Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Shem, JWIII and Perk rode the bench for the last seven minutes of the game

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Since the BYU game at home, we've played 3 good halves total, all of them first halves. The second halves have been some of the worst basketball of the year.

Believe me, I didn't expect you to agree. You've been right there to counter even the most mild criticism from everyone, with glowing reports that seem to ignore the floor. That's fine. I'm quite glad you're not coaching, either.

I'll take the coach who put in the best line-up at the end of the last game and do nothing but extrapolate forward. Why are you dissing' coach?. I genuinely think it might well help those guys to watch the game play out a bit and then come off the bench.

If you want to continue with what we've been doing "that got us here" - that's fine, but it's been months since what got us here got us our best basketball.
    I'm glad NONE of us are coaching, if the truth be told. Only a guy like Negan would change up the starting five on a 34-1 team.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'm glad NONE of us are coaching, if the truth be told. Only a guy like Negan would change up the starting five on a 34-1 team.
    we have a lottery player on the bench.....could go to final four......use him or lose him and potentially a deeper run.

Zach has averaged 22 min a game in NCAA.....image what 32min could do

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    we have a lottery player on the bench.....could go to final four......use him or lose him and potentially a deeper run.

More fouls leaving him on bench during critical times...he has shown propensity to pick up quick fouls at times
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Don't bother Cee.. they are batten down in their anti Collins POV. Imagine what 32 min a game all season would have produced? Same record and a far better team, and I'm not even talking Tillie.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Don't bother Cee.. they are batten down in their anti Collins POV.
    Precisely the opposite. Keeping him viable for critical time periods is part of the whole game management of pieces of the puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    More fouls leaving him on bench during critical times...he has shown propensity to pick up quick fouls at times
    his job is to add energy....no thoughts about saving fouls when you only play 21 min a game.....watch last post game presser....he describes it

his job is to add energy....no thoughts about saving fouls when you only play 21 min a game.....watch last post game presser....he describes it
    Agree. Disagreeing with those calling for him to start or to get 32 minutes a game

I love Collins but it feels like some posters are using the old "Few" quick trigger that many on this board have derided over the years. Three games ago Shem was a beast against SMC. One game ago J3 was a stud locking down Daum. Tillie is great as an energy guy but our starting lineup is an effective group and if it's not then the coaches have great options on the bench. Way change things now because of one mediocre half? To cite some sort of conspiracy that the coaches are trying to hide Collins seems a bit silly since his metrics are published after every game and scouts have been at games all season watching him. How many games has he been in foul trouble or not shown well? Shem playing poorly is an anomaly and not the norm.

Just curious. Josh Perkins traditionally has a sweet looking shooting form. About 7 games ago it looked like he is falling back as he releases the ball, unlike his usual form. Has anyone else perceived this?

I'm jumping on the Collins train. But he's gotta stop those dumb fouls. Wouldn't start him but I'd have him play a lot more mins. Pen 27-30
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Agree. Disagreeing with those calling for him to start or to get 32 minutes a game
    believe the possibility of 1/3 more productivity is not worth the balance of power?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I'm jumping on the Collins train. But he's gotta stop those dumb fouls. Wouldn't start him but I'd have him play a lot more mins. Pen 27-30
    his directive has been to inject energy.....not conserve fouls...he only plays 21min

Quote Originally Posted by B Wayne View Post
    Just curious. Josh Perkins traditionally has a sweet looking shooting form. About 7 games ago it looked like he is falling back as he releases the ball, unlike his usual form. Has anyone else perceived this?
    You might be on to something.

He always used a high leg kick, but his release was straight, as you note. Maybe he's leaning to far back into it to get more of a kick into it.

It's worth asking the BB people around. If that's what it is, hope the coaches have picked it up and have him in some drills this week. If his shooting returns, we're suddenly a whole different team.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

It seems that Few understands that Shem starts games with his best energy and effectiveness. Probably why we gain early leads to a great extent. Shem gets a tad tired then opponents begin to pound on and frustrate him. That moment is the perfect time to change up to Collins IMO. When Shem has it going play him as long as possible, he is a force to recon with. Collins can keep up with those 6'9 studs better so match ups absolutely do matter.
    300 pound men need more blows, plain & simple. Our big combo is elite.
    What we need is better shooting and offense from guards other than Nigel. At times opponents just ignor Perks because they don't feel threatened by him and double Nigel.
    My 2 cents.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    .......What we need is better shooting and offense from guards other than Nigel. At times opponents just ignor Perks because they don't feel threatened by him and double Nigel.
    My 2 cents.
    Agreed. I feel to get to F4 we need points by Perkins & Melson - along with the rest of the gang of 8. That'd take some heat of NWG. Even Alberts in a bit could mix things up (??).

It seems that Few understands that Shem starts games with his best energy and effectiveness. Probably why we gain early leads to a great extent. Shem gets a tad tired then opponents begin to pound on and frustrate him. That moment is the perfect time to change up to Collins IMO. When Shem has it going play him as long as possible, he is a force to recon with. Collins can keep up with those 6'9 studs better so match ups absolutely do matter.
    What we need is better shooting and offense from guards other than Nigel. At times opponents just ignor Perks because they don't feel threatened by him and double Nigel.
    My 2 cents.
    Interesting that as much criticism Shem has gotten recently, ESPN picks The Mountain as the primary reason Zag's should beat WV and advance. Our front court team of Shemmick, Collins and Tillie are the difference makers assuming our guards handle WV's pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Interesting that as much criticism Shem has gotten recently, ESPN picks The Mountain as the primary reason Zag's should beat WV and advance. Our front court team of Shemmick, Collins and Tillie are the difference makers assuming our guards handle WV's pressure.
    Where would we be without Shem last night...? Respect the Man, will goes down as one of the best Zags Ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    Where would we be without Shem last night...? Respect the Man, will goes down as one of the best Zags Ever!!!
    We'd be on the plane flying back to Spokane, that's where we'd be! We lose the game without him. That falling down in traffic bucket was big. So was that 19 foot jumper near the top of the key. So was, as always, just his mere presence. He's The Mountain, The Presence, The Man!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    We'd be on the plane flying back to Spokane, that's where we'd be! We lose the game without him. That falling down in traffic bucket was big. So was that 19 foot jumper near the top of the key. So was, as always, just his mere presence. He's The Mountain, The Presence, The Man!
    Mark Few has certainly pushed all the right buttons at the right times since the loss to BYU. He deserves much more credit than he's been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Mark Few has certainly pushed all the right buttons at the right times since the loss to BYU. He deserves much more credit than he's been getting.
    Agreed.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Thank goodness the proper message was sent.....and look how they responded.

If Mark Few has learned anything this year, it is that the benching starters can be a useful tool.

Seriously, can anyone here recall when Few decided to play an obviously "hobbled Mallon (injured leg)" against the Calapari coached Memphis Tigers in Spokane Arena? His loyalty to the senior was commendable, but not conducive to winning. Few just had a penchant of playing guys even when they are obviously hurting the team. I believe he has evolved and what he did against Northwestern in the final 7 minutes is very reminiscent of what a Roy Williams might do. The positive reinforcement of winning might have completed the evolutionary process.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post

If Mark Few has learned anything this year, it is that the benching starters can be a useful tool.

Seriously, can anyone here recall when Few decided to play an obviously "hobbled Mallon (injured leg)" against the Calapari coached Memphis Tigers in Spokane Arena? His loyalty to the senior was commendable, but not conducive to winning. Few just had a penchant of playing guys even when they are obviously hurting the team. I believe he has evolved and what he did against Northwestern in the final 7 minutes is very reminiscent of what a Roy Williams might do. The positive reinforcement of winning might have completed the evolutionary process.
    hear what you're saying but would add Few and co. are much better and more equipped to matchup game to game, and have done so all year (the ISU game is a great example)
    but the greatest example is the defense I think, which used to be a Zag team that played defense pretty much the same game after game; they might go zone here or there, but it was the same zone, and the M2M might switch from going under screen rolls to switching in situations or key moments, but now you never know what you're gonna get from the Zags D game plan game to game, and those guys have been executing it against the matchups, game to game, different defenses and keys. Again last night a defensive gameplan to match the opponent, utilizing that zone with Shem in the middle for long stretches and extending it, then Zach on the floor for the final play for that matchup situation time and score, it's just fun to watch it all happening

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post

I don't know, Mick. I remember Zach Gourde on the bench @ the end of his last NCAA game. Zach had been All WCC 1st team his Soph. & Jr. years but mysteriously got the yips as a Sr. The most important game of his career, he was sitting in crunch time.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Agree great assessment
    Those pesky stats, always proving man crushes wrong ha ha. Perkins was great against WV, the least of any issues some think we had. And as for Karno, he isn't always easy on the eyes... Yet without him this team isn't still playing. He carried us at stretches last night, and remember Few doesn't exactly feed the bigs like he could. A gutty win, against all odds with how that game was called, played, but ended in a way that say it all. Big nuts!

My 2 cents.
    Agree.
    People are calling for big Collins and/or Goss coming out party vs Xavier.
    I say why not Perkins ? Why not us?

We all know what top level Perkins is capable of when knocking down that dime and making those sweet cross court/no look underneath passes to the big man for a standing dunk.

Perkins should be Mark Few key guy if Xavier runs zone all night long. Melson too, but I want Perkins to take on the load here (bring Melson in early for D, play Perkins with second unit so we can open up a lead with him, Z and Tillie.