Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shout out to the TV announcers

Default Shout out to the TV announcers

I mentioned this earlier, but I think Chris Webber is actually pretty good at this gig. He's not great, but he's a heck of a lot better than most color analysts I have encountered this season. He will only get better. Felt the play by play man was decent as well.

What do you all think??

Better than hearing Lappas yapping and yapping and yapping.

Two thumbs up, it's fun to hear hoops knowledge instead of jagged opinions all game. What a game to call, they clearly enjoyed it themselves which was a plus!

Agreed. Usually I can't stand Webber as an announcer but he was good tonight. The commentator Brian Anderson (I think that's his name) was good, he didn't have a stupid schtick like a lot of guys, he just called the game. Webber is really improving.

It's 1245 I got one eye open but this has to be a joke right? Webber was AWFUL! Biased.. kept bringing up the WCC being terrible, few not going to
    Final four and thought every call should go WVU way. He was on par w Walton. I can't actuallly believe I am reading someone actually liked him.

I thought there was too much overpraising of WVU for the 1st 3/4 of the game. That started to even out late in the contest. Webber is okay, but was a bit clueless on the OB call with 1:59 left in the game. He couldn't grasp that the reason the officials were taking so long had nothing to do with Adrian touching the ball or not; that part of the play was obvious. It was the clock issue that was dictating how they made their decision. In a high intensity game like this one, at least the announcers had the sense not to try to sensationalize it. The 10 athletes on the floor took care of that!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

No way the announcers who got the east coast gigs would have called the game like that (Raftery, etc.). I thought they were awful and WVU-centric.

They were ok, but annoying at times like in the 2nd half when Webber went ballistic about a WVU block when JWIII was going for a dunk where the replay clearly showed a ton of body contact.

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    They were ok, but annoying at times like in the 2nd half when Webber went ballistic about a WVU block when JWIII was going for a dunk where the replay clearly showed a ton of body contact.
    Totally agree with this comment as I had exactly the same thought. Clearly JWIII was fouled on that play and they never mentioned that once.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    It's 1245 I got one eye open but this has to be a joke right? Webber was AWFUL! Biased.. kept bringing up the WCC being terrible, few not going to
    Final four and thought every call should go WVU way. He was on par w Walton. I can't actuallly believe I am reading someone actually liked him.
    I'm in your camp. Webber was too much like Adrian Branch, he wouldn't shut up and his analysis didn't contribute that much. It was like he was jacking up 3's and missing all night.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Webber was atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    Webber was atrocious.

IMO, Chris Webber has never been a student of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    IMO, Chris Webber has never been a student of the game.
    Or a student for that matter. Could you imagine if Gus Johnson had been on the play-by-play?!! We would have another all-timer:

"Adrian goes up--BLOCKED BY PERKINS! Williams taking up the court, fires a pass, MATHEWS.....WITH THE JUUUUUUUUUMMMMPPER....GOT IT! GON-ZA-GA! TAKES THE LEAD! MATHEWS....GETTING HIS MUG ON NOW!
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

My son kept freaking out on Webber and how biased he was. Play by Play was pretty good. I found Webber tolerable when he was being fair... but I am with my son, he spent a bunch of time saying how much better WV was defensively... nevermind the Zags are #1 in adjusted D in the country.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It's interesting that everyone has their own opinions on what great announcers are. It makes threads like this kind of pointless, because the opinions are all over the board.

That said, my opinion is that they were very WVU centric for most of the game, but when the announcers are like that, it means a lot of people are like that, and it makes the win that much sweeter. But overall, I thought they did a decent job. If people are never happy with announcers, then, make some change, get yourself in there and get a job doing just that to make it better!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    My son kept freaking out on Webber and how biased he was. Play by Play was pretty good. I found Webber tolerable when he was being fair... but I am with my son, he spent a bunch of time saying how much better WV was defensively... nevermind the Zags are #1 in adjusted D in the country.
    Hey, did you get to see the game or were you out all night for your daughters 21st?

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I thought there was too much overpraising of WVU for the 1st 3/4 of the game. That started to even out late in the contest. Webber is okay, but was a bit clueless on the OB call with 1:59 left in the game. He couldn't grasp that the reason the officials were taking so long had nothing to do with Adrian touching the ball or not; that part of the play was obvious. It was the clock issue that was dictating how they made their decision. In a high intensity game like this one, at least the announcers had the sense not to try to sensationalize it. The 10 athletes on the floor took care of that!
    This!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    It's interesting that everyone has their own opinions on what great announcers are. It makes threads like this kind of pointless, because the opinions are all over the board.

That said, my opinion is that they were very WVU centric for most of the game, but when the announcers are like that, it means a lot of people are like that, and it makes the win that much sweeter. But overall, I thought they did a decent job. If people are never happy with announcers, then, make some change, get yourself in there and get a job doing just that to make it better!

Hey, did you get to see the game or were you out all night for your daughters 21st?
    DVR... finished dinner around 8:15... wife drive my daughter back to school... my son and I bolted back home and fired up the DVR... ended up about 25 minutes behind by the end.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    Webber was atrocious.

They both were...

Re Webber
    He will only get better.
    That's for sure, no where to go but up.

The real pros, Raftery for instance, don't feel compelled to be constantly yammering. I wasn't really affected by any seeming team bias, it was the constant vocal assault of Webber that I didn't like. I feel the same about any analyst that does this.
    Birddog

I miss Gus.
    Love the zags for life

Just in the interest of fairness, Webber referred very positively a couple of times to the interview he had with Karno. He inferred that Karno is a really humorous guy. Was this interview recorded anywhere?
    Birddog

For the life of me, I can't really figure out the anti Webber sentiment.

He is in fact fair. Someone mentioned that he said something about our weak conference, etcetera. CONTEXT people. He was parroting the criticism of Gonzaga in order to throw water on it.

I find him to be insightful, knowledgeable and most of all enthusiastic about the game. The enthusiasm comes across as genuine, and for the game of basketball and all the players.

Some complain that he was praising the WVU press too much. Would anyone disagree that it was the story of the game as the game was unfolding? Is he supposed to ignore what's in front of his eyes and talk about something else?

Anyway, I enjoy Webber as a commentator and we have certainly done way, way worse (Lappas, exhibit A).

One last comment on the Williams dunk. In live action, I also thought it was a foul on the WVU defender. But, in replay you can clearly see that the defender jumped straight up with both hands. We all know (or at least should know) that the defender is entitled to the vertical space above him.. Few refers to it frequently in how Shem, Collins and Williams defend. With this in mind, you can see significant contact between Williams and the defender in the forearm area, but to call this a foul ignores two important elements. 1 - The defender was vertical and did not initiate the contact, the contact came as Williams tried to power through and dunk the ball. 2 - The first contact between Williams and the defender was between both of the defenders hands and the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    No way the announcers who got the east coast gigs would have called the game like that (Raftery, etc.). I thought they were awful and WVU-centric.
    Yes. Hated them. Talked incessantly about WVU, and almost nothing about Zags.

I was mostly annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Yes. Hated them. Talked incessantly about WVU, and almost nothing about Zags.
    I hated them too. Gonzaga was up almost all of the first half and all they were referencing was how unbelievable WV was. It was weird. The ex-player that I enjoy listening to is Reggie Miller. Wish he was calling our games.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    For the life of me, I can't really figure out the anti Webber sentiment.

He is in fact fair. Someone mentioned that he said something about our weak conference, etcetera. CONTEXT people. He was parroting the criticism of Gonzaga in order to throw water on it.

I find him to be insightful, knowledgeable and most of all enthusiastic about the game. The enthusiasm comes across as genuine, and for the game of basketball and all the players.

Some complain that he was praising the WVU press too much. Would anyone disagree that it was the story of the game as the game was unfolding? Is he supposed to ignore what's in front of his eyes and talk about something else?

Anyway, I enjoy Webber as a commentator and we have certainly done way, way worse (Lappas, exhibit A).

One last comment on the Williams dunk. In live action, I also thought it was a foul on the WVU defender. But, in replay you can clearly see that the defender jumped straight up with both hands. We all know (or at least should know) that the defender is entitled to the vertical space above him.. Few refers to it frequently in how Shem, Collins and Williams defend. With this in mind, you can see significant contact between Williams and the defender in the forearm area, but to call this a foul ignores two important elements. 1 - The defender was vertical and did not initiate the contact, the contact came as Williams tried to power through and dunk the ball. 2 - The first contact between Williams and the defender was between both of the defenders hands and the ball.
    Agreed on all points. Webber wasn't that bad. The game was as SVP put it: "a rock fight". Webber called it as he saw it. The awful part of this game was the refs. Zero consistency. No flow. We'd get called for a proximity foul and it seemed like WV could get away with 2nd degree assault. We'd get the instant whistle and it seemed like forever for the calls against them if there was one. Webber and the other guy didn't have a lot to work with. The game was FUGLY.