• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gu03alum
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagzilla View Post
    Fr Dussault was also one of the first people I thought of. Choking up as I type this. He is smiling today.
    Also remembering Fr Morissette a friend to all and Zag fan
    Wish longtime scoreboard operator John Oakley had lived just a little longer so he could see this day

Go Zags!

ZZ
    I'm glad you mentioned Father Al.
    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Zagcity
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
      Sam Cozza -- my classmate and huge Zag fan .... known around these parts as Zag77. I hope the guys are listening this week to Sam's advice ... "Make your $)^%@ free throws"GoZags
      All the Zags discussion's I had with Sammy and I never new he was Zag77, wow. He was here for a good part of the ride and is sorely missed. I'm sure he's rooting from above. Here's to Sammy!

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
        From Mr S:

Here's to the winners - lift up the glasses .
        Here's to the glory still to be.
        Here's to the battle, whatever it's for,
        To ask the best of ourselves, then give much more.

Here's to the heroes - those who move mountains.
        Here's to the miracles they make us see.
        Here's to all brothers - here's to all people
        Here's to the winners all of us can be.

Here's to the heroes - those who move mountains.
        Here's to the miracles they make us see.
        Here's to all brothers - here's to all people
        Here's to the winners all of us can be.
        Nicely done Jazz. I'll tell you .... I have enjoyed learning about Zags who I hadn't known before and fondly remembering those that I knew (or knew of). Here's the YouTube link to the lyrics you've posted above. Truer words have never been spoken (or sung) GoZags
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• zag67
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

I would also like to add my mom. But John Brodski and Denny Freuen and I would talk a lot about the zags of today. I have followed them since mid to late 50s and have to say it has been a GREAT journey and I like how we got here (not 1 and done).

Comment

• 77Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Aug 2007

It dawned on me while the Zags' Final Four achievement is a "miracle" to have happened in my lifetime ..... there are many, many others who are enjoying this "ride" from a much better vantage point than mine.

Here's my starting 5 of great Zags who didn't get to experience it in "this" lifetime (and you're welcome to add yours).

Jim Solan --- older brother to my close high school friend. It was a joy when Jim came home to Aberdeen from Gonzaga ... especially at Christmas. Jim is the reason I chose Gonzaga and I clearly recall getting the stuffing hugged out of me by Jim on the concourse of KeyArena after the Stanford victory in '99. This is a "once in a lifetime" experience we said to each other. We were wrong. Jim was a Senior when I was a freshman at Gonzaga .... and then he went to GU Law School .... so he was a GREAT sounding board for me (and probably the best guy I've ever met). Jim left us waaaaaay too soon.

Father Tony Lehman --- can you imagine folks bumping in to Father Tony these days? He's been at his new place for 15 years now and I'm positive that EVERY day, he greets somebody by name who walks away shaking their heads. After all, they'd only met him once and it was over a decade ago. "To be continued ....."

Dick Shomburg -- El Voce ... the "Voice of Reason" ---- he's the other guy who hugged the stuffing out of me after a key Zag victory .... in this case after the improbable run that kept the "streak" alive --- our win over Santa Clara in the WCC Championship game at Chiles in '07 (after the Heytvelt situation/suspension). You are deeply missed, Dick .... and to this day we frequently need your "Voice of Reason" on this board.

David Robinson -- I never met Mr. Robinson, but his contributions to Gonzaga and the Spokane community are meaningful to this day and his legacy lives within his children and grandchildren ..... all GREAT Zags

Sam Cozza -- my classmate and huge Zag fan .... known around these parts as Zag77. I hope the guys are listening this week to Sam's advice ... "Make your $)^%@ free throws"

And my 6th man is hopefully "non" controversial ... Fitz. He laid the foundation ....... and the guys he brought in certainly built upon that foundation.

This is a special time .... and I'm just grateful to be around for it. And as I said earlier ..... I KNOW there are countless others who are also cherishing this special, special time.... so .... feel free to add yours .... and if you can .... please share with us a little "tidbit" or two about them.

GoZags
            So glad you posted this...so many waited to see this happen and were stripped of the moment too early. Keep in mind, they have a very comfortable sky box to overlook this "miracle". Something tells me we have some huge fans watching from above. Special shout out to my Dad, Mel "Big Elmo" Micheletti- he became the biggest Zag fan ever, wish he was still here to chat about the squad and our games. Side note, he was at USF with Bill Russell - God Bless

Go Zags - Beat the Game Cocks!
            “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• 77Zag
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Zagcity View Post
              All the Zags discussion's I had with Sammy and I never new he was Zag77, wow. He was here for a good part of the ride and is sorely missed. I'm sure he's rooting from above. Here's to Sammy!
              Cheers!
              “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• RainierZag
                Bulldog Fan
                • Sep 2009

Mary McCann, who left us a few short months ago deserves to be mentioned in this thread. Her husband Jack is "carrying on" but the entire Gonzaga family misses Mary.

Comment

• Bowser
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Without intending to be part of a Hallelujah chorus, my shout out is to my classmate at two institutions of higher learning, Zag77, Sam Cozza. It would be fitting that perfection at the foul line would be the key to a Bulldog victory. Because I prize my anonymity, Sam never knew who Bowser "really" was [who does?], even though I used to make snide remarks about garbanzo beans and pasta in replies to some of his posts, hoping he would guess. A perfect straight man for any comedy routine with a nice chuckle to boot. Its too bad he isn't here for us to see his reaction to a GU Final Four. I saw a thread about him about the time he passed. I got some stories to tell, but it didn't feel right to share them. Still doesn't.

Comment

• cjm720
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I too miss Father Tony, which leads me to my post. He presided over the wedding of my god sister and her father, and my god father, Edmund Ganley, would be so proud of this team and Coach Few. Originally from
                    New Jersey, followed by a long career in LA, he moved up to Spokane and put all three daughters through Gonzaga. He's the best man I've ever known-just a fine human being-who was taken from us way too soon. I miss him but am so grateful knowing he's proud of his Zags! I'll be cheering with you, Ed.
                    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• GlacierZag
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bowser View Post
                      Without intending to be part of a Hallelujah chorus, my shout out is to my classmate at two institutions of higher learning, Zag77, Sam Cozza. It would be fitting that perfection at the foul line would be the key to a Bulldog victory. Because I prize my anonymity, Sam never knew who Bowser "really" was [who does?], even though I used to make snide remarks about garbanzo beans and pasta in replies to some of his posts, hoping he would guess. A perfect straight man for any comedy routine with a nice chuckle to boot. Its too bad he isn't here for us to see his reaction to a GU Final Four. I saw a thread about him about the time he passed. I got some stories to tell, but it didn't feel right to share them. Still doesn't.
                      I got to know Sam over the last 4 or 5 years .... he was a true Zag through and through.

Comment

• UberZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Great comments GZ!
                        If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• GoZags
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Consider this thread officially “bumped”, in honor of BobZag, El Voce, the others referenced above and the other stories of Zags that will follow on this thread. Please remember them
                          all ... and please share.
                          sigpic
                          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                          ——-
                          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Consider this thread officially “bumped”, in honor of BobZag, El Voce, the others referenced above and the other stories of Zags that will follow on this thread. Please remember them
                            all ... and please share.
                            The only solace (and it's not much), but at least the three you listed above knew this day was coming. We haven't won an NC yet. But multiple FFs, they knew.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                              Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DZ View Post
                              The only solace (and it's not much), but at least the three you listed above knew this day was coming. We haven't won an NC yet. But multiple FFs, they knew.
                              Absolutely.

I still have El Voce's obituary displayed in my zags man cave. It is absolutely as much 'zag' as anything I have on display!
                              Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• Section 116
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Nice Woohoo. Though our group has shrunk, we still have our Tuesday lunches although they are Zoom type meetings these days. ElVoce comes up frequently.

Comment

Working...
                                X