Thread: Does the WCC do a better job prepping teams for the tourney than ACC?

Default Does the WCC do a better job prepping teams for the tourney than ACC?

ACC has a grand total of 1 team in the sweet sixteen (very close to being zero) after getting 9 teams in and many getting very favorable seeds as well. I bring it up only to show that this argument is silly.
    I hear this line of thinking constantly and many here use it as an excuse as well but the reality is I don't think it hurts the Zags to play in the WCC but I would say they don't get the respect they deserve for beating the likes of SMC and BYU.

Agreed. You're either good or you're not. Calipari didn't deal with the same nonsense from the media with Memphis, for example. Or Tarkanian.

Again, all of it goes away with a final four.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Yes. WCC prepares better. ACC was not prepared playing against weak defenses all year
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Once again the ACC is overrated. Wish Bilas and Williams would admit they were total homers.

No, we just happen to have overall better talent than anybody in the WCC

The ACC was brutal this year. Maybe they beat themselves up so much that there was nothing left in the tank for the NCAA tournament. Not saying I agree, but some might respond that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The ACC was brutal this year. Maybe they beat themselves up so much that there was nothing left in the tank for the NCAA tournament. Not saying I agree, but some might respond that way.
    That's the only arrow left in the quiver, CDC. Wouldn't surprise me if the ACC's results next year are similar to the Pac 12 this year. That's why they call it March Madness.

The Pac 12 is one questionable call (goaltending against USC) from having 4 teams in the Sweet 16. A great year for basketball for people who live West of the Rockies.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

judging conferences on the randomness of single elimination games is just stupid

After years of GU playing to their potential in most of the NCAA...the idea of a conference "preparing" a team more than another has little to no significance to me. The only benefit of playing in a more highly regarded conference is the increased likelihood of securing an at-large

ACC being example 1of that
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzag92 View Post
    judging conferences on the randomness of single elimination games is just stupid
    I totally agree. Not only that, one weekend in one tournament is simply too small a sample size to have any real validity. What this year's tournament demonstrates to me is that anyone can lose on any given day. Stats, etc. are great for analyzing teams' strengths and weaknesses, but they aren't the only factors that contribute to the results. There are just too many intangibles that can influence events on the floor (as we all saw this past weekend).

No

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    No
    I think this is an interesting thread meant to poke fun at those who think the big name leagues better prepare teams for the tourney (or say WCC doesn't prepare us). I would like to hear why you think it doesn't. If you think it doesn't, do you possibly think that more teams get into the tourney from "power conferences" than they should? Is that maybe the reason for a "power conferences" lack of success in the tourney?

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    I think this is an interesting thread meant to poke fun at those who think the big name leagues better prepare teams for the tourney (or say WCC doesn't prepare us). I would like to hear why you think it doesn't. If you think it doesn't, do you possibly think that more teams get into the tourney from "power conferences" than they should? Is that maybe the reason for a "power conferences" lack of success in the tourney?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    no
    Great! Thanks for enlightening us all and bringing value to the board.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    Great! Thanks for enlightening us all and bringing value to the board.
    Your welcome, Nietzsche explained all this centuries ago...

In the WCC, the Zags have to deal with physically overmatched teams that resort to grabbing, hacking and shooting 3's to try to level the playing field. In the 1st couple of rounds of the tourney, top seeds have to deal with physically overmatched teams that resort to grabbing, hacking and shooting 3's to try to level the playing field. So you might say that the WCC prepares the Zags well for getting to the Sweet Sixteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Once again the ACC is overrated. Wish Bilas and Williams would admit they were total homers.
    And hosers, eh?
    It's not funny.

This doesn't prove anything...you could play the same 32 games over and get a completely different result....

It is intuitively obvious that intense competition will have a tendency of making a team better (Nietzsche), but to prove that with any certitude would be very expensive and time consuming ....

A quick and dirty analysis of the past 30 years (or whenever the tourney went to 64 teams) would probably show that the ACC has won a higher % of games than the WCC and has advanced a higher number of teams or % of teams to the Elite Eight or whatever level you define as success..

That doesn't mean that a Butler or a Wichita State that had little competition cannot reach the FF or the NC game...