Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In recognition of past players.

I could easily name a dozen but I'm going with Elias Harris. One of our all time greats and was so kind to kids (my little boy in particular on a couple of occasions). A great one.

Because he hasn't been named: Heytfelt. Freak athlete and redemption story, also a very decent human being. Heytvelt > Hansbrough at the Garden....'nuff said. Great profile-raiser for us in the east.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Rob Sacre. Big dude, biggest personality.

What I remember clearest about his on-court time was his Mano-a-mano duel with Delly during the 2012 WCC tourney. It gave me goosebumps watching it as it was happening, and still does.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Since most of my favorites have been mentioned (Adam, Knight, Frahm, and Pargo come to mind), I'll pick Gary Bell Jr.

Sweet jumper, awesome D, and one of the nicest persons you'll ever meet.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

I've always loved the Eastern Washington guys who helped the community feel a real bond with the Zags

Jeff Brown
    Ryan Floyd
    Jeremy Eaton
    Adam Morrison
    Sean Mallon
    David Pendergraft
    David Stockton

The bond of bigger cities, international flavor and some home cooking is a great mix.

As the program has grown bigger, these guys have kept the heart of Spokane and the Inland Empire with the program.

Can't forget the pride of Bonney Lake -- big Will Foster!

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Can't forget the pride of Bonney Lake -- big Will Foster!

The guy stuck it out and gave it his all. The block against Samham was epic.

I don't post often, but I spend many hours reading these threads. My choice is not so much for the playing career of a Zag, but for the posting career of a Zag. Reborn, I'm talking about you. I hope you somehow can make it to Glendale.
    Last edited by JPW314159; 03-28-2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: duh...Reborn, not Reunion

I will nominate the kid that lead my former high school to its only state basketball championship in over 50 years & showed great determination in his GU career - former walk-on Kyle Bankhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Prez View Post
    I will nominate the kid that lead my former high school to its only state basketball championship in over 50 years & showed great determination in his GU career - former walk-on Kyle Bankhead.
    Was that WW " WA HIGH"?

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Because he hasn't been named: Heytfelt. Freak athlete and redemption story, also a very decent human being. Heytvelt > Hansbrough at the Garden....'nuff said. Great profile-raiser for us in the east.
    What a night......made Hansbrough look like a big no body....

Sabonis. One of the best bigs we've had in the 19 year streak of attending the Big Dance. He was such a key part in keeping it going in 2016.

And he was such a bad-ass. Really fun to watch
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

The player that put Gonzaga on the map....John Stockton is my pick.

I loved so many of them this is a hard proposition to pick one. Arguably Adam Morrison elevated Gonzaga to a level of national attention with his high powered offense and "The Stache". Highest scorer in the nation as I recall at what, 28+ per game? Just explosive.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Bankhead was truly special because that 2003/04 team got to, what, #2 in the nation at some point?? To have a friggin' walk on as your starting off guard is incredible to think about. I will never forget a clutch three that he hit at Portland that sealed a win that was dangerously close to a loss.

It was impossible not to like Pendo. He was one of Billy Raff's favorite players. He once called him "the red head that wears overalls on the court." BTW - he was at the game on Saturday. He sticks out quite easily. Not a lot of 6-6 pure red heads around.

Matt Bouldin - he is my all-time favorite Zag, was a great combo guard, and was so cool under pressure.

I could be wrong because I scrolled through the posts pretty quickly, but if I'm right...4 pages without reference to one of the greats: Kevin Pangos !!! Ran the team that Got zags back to the E8. One of the nicest guys ever. And responsible for a great quote: 'shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot'

The one and only Bol Kong. Legends never die!
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

How about Richard Fox? Big man transfer who stayed close to the program, bleeds GU blue and helps us enjoy many games as sidekick to Greg Heister and Dan Dickau.

Heister takes a lot of crap but, I for one, would love to hear those guys call the FF. Be fun to reminisce about some of our favorite Heister, Dickau, Fox broadcast moments while we are at it.

ZZ

I've got to give a shout out to Stephen Gentry a former pine riding walk-on from Ft Scott Kansas who set the standard for how to dribble out the clock to end the game. Stephen is now an assistant coach and at last report was still at Oklahoma St. I'm not sure if he will be let go, move on with Underwood or stay with Boynton.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Erroll Knight was my all time fav (gotta love the yankin the chair move), but Pendo and Micah need some luv too.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Love them all specially the hard hat guys, Neilson. Spink, Pendo & Hart...and David Stockton too...Stepp and Bouldin..big faves and of course Jazz'z fave DD...

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZionZag View Post
    Was that WW " WA HIGH"?
    Yes I matriculated at Walla Walla High School many moons prior to Kyle. I was the team manager in Jim Thacker's first year as coach and he also coached Bankhead. Would love to see Kyle come back to the coaching staff some day.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    My favorite Zag of this era is Blake Stepp. Just loved watching him drain 3's from way deep, loved his toughness and his talent. He had great size for a guard and great talent, but his heart and toughness are what made him a special player and my all time favorite Zag. He's a former player in particular whom I hope can go to the Final Four in person and root these guys on to victory. Wonder if a bunch of former players will be in attendance. Hope so.
    I named a son after Blake, which I figure is a decent compliment. Loved the guy.

JP Batista. Averaged a double double and is still my favorite player to this day. But most importantly he is a kind human being.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    I could be wrong because I scrolled through the posts pretty quickly, but if I'm right...4 pages without reference to one of the greats: Kevin Pangos !!! Ran the team that Got zags back to the E8. One of the nicest guys ever. And responsible for a great quote: 'shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot'
    KP is toiling away for Zalgris right now (if getting paid handsomely for doing something you love is toiling...) but I'm sure he is keeping track of the Zags from afar.