Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big payday for the WCC

Default Big payday for the WCC

Zags max out with 5 units, SMC adds two. WCC picks up $11 million spread over the next six years.

That's serious coin!
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

I'll update my spreadsheet at work on Monday. Each team in the WCC may be getting $400K a year for the next four years, after our contributions over the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Zags max out with 5 units, SMC adds two. WCC picks up $11 million spread over the next six years.
    What happens when a team maxes out? That team cannot earn any more for their conference? For how long a period?

Quote Originally Posted by WBM View Post
    What happens when a team maxes out? That team cannot earn any more for their conference? For how long a period?
    A team can earn 5 units in the tournament. No units are awarded for the title game.

Over the past 3 years, Zags have earned 12 units, 4 in 2015, 3 in 2016, and 5 in 2017. At roughly $1.6MM per unit (spread over 6 years), that's nearly $20 MM.

Like I said, I'll update my spreadsheet on Monday, and give my estimated breakouts for the next several years.

St Marys hopefully will invest in a new building. I would be happy for them.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    That's serious coin!
    Our league is going to have some amazing water polo teams...

Buddy, we are almost at the $13.6m needed for our gym renovation project.

Texas, what happens when you get to the championship game? Surely there must be some money for you at the very least?

Quote Originally Posted by MBAGael View Post

Texas, what happens when you get to the championship game? Surely there must be some money for you at the very least?
    Hope it happens for you guys. Your excellent program deserves it. And thanks to your guys for challenging us so much since Randy took over. It's made both teams better.

Very glad to hear that - you deserve it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

From an article I read, and will post the link to on Monday, I recall that no units are given for the title game.

Here's the article from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...sketball-fund/

The article is two years old, but little has changed regarding the WCC, as we well know.

The following is my estimate of the payouts:

2016: (2011-2016) - $6.4 Million
    2017: (2012-2017) - $5.9 Million
    2018: (2013-2018) - $7.2 Million

Calculations based on payouts year following the tournament. For example, the 2016 payouts were based on units for the 2010 tournament, when SMC went to the S16:

Units earned by school, respectively (GU, BYU, SMC):

2010: 2-0-3
    2011: 2-0-0
    2012: 2-2-1
    2013: 2-0-2
    2014: 2-1-0
    2015: 4-1-0
    2016: 3-0-0
    2017: 5-0-2

Total: 22-4-8

ETA: Units are not awarded for the championship game.

I feel like we should have a similar system on the forum.

If a poster posts real good stuff 'x' amount of times in one week (or month, or season or whatever), they should earn monies or something.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    I feel like we should have a similar system on the forum.

If a poster posts real good stuff 'x' amount of times in one week (or month, or season or whatever), they should earn monies or something.
    I must be maxed out, even if no-one agrees! Do you need a mailing address?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

GU be all, 'here WCC, have some cash.'

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I must be maxed out, even if no-one agrees! Do you need a mailing address?
    I need to give mine too. Someone owes me AT LEAST $7.50.

Whoohoo-- didn't they give you a free trip to Vegas this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Whoohoo-- didn't they give you a free trip to Vegas this year?
    That's a great point. Let's just say I'm owed $3.19. Not $7.50.

Sorry, Mr. Gael. That gym needs more than a "renovation." Adding a few seats and updating the paint job is not going to make that place any more appealing for high mid-majors or power five conference teams. St. Mary's needs to make a real investment and build a new place.

I have enjoyed attending games there as it is an electrifying place to watch college basketball. Unfortunately, scheduling won't improve without a significant upgrade. Like bulldozing that place and starting over.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    That's a great point. Let's just say I'm owed $3.19. Not $7.50.

Check's in the mail, woohoo!

Mark, the upgrade has much more to do with the workout facility than the gym. Right now, our athletes are working out in a tent which is on a recently filled up swimming pool.

Also, there is no way to bulldoze our current gym. The costs in our area and permits make it just about impossible. Do you really think p5 teams will start playing us at our place if we have a brand new gym? Please explain how that works because I am curious.

If the pansies who schedule for you would commit to home and homes, with a new gym, yeah, power teams would then come in. Right now SMC is hamstringing themselves in getting recruits with the pathetic gym, facilities, and scheduling.

That is an interesting point regarding the overly political and environmental regulations on getting something done though. I never considered that before.

I'll bet this week prior to Saturday's game will be the best week for the sales of Zag gear .... for at least this year. I know I'll be headed down to our local GU bookstore. I have no idea what sort of agreement GU has with Nike or other sporting goods outfits - nor do I know any NCAA rules involving that sort of stuff. But, I would guess those sorts of deals are now worth more $. GU may be spreading a bit of cash around the WCC but, IMHO, that helps everyone including GU. It would be interesting to see how SMC's enrollment has changed over the past 3-4 years as they've become better in D1 basketball. Sooner or later they'll have to build a larger gym and/or start having some home games at a larger facility nearby. GU's been on a steady rise since 99-ish. That's almost 20 years. Plus, Spokane is a unique fit for the Zags. We can't really expect another WCC team to match what GU has done - not even very close I'd guess. What GU has done is a sum of a lot of factors.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Mark, the upgrade has much more to do with the workout facility than the gym. Right now, our athletes are working out in a tent which is on a recently filled up swimming pool.

Also, there is no way to bulldoze our current gym. The costs in our area and permits make it just about impossible. Do you really think p5 teams will start playing us at our place if we have a brand new gym? Please explain how that works because I am curious.
    Seating capacity is one of the main obstacles. UCLA won't play a home and home with the Gaels because it wouldn't be profitable. Monetarily or otherwise. They don't want to lose money AND possibly get beaten by a team that doesn't help their resume. High mid-majors would be OK with a potential win or loss against a team if they were convinced that the trip would be profitable monetarily. That would only be possible with more seating capacity.

Gonzaga made the commitment to an enlarged arena. That's why high major teams are playing in the Kennel. Not to mention, a loss against a perennial top 15 team doesn't hurt their resume and a win there is seen as BIG.

Hey guys, MBA is a good poster. He & other's have their frustrations too. What say we cut him/them some slack.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.