeling enough love" then the only time I care to see him in Spokane is in someone else's uniform.
    This line of reasoning drives me absolutely bananas ... What exactly is wrong with a kid wanting to play for a program that is vocal about wanting him to be there? I seem to recall Perkins saying something to the effect of "You gotta love who loves you" when he committed to GU - didn't see anyone batting an eye at that point.

And why shouldn't GU want kids who want to play in the NBA and are vocal about it? Is anyone prepared to say that we wouldn't have benefited from DeJounte Murray's presence last year? We were in his final two, and now he's about to be a first rounder after a very strong season at UW. Discounting kids because they're upfront about their goals is lunacy.

Jenks........AKA Perks....yes he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    This line of reasoning drives me absolutely bananas ... What exactly is wrong with a kid wanting to play for a program that is vocal about wanting him to be there? I seem to recall Perkins saying something to the effect of "You gotta love who loves you" when he committed to GU - didn't see anyone batting an eye at that point.

And why shouldn't GU want kids who want to play in the NBA and are vocal about it? Is anyone prepared to say that we wouldn't have benefited from DeJounte Murray's presence last year? We were in his final two, and now he's about to be a first rounder after a very strong season at UW. Discounting kids because they're upfront about their goals is lunacy.
    Nice straw man argument Duke. Perks said something about the school and the school loving him. I don't see anything about NBA NBA NBA. And who discounts a kid here? nobody.
    To have NBA aspirations is one thing. We like that. Focusing on college as a simple tool to get to the NBA seems a bit out of kilter. Just my opinion. I'd prefer a new kid focusing on the task at hand....college and his friends on the team and others to be made.

Nice straw man argument Duke. Perks said something about the school and the school loving him. I don't see anything about NBA NBA NBA. And who discounts a kid here? nobody.
    To have NBA aspirations is one thing. We like that. Focusing on college as a simple tool to get to the NBA seems a bit out of kilter. Just my opinion. I'd prefer a new kid focusing on the task at hand....college and his friends on the team and others to be made.
    You mean, like focusing on college to become a doctor? Have you heard Daejon talk about school? He actually sounds like a Gonzaga kid.

I'd prefer a new kid focusing on the task at hand....college and his friends on the team and others to be made.
    Have you been able to find a correlation between college success on the court, overall team success, and future life success with kids who don't fit your preference? I get it. But not every kid that goes to Gonzaga, or is a Gonzaga fit, is going to think that way. Nothing wrong with using the college experience as a means to an end.

Did I interpret those comments incorrectly?
    Nope you got it right

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Is Krispert Jenks' teammate?
    Nice

Kitz, with a gorgeous move. Hearing it from the crowd.

Apologies to the great Marvelous one.

Nice straw man argument Duke. Perks said something about the school and the school loving him. I don't see anything about NBA NBA NBA.
    Not a straw man argument, whatsoever ... Davis was being criticized for backing out of his commitment for a perceived "lack of love" from UW. I contend that there is nothing wrong with a player who wants to play for a program that is excited about him, and pointed to Perkins as an example of a player that many of us hold in high regard who pointed to that "love" as a big factor in his decision.

Pretty straightforward.
    Last edited by DukeSilver; 05-26-2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo

The kid committed, correct?

Then he backed out, correct?

Pretty straightforward.

The kid committed, correct?

Then he backed out, correct?

Pretty straightforward.
    And? Nothing wrong with that. It happens. Much ado about nothing.

And? Nothing wrong with that. It happens. Much ado about nothing.

I agree.

I don't get the churlish responses in this thread.

The bottom line is that he's a Top 40 kid who has expressed interest in our program. We should be ecstatic and hopeful that Few and co. see him as a good fit, not manufacturing ridiculous reasons why he could never be a Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I agree.

I don't get the churlish responses in this thread.
    I get that being a person of your word is important. Integrity. Absolutely. But we're talking about a non-binding verbal commitment. These are *kids*. Things should be allowed to change. Sometimes you don't see everything right away. We don't know why he backed off. If this were a moral issue, then great. I can see where it would be important for him to stick to his word, but we're also in a game where it is okay for him to decide to go elsewhere. And I just don't see it as a moral dilemma. So, hard for me to be mad at the kid. This is a major life choice, flexibility on some level should exist.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    The bottom line is that he's a Top 40 kid who has expressed interest in our program. We should be ecstatic and hopeful that Few and co. see him as a good fit, not manufacturing ridiculous reasons why he could never be a Zag.
    +1

I get that being a person of your word is important. Integrity. Absolutely. But we're talking about a non-binding verbal commitment. These are *kids*. Things should be allowed to change. Sometimes you don't see everything right away. We don't know why he backed off. If this were a moral issue, then great. I can see where it would be important for him to stick to his word, but we're also in a game where it is okay for him to decide to go elsewhere. And I just don't see it as a moral dilemma. So, hard for me to be mad at the kid. This is a major life choice, flexibility on some level should exist.
    Yep; Kool-Aid & a cookie for everyone. No standards needed.

Yep; Kool-Aid & a cookie for everyone. No standards needed.
    Hyperbole. I agree with having standards, I just don't think we should be expecting a 16 or 17 year old to be 100% in on where he is going to school when they are still growing and developing. Again, there is no moral dilemma in saying "I want to play for said school" and then re-opening that search. Heaven forbid someone continue to assess their choice and make sure they have it right.

Again. No moral dilemma here. It's where they are going to play their college ball. Hopefully, for the entirety of their career. Now, if he has purposeful deceit in mind, then we are talking about things such as dishonesty, and that is where I would take issue.

If a coach were to get fired or do something corrupt that would affect the program, no one in their right mind would be against the kid changing direction. So, we all believe in conditional commitment. This kid's commitment was conditional.

I suppose you'd wish we start arresting these kids for stealing the ball from another player during the game. Cause ya know, stealing...