• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

This one's for you, "El Voce", BobZag .... and a host of others

Bringing this thread out of retirement, as there are more stories to share. Would love to hear yours. One thing is certain. My (our) man BobZag would have LOVED this group of guys.
    ————-
    It dawned on me while the Zags' Final Four achievement is a "miracle" to have happened in my lifetime ..... there are many, many others who are enjoying this "ride" from a much better vantage point than mine.

Here's my starting 5 of great Zags who didn't get to experience it in "this" lifetime (and you're welcome to add yours).

Jim Solan --- older brother to my close high school friend. It was a joy when Jim came home to Aberdeen from Gonzaga ... especially at Christmas. Jim is the reason I chose Gonzaga and I clearly recall getting the stuffing hugged out of me by Jim on the concourse of KeyArena after the Stanford victory in '99. This is a "once in a lifetime" experience we said to each other. We were wrong. Jim was a Senior when I was a freshman at Gonzaga .... and then he went to GU Law School .... so he was a GREAT sounding board for me (and probably the best guy I've ever met). Jim left us waaaaaay too soon.

Father Tony Lehman --- can you imagine folks bumping in to Father Tony these days? He's been at his new place for 15 years now and I'm positive that EVERY day, he greets somebody by name who walks away shaking their heads. After all, they'd only met him once and it was over a decade ago. "To be continued ....."

Dick Shomburg -- El Voce ... the "Voice of Reason" ---- he's the other guy who hugged the stuffing out of me after a key Zag victory .... in this case after the improbable run that kept the "streak" alive --- our win over Santa Clara in the WCC Championship game at Chiles in '07 (after the Heytvelt situation/suspension). You are deeply missed, Dick .... and to this day we frequently need your "Voice of Reason" on this board.

David Robinson -- I never met Mr. Robinson, but his contributions to Gonzaga and the Spokane community are meaningful to this day and his legacy lives within his children and grandchildren ..... all GREAT Zags

Sam Cozza -- my classmate and huge Zag fan .... known around these parts as Zag77. I hope the guys are listening this week to Sam's advice ... "Make your $)^%@ free throws"

And my 6th man is hopefully "non" controversial ... Fitz. He laid the foundation ....... and the guys he brought in certainly built upon that foundation.

This is a special time .... and I'm just grateful to be around for it. And as I said earlier ..... I KNOW there are countless others who are also cherishing this special, special time.... so .... feel free to add yours .... and if you can .... please share with us a little "tidbit" or two about them.

GoZags
    Last edited by GoZags; 03-31-2021, 11:27 AM.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

This thread is on the fast track to the HOF.

ETA: Fr. Tony knew everyone by name on campus. Simply an incredible man, whom I miss greatly after all these years.

Comment

• Rangerzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Lest we forget, Frank Burgess.

Also I would like to add Greg Sten just because he was my vintage and a great Zag.

edited to add:

Great thread GZ!

GoZags!!!
      "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
      "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
      I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• Section 116
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Good job GoZags! I actually thought about El Voce after the game on Saturday. Dick was a longtime friend of mine and I just know he is a happy camper, as his beloved Zags finally made the "Final Four". In addition I had a long career of my own in the Spokane County Courthouse, as did my wife, and we both knew Sam Cozza very well. I suspect all those you mentioned and a host of others are joyously celebrating!

Comment

• Bing
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

I know that Father Arthur Dussault is enjoying Gonzaga success.
          gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Comment

• laszagas
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

I don't post often, but thought this thread was appropriate to dedicate the Final 4 to my Grandpa - Richard "Dick" Busch. He was an engineering professor at Gonzaga as well as the head baseball coach at Gonzaga from 1945-1966. He moved the baseball team to the Big Sky Conference and even won a conference championship and coach of the year in 1965. He passed away about 10 years ago.

Understandably, he was a HUGE Gonzaga basketball fan and when he retired in the 80s, the school gave him two basketball tickets for the rest of his and his wife's life (my grandma is 94 and she still get's 2 tix to every home game - can you believe the luck!) I started going to games with him when I was just 5 or 6 years old and sit right behind the GU bench and marvel at Fitz screaming and yelling in the huddles. I continued going to several games a year with him even while I was at G-Prep in the 90s. I know he's smiling down from heaven watching his beloved Bulldogs go to their first ever Final 4 (but not last!!!)

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by laszagas View Post
              I don't post often, but thought this thread was appropriate to dedicate the Final 4 to my Grandpa - Richard "Dick" Busch. He was an engineering professor at Gonzaga as well as the head baseball coach at Gonzaga from 1945-1966. He moved the baseball team to the Big Sky Conference and even won a conference championship and coach of the year in 1965. He passed away about 10 years ago.

Understandably, he was a HUGE Gonzaga basketball fan and when he retired in the 80s, the school gave him two basketball tickets for the rest of his and his wife's life (my grandma is 94 and she still get's 2 tix to every home game - can you believe the luck!) I started going to games with him when I was just 5 or 6 years old and sit right behind the GU bench and marvel at Fitz screaming and yelling in the huddles. I continued going to several games a year with him even while I was at G-Prep in the 90s. I know he's smiling down from heaven watching his beloved Bulldogs go to their first ever Final 4 (but not last!!!)
              Small world, my uncle was one of your Grandpa's players! 😀

Comment

• Zag87
                Redshirt
                • Feb 2007

Dwan Hurt.....Big Daddy "D" needs to be part of this thread.

Comment

• laszagas
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                  Small world, my uncle was one of your Grandpa's players! ��
                  If you knew him, you'd know the smell of his sweet tobacco pipe. Pretty sure he smoked it in the dugout and possibly in the classroom. He was never without it...

Comment

• Zag_Dad
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                    This thread is on the fast track to the HOF.

ETA: Fr. Tony knew everyone by name on campus. Simply an incredible man, whom I miss greatly after all these years.
                    You know Fr. Tony is cheering from the Heavens. His seat at the end of the row on the court gave him the best view of the games until he was called home to Heaven where he watches the games with the rest of the members mentioned in this post.

Fr Tony was a legend at GU and I had the privilege of getting to know him well when he was the resident Jesuit at Cushing Hall the year I was an RA for that dorm.

Love this thread. GO ZAGS

Comment

• FuManShoes
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I was just thinking about this. Thanks or the post. Definitely hoisting one for all the fans, board members and benefactors who aren't around to see it. But really, they've got the best seat in the house. Go Zags.
                      “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• NJZag
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2007

On the shoulders of giants ...

"[Fitzgerald] he told me about his first coaching job, handling the JVs at a Catholic high school in L.A. One day, the opposing coach was sick, replaced by a nun in full habit. “You gotta be kiddin’ me,” Fitzgerald said. “I’ve got about 12 pages of notes and every offense known to mankind.” The nun won.

Dan Fitzgerald, the gregarious, mercurial guy who laid the foundation for the men's basketball program at Gonzaga dies at 67 after collapsing outside a Spokane resident.

"The diagnosis of brain cancer caught us all off guard, but his courage, optimism and the ability to try to enjoy each day inspired all who knew him.... He felt strongly about helping those less fortunate and sat on a number of community boards. After a trip to Kenya he made lifelong friends with a Masai community and helped them to establish their first school. Jim will always be remembered for his vitality and joy of life. His charisma, smile, laugh, and the ability to tell an Irish joke will not soon be forgotten."

Although faltering, Jim didn't miss a St. Patrick's gathering with Fr. Frank Costello and other alumni just a few months before his passing. RIP.

And the Padre ...
                        A small bit on Father Tony Lehmann SJ, from Gonzaga University.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                          Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                          • Feb 2007

Oh wow. Got a little misty-eyed reading the OP by GoZags. Great call on this thread...ugh...(I also second the nomination that this ends up directly in the HoF).

Like Section116, I immediately thought of my good friend ElVoce. I only met him ONCE, but was in contact with him often over the course of the last year or so of his life. WHAT A ZAG!! He was special, and I couldn't help but think how elated he would have been when that buzzer sounded after walloping Xavier.

RIP my friend!!

And you mentioned some other great zags too. Had many great email conversations with the honorable Sam Cozza (one of the reasons I LOVE putting together the Schedule of Destiny every season).
                          Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• Zags11
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

Great thread!

Comment

• ZaggyStardust
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Feb 2007

I'd like to add my mom Ellen. She loved going to Zag games with me and would climb to the top of the Kennel where my seats are even though she would have to stop a couple of times to catch her breath. When she couldn't make it up the stairs any longer I would trade in my tickets for ADA seats when she would go with. She passed in 2012 and I miss her every day but especially on game days. She would love this!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X