Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daejon Davis to Stanford

Default Daejon Davis to Stanford

Zags offered and is a top 40 2017. Looks like he backed out of UW and is reopening his recruitment.

Daejon Davis ‏@DaejonDavis 30m30 minutes ago
    I have decided to reopen my recruitment and I am no longer commited to The University of Washington, they will remain at the top of my list

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_articl...8?referrer_id=

http://http://www.scout.com/player/194306-daejon-davis

Listen to him explain what he wants out of his experience. If you listen closer you'll hear "I want to go to Gonzaga, where I can go to Gonzaga, and be with people who go to Gonzaga, and coaches from Gonzaga..."

Would be a huge get, and one of the next dominoes to fall in Few's recruiting progression.

"Very unlikely"

per History

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    "Very unlikely"

per History
    I agree. I don't think the zags ever got a kid from rainier beach or Garfield. When's the last time they got someone from the Metro league?

Quote Originally Posted by nish_mode View Post
    I agree. I don't think the zags ever got a kid from rainier beach or Garfield. When's the last time they got someone from the Metro league?
    Gray?

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Gray?
    Gray grew up in Irondale, Wash., a port community about a six-hour drive away from Spokane. He split his high school career between Chimacum and Bainbridge, leading both high schools to incredible success.

So technically yes but not really a city kid.

Somebody tell Ultra!!

Quote Originally Posted by nish_mode View Post
    That's not necessarily relevant, though? When was the last time they got a kid from Simeon or Gorman, or even a burger boy...before they did? This program has a lot of momentum, right now. Very close to back to back Elite Eight's, recruiting momentum, and players that talent want to play with.

The only team on the list of potentials that I have seen, that should be taken seriously, is Oregon. But even then, I would want to see how they do after their two declaree's are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    http://http://www.scout.com/player/194306-daejon-davis

Listen to him explain what he wants out of his experience. If you listen closer you'll hear "I want to go to Gonzaga, where I can go to Gonzaga, and be with people who go to Gonzaga, and coaches from Gonzaga..."

Would be a huge get, and one of the next dominoes to fall in Few's recruiting progression.
    Play the interview backwards:

"Paul is dead. Gonzaga is my first choice right now. Paul is dead. Do it"
    Ihre Papiere bitte

That's not necessarily relevant, though? When was the last time they got a kid from Simeon or Gorman, or even a burger boy...before they did? This program has a lot of momentum, right now. Very close to back to back Elite Eight's, recruiting momentum, and players that talent want to play with.

The only team on the list of potentials that I have seen, that should be taken seriously, is Oregon. But even then, I would want to see how they do after their two declaree's are gone.
    Oregon has been rolling along fine year to year no matter who they lose the entire time Altman has been their coach. I eventually learned to not discount the Ducks even if it looks like they might be headed for a bit of a down year.

I think it is still relevant. Seattle is the closest source for elite HS talent and Gonzaga has never really had any success there. Not saying it can't change, but for now Seattle kids go go UW, Louisville, Arizona or other Pac 12 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Play the interview backwards:

"Paul is dead. Gonzaga is my first choice right now. Paul is dead. Do it"
    This! +1

I'd be very surprised if either Brooks or Boucher leave; both are marginal NBA prospects at this point and are said to be just taking advantage of the new draft eval rules. People there seem to think Dorsey is the most likely to turn pro; has dual citizenship in Greece and wouldn't count as a foreign player there. But Ducks are adding another JC POY and three 4 star fr. Too early to tell, but not unreasonable to think they'll be better.

Exactly...Boucher is rated in the 60's of just the underclassmen and hasn't hired an agent. It's a good way to get your name out there, find out what the scouts see, and then come back to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I'd be very surprised if either Brooks or Boucher leave; both are marginal NBA prospects at this point and are said to be just taking advantage of the new draft eval rules. People there seem to think Dorsey is the most likely to turn pro; has dual citizenship in Greece and wouldn't count as a foreign player there. But Ducks are adding another JC POY and three 4 star fr. Too early to tell, but not unreasonable to think they'll be better.

I think it is still relevant. Seattle is the closest source for elite HS talent and Gonzaga has never really had any success there. Not saying it can't change, but for now Seattle kids go go UW, Louisville, Arizona or other Pac 12 schools.
    On its own it means very little. There is nuance to be had. Let's say we have a kid that wants to go to a place similar to Gonzaga, and it comes down to Washington, Oregon, and Washington? Our success with those kids in the past is largely irrelevant. Nuance is important. I thought my "hidden message" post about his interview was humorous. From a serious take, I think the more he spoke, the less I thought about UW being a viable option, for his goals.

He sounds like a Mark Few-type player, but he has to want to let Mark Few and Co. make that case. If he doesn't, that's the most relevant piece of information.

The only recruit that was anything close to the city was Gary Bell, he played for rotary but wasn't from the city. Other than Gary, Errol Knight was the only true kid from Seattle, but he was a transfer. Almost forgot about Errol.

It's just tough recruiting in UW's backyard. The influence from the former UW NBA guys is very strong. Not to mention, former Garfield/Beach alum Conroy is now an assistant.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...s-decommitment

Mentions Gonzaga has reached out to him since his decommitment along with Arizona, Washington State, Baylor, Indiana, Oregon State and Boise State. Would have the most suave moustache since Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan94 View Post
    http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...s-decommitment

Mentions Gonzaga has reached out to him since his decommitment along with Arizona, Washington State, Baylor, Indiana, Oregon State and Boise State. Would have the most suave moustache since Morrison.
    That's quite the list. A lot of coaches on that list that I respect, which tells me this is likely a high character kid. Actually, just the Oregon State, Boise, and Arizona would tell me it's a pretty high character kid.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Recruiting update on Daejon:

Since opening up, the class of 2017 prospect has heard from Oregon, Gonzaga, Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, UCLA, California, Washington State, and Oregon State.

IN HIS OWN WORDS: Davis explains his decision to de-commit from Washington and what stands out about a few of the schools recruiting him.

Gonzaga: “They are winners too. They also have a lot of guys that have made the NBA.”

WHAT’S NEXT? Davis said he wants to really take his time with the recruiting process this time around. He plans to look into all the schools thoroughly and will his take as many visits as he needs before making a commitment to a school.

RIVALS’ REACTION: Oregon certainly has caught his attention with its recent success under Dana Altman. Washington has generally done a pretty good job under Lorenzo Romar of keeping local kids home, so it could end up being a battle between the two Pac-12 rivals.

More at the link: https://basketballrecruiting.n.rival...looking-around
    Not holding my breath on landing this kid. Attends Garfield, very athletic

We may not get him, but if these Seattle kids start seeing more and more Zags in the draft, and the McD's high 4/5*'s funneling into the program, we are going to get a few to bite (GBJ was Kent,WA). From there, the rest is a matter of exponential growth.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    That's quite the list. A lot of coaches on that list that I respect, which tells me this is likely a high character kid. Actually, just the Oregon State, Boise, and Arizona would tell me it's a pretty high character kid.
    Update from yesterday ....

https://basketballrecruiting.n.rival...ball-prospects

Davis is the kind of kid that Lorenzo Romar and the Huskies usually feast on. They did, for a while at least, landing an early commitment. However, this spring Davis backed off his early pledge and talk surrounding it had to do with not feeling enough love from the Huskies after his commitment. Davis, athletic and able to play multiple positions, has mentioned Arizona, Gonzaga and Oregon

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Gray grew up in Irondale, Wash., a port community about a six-hour drive away from Spokane. He split his high school career between Chimacum and Bainbridge, leading both high schools to incredible success.

So technically yes but not really a city kid.
    Isn't Seattle a port city about a 6 hour drive from Spokane? That part is irrelevant!

Problem is that even if Daejon was serious about potentially wanting to become a Zag, which is highly doubtful, Kispert's commitment has put GU at the scholarship limit for 2017-18.

Scholarships are on a year-to-year basis, but talking about who should leave/give up a scholarship for Daejon is a forbidden topic here.