• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJ777
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Ikancagin View Post
    Fragments is one of my favorites but I am also very fond of the first UW transfer and tough guy Eric Brady. He was a big part of the start of all of this. I vote for him.
    Don't you hate auto correct sometimes?

Comment

• madzag
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2007

Also from the start of the run, Quentin Hall. Small in stature but loved his attitude and general pestering of opponents, remember him jawing at the UConn guards in the first Elite 8, plus his shot is half of 'the runner!'

Plus he was the namesake for Q the bulldog who was a fixture in the athletic dept and around campus when I was there

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

We made it to Post #23 before my all-time fav got listed.

I've considered projects centered around defining a "Zag." And, I'm not clear on the whole definition yet, but I know the picture alongside would be Turiaf.

How many D-1 athletes turn down NBA-sized checks as Juniors because they can't bear the thought of their roommate - Brian Michaelson, who barely played - couldn't stand the thought of Brian being the only senior standing there on the next senior night? That's heart, a heart so big the Lakers figured out it needed to be tied down and stapled just to keep it in.

Plus, I doubt the Kennel was ever louder than when he got the alley-oop about 4 minutes into the UW game to put us up 10 (approx.).
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

My son Demian did a great job talking about my favorite player Adam Morrison so I'll go to my next favorite, Steph Gray. To me this guy stood for everything that a Zag is. When I think of toughness, and a player who is a warrior, I think of Steven Gray. I'll never forget the image I have of him running up court after a made basket with his braids flying behind him and the deep cut on his left cheek. My image of toughness. And what has irritated me the most throughout the years is analysts who have criticized Zag players over the year for NOT being tough. Shows how little those analysts really know. I think one of the most enjoyable things for me in the sport of basketball is seeing and proving the analysts and announcers wrong. And this year, this team has done that the best. Thank you Gonzaga!

Go Zags!!!
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Ikancagin
            Bulldog Fan
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
            My son Demian did a great job talking about my favorite player Adam Morrison so I'll go to my next favorite, Steph Gray. To me this guy stood for everything that a Zag is. When I think of toughness, and a player who is a warrior, I think of Steven Gray. I'll never forget the image I have of him running up court after a made basket with his braids flying behind him and the deep cut on his left cheek. My image of toughness. And what has irritated me the most throughout the years is analysts who have criticized Zag players over the year for NOT being tough. Shows how little those analysts really know. I think one of the most enjoyable things for me in the sport of basketball is seeing and proving the analysts and announcers wrong. And this year, this team has done that the best. Thank you Gonzaga!

Go Zags!!!
            I remember him shutting down Clay Thompson in a duel, and after a particularly tough play, Thompson went to the floor and Gray straddling over him and looking down at him, said "not in my house".

Comment

• Alum08
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2014

I'd like to give a shout-out to Jeremy Pargo. A lot of Zags fans weren't sure if a combo guard from Chicago would be able to fit into our system. Not only did he excel at GU and became an NBA-caliber PG, he has been a great ambassador for GU at home and abroad. He always played with a cool fire. I never saw him get into any trouble on campus so he was either wise enough to keep his nose clean or wise enough to never get caught. I have also seen him at several recent east coast games where we've only had a couple hundred fans in attendance and he would always bring along some of his NBA buddies to share a piece of the GU experience with them. It should also be noted that he was by far the best dunker in GU history (sorry Ira), and he has possibly the most memorable dunk in Euroleague history. All-around nice guy and a definitive Zag in my book.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Maybe I'm going too far back, but everyone who put on a Zag uniform is part of the brotherhood. My years at GU included players such as Reed Schifferman, Ken Tyler, Greg Sten, Stew Morrill, Willie Moss, Carl Minns, to name several. Also wanted to give a shout out to Joe Clayton, who played a wicked sociology experiment on several buddies and me in the Bookstore.

It was similar to the language used in Blazing Saddles.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

JP Batista.

Stepp a close second.

Jeremy Pargo is without a doubt the best story. Some posters felt he didn't belong at GU because of his academic issues, but the coaches and GU admin saw a work ethic and a kid who just wanted to get off the streets of Chicago with all the gangs and murders. He delivered despite even one poster calling him a "punk."

I am glad that poster doesn't post here anymore.

Guys like Stepp and Knight whose careers were severely challenged due to injuries also hold a special spot in my heart.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                    JP Batista.

Stepp a close second.

Jeremy Pargo is without a doubt the best story. Some posters felt he didn't belong at GU because of his academic issues, but the coaches and GU admin saw a work ethic and a kid who just wanted to get off the streets of Chicago with all the gangs and murders. He delivered despite even one poster calling him a "punk."

I am glad that poster doesn't post here anymore.

Guys like Stepp and Knight whose careers were severely challenged due to injuries also hold a special spot in my heart.
                    Jeremy graduated, didn't he? That's all one needs to know. He represented GU well during his four years here.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Jeremy did graduate. As did his brother Jannero from Arkansas (although he had to go the JC route first). His mother did an incredible job raising them in circumstances that most of us will never see. I will never forget the stories of Few checking in on him regularly because he so concerned about his ability to adjust to surroundings that were so foreign to him. However, one of the early stories that I heard is that within hours of arriving at GU as a freshman, he was playing football with a bunch of regular students outside his dorm. The guy has and still has an affable personality. And he also managed to produce one of the greatest quotes in GU history....a standard that Hondo and I still live by: "You can't go wrong with a cheeseburger. You always know what you're getting with a cheeseburger."

I wish that more news channels and papers spent more time highlighting stories like the Pargo family, but it doesn't sell. But that's another discussion that doesn't belong on this board but that I think most of us would agree with.

Comment

• Bogozags
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2008

I am bad with names but am sure several of you will know of whom I reference...I believe the Zag that most put GU on the map was the GU President that approved the hiring of Mark Few as GU's Head Men's Basketball Coach after Coach Monson moved on to University of Minnesota.

Many may disagree because he isn't a "player" but I think this was the most important decision in the history of GU's Men's Baskeball history.

With regards to a specific player, I chose Casey as the most influential player that carried the program forward to where it is today...all his hard work and enthusiasm and being in the right place at the right time made him a shinning example of what a Zag is!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                          I am bad with names but am sure several of you will know of whom I reference...I believe the Zag that most put GU on the map was the GU President that approved the hiring of Mark Few as GU's Head Men's Basketball Coach after Coach Monson moved on to University of Minnesota.

Many may disagree because he isn't a "player" but I think this was the most important decision in the history of GU's Men's Baskeball history.

With regards to a specific player, I chose Casey as the most influential player that carried the program forward to where it is today...all his hard work and enthusiasm and being in the right place at the right time made him a shinning example of what a Zag is!
                          I'm sure you're referring to Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J., GU '74. Fr. Bob is one of the most dynamic and compelling public speakers I have ever heard. His book, "Healing the Culture" isn't light reading, but it's a heckuva book.

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

Thank you for assisting an "old" man with memory issues - CRS seems to be taking over my mind .... lol

Comment

• Alum08
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                              I'm sure you're referring to Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J., GU '74. Fr. Bob is one of the most dynamic and compelling public speakers I have ever heard. His book, "Healing the Culture" isn't light reading, but it's a heckuva book.
                              "Here, let me tell you why string theory proves the existence of God..."

I don't want to get into the formality of the argument, but would like to point out that it takes an active and compelling mind to meld and digest those topics for discourse.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                                Thank you for assisting an "old" man with memory issues - CRS seems to be taking over my mind .... lol
                                You're welcome...what the heck is "CRS"?

I'll bet the S is for "syndrome".

Comment

Working...
                                X