X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NumberCruncher
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2013

The first time I saw the Zags on TV was back in the 90s, and I was most impressed by John Rillie.

Recently, team Kyle (Wiltjer and Dranginis) stand out for me.

Comment

• FroZAG
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2012

I've got to pick 3.

1) Eric McClellan
      Sabonis and Wiltjer were who they were, and fantastic. But FOR SURE we would have lost the ncaa tourney streak if it were not for the play of one Eric McClellan down the stretch of the last 6 or 7 games. Especially the WCC tournament. Without the clutch play of Emac we are talking about a New streak. Took over games in stretches, hit clutch jumpers, timely needed buckets, free throws.....Won games for us.
      Also I'll add, every player grows up during their playing years. And following the progression of Emac from early college all the way to where he is....has been my favorite of any GU player or college athlete.

2) I purchased an English Bulldog pup and wanted to name him Pargo. But he would Not answer to me calling him Pargo. So days later with the same result, I resorted to calling out names of current (at the time) Zags players.... as soon as I called Edi! his ears perked up and he came running right over! My pup essentially named himself, Edi.

Guy Landry Edi - International multi-sport star.

3) Mike Nilson
      One of the best defensive players in GU history. Was one of the building blocks of the GU DNA. And led our mid-90's NBC Camp tour team to a 27-1 overall record while setting a great example for the younger guys.

Comment

• rennis
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by FroZAG View Post
        I

3) Mike Nilson
        One of the best defensive players in GU history. Was one of the building blocks of the GU DNA. And led our mid-90's NBC Camp tour team to a 27-1 overall record while setting a great example for the younger guys.
        And a huge Pearl Jam fan which makes him one of the most important players ever in the history of GU just on that fact alone.
        Originally posted by Coach Few
        We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Lurknomore
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Can't forget Wiltjer, came here and sat out that year and really helped the two years he was here. Loved watching him shoot the three and teaming with Sabonis last year. Represents GU well in the NBA.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

This may be in here somewhere already -- but making sure.

NBA's Gonzaga alumni react to Final Four berth on social media

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Byron Wesley
              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by NumberCruncher View Post
                  The first time I saw the Zags on TV was back in the 90s, and I was most impressed by John Rillie.

John Rillie, the "Mad Bomber" from Australia. That kid could knock down treys at night with the lights off!
                  "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                  —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• bigblahla
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NumberCruncher View Post

Can't believe I didn't include Rillie....GU has been part of my life since 68-69, high school rock band played at dorms and in old COG...I didn't become a real Zag fan until Rillie shot the Zags through the WCC tournament and into the Dance..
                    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• T-bonedazag
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Jan 2008

Cool article from The Spokesman about past players and their memories of the tournament:
                      Memory lane is bumper-to-bumper with anecdotes and tales when four ex-Zags and former assistant coach Billy Grier recalled their NCAA Tournament memories on and off the court.
                      “I enjoy coming in and being hated."
                      -Matt Bouldin

Heytvelt on how badly GU needed a win: “Like a kid needs his two front teeth for Christmas.”

Comment

• titopoet
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2008

I am surprised that no one has mentioned him yet, and has to be one of the most transformational players in GU's program. Three of the current players named him and his story as to why they came (Nigel, J3 and Collins).

The transformation by Travis Knight of a role player into an All American and NBA lotto pick, Kelly "The Clinic' Olynyk has to be on any list of GU greats who paved the path to the FF and beyond.

The program is now known in BB circle for their player development and his story is front and center.
                        ----
                        Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

Working...
                        X