Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Zags vs Northwestern Predictions/What do you want to see

We bring the #1 D against the #60 O.

Zags win by 18.

Default Da Italia

Have any of you ever tried to set up streaming from Italy? Let me tell you, the best thing is not to even try. However gametracker is not bad. This Gonzaga team is the best I remember since 1999 and should win comfortably, kind of like, ahem, Stanford should have won in Seattle's Key Arena in 1999. The crowd in SLC loves underdogs and they don't sit on their hands. I was there when we were cast in that role against another Wildcat team. Two overtimes, a shot that went in, came out and alas, thrilling almost, but not enough. Duke fans shouting, Lets Go Zags almost as vociferously as we did. Anyway, I digress...

My prediction is that there will be one less Wildcat team left. But beware Zag fans, pride goeth before a fall. Zag fans have become a bit too entitled and elitist from my perspective. Everywhere there are quicksand and traps in this tournament. The winners, I maintain, have maintained and will continue to maintain, play defense. You cannot count on staying hot. You cannot assume that one game we shoot badly, the next we will shoot well. Each event has the same odds of shooting as they are independent probabilities. Ergo, be careful about assuming that we will not shoot badly again. Just ask Creighton, they did it twice, against Villanova in the finals of the Big East and yesterday against Rhode Island. What do those two excellent teams share in common? DEFENSE!

If the Zags get out and guard the perimeter and forgo the prayer strategy of 3 point defense, if they challenge the passing lanes, in they switch on screens, and avoid fouling, they win by a dozen or so, no matter what their 3 point shooting is. If not, NW is capable of magic. They've already proven it. First they are there. Second, ask Vandy.

Good Luck Zags, and let's get back to being the "aw shucks, we're just glad to be here" kind of fans we used to be. The distinction between confidence and arrogance is one of degree.

Salatami Salt Lake City, Signing off from Tuscany,
    Sili

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Have any of you ever tried to set up streaming from Italy? Let me tell you, the best thing is not to even try. However gametracker is not bad. This Gonzaga team is the best I remember since 1999 and should win comfortably, kind of like, ahem, Stanford should have won in Seattle's Key Arena in 1999. The crowd in SLC loves underdogs and they don't sit on their hands. I was there when we were cast in that role against another Wildcat team. Two overtimes, a shot that went in, came out and alas, thrilling almost, but not enough. Duke fans shouting, Lets Go Zags almost as vociferously as we did. Anyway, I digress...

My prediction is that there will be one less Wildcat team left. But beware Zag fans, pride goeth before a fall. Zag fans have become a bit too entitled and elitist from my perspective. Everywhere there are quicksand and traps in this tournament. The winners, I maintain, have maintained and will continue to maintain, play defense. You cannot count on staying hot. You cannot assume that one game we shoot badly, the next we will shoot well. Each event has the same odds of shooting as they are independent probabilities. Ergo, be careful about assuming that we will not shoot badly again. Just ask Creighton, they did it twice, against Villanova in the finals of the Big East and yesterday against Rhode Island. What do those two excellent teams share in common? DEFENSE!

If the Zags get out and guard the perimeter and forgo the prayer strategy of 3 point defense, if they challenge the passing lanes, in they switch on screens, and avoid fouling, they win by a dozen or so, no matter what their 3 point shooting is. If not, NW is capable of magic. They've already proven it. First they are there. Second, ask Vandy.

Good Luck Zags, and let's get back to being the "aw shucks, we're just glad to be here" kind of fans we used to be. The distinction between confidence and arrogance is one of degree.

Sili
    Sili, happy feast of San Giuseppe. ������

Was monkeying with the SiriuxXM channels last night driving out of the city and couldn't find the NCAA tourney play-by-play...ended up on a sports talk station where the host was interviewing the Houston Rockets' GM (forgetting his name and too lazy to google it), who is an NU alum.

He wasn't making any predictions but said he had a friendly side-bet with Wiltj. I guess he has a reputation as a smack-talker (esp. when defending Harden and his team) and while he wouldn't be drawn out fully, he said he watched the SDSU game and said (I paraphrase) that he'd never seen a team more nervous than Gonzaga. He also said a few guys in the NU layup line for their game looked like they were going to vomit so he was certainly equal opportunity.

Hopefully we've now shaken off the rust, gotten over our jitters and fully embraced that Boone Avenue is now the equivalent of the Death Star. I'm in.

Zags 78
    NU 61
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I too wonder about Tillie.

I was going to start a new thread but then figured that the last thing the place needed was another thread.

But, why isn't Tillie getting more PT? He looks healthy. He's springy, he's an instant spark plug, really holds up the defensive end and is a sneaky good shooter. He NEEDS more PT.

At the risk of infuriating all the right people, would occasionally going with a line-up of NWG, Mathews, Tillie, J3 and Karno-Collins be so bad? I'm not saying bench anyone, but we've got to reignite. I don't think it's panicking. I think it's pragmatic, evolve or die, type of stuff. We've always wanted a long athletic "wing" player and then one walks in the door, but b/c he's real tall, he never gets the chance, no matter how much his skill set seems to invite it.
    It's not Tilley .... It's that Karnowski has LOTS of experience in NCAA games and these are his last games as a Zag. Few is pretty tight with seniors. Collins is playing pretty well right now too. Tilley just likely will not see all that much time in the NCAAs. It's super that we have Tilley. When Tilley is in he's going to turn some heads. If the Zags can get some comfy leads early - then we'll see more of Tilley.

Sili
    Sigh ....

We miss you.

I'm sorry to hear that the streaming is spotty there. Hopefully the internet service is reliable enough for you to start checking in far more often. You have a ton of friends here that miss you. Good to hear from you, grazie.

Ciao
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Zags 81
    NWrn 60

Go Zags! Get COY Mark Few his 500th W, then FF & more!

Zags 74-68

Where has our 3pt shooting gone?

Sili!

I thought we lost you all time to the soft song of a Jaybird. Quite the impressive chirp it has become, easy on the ears…and eyes. Their hue reminds me of our original attire, '99 to be exact. I see you have migrated overseas and heart strings are still attached; once a fan always a fan.

Magic is in the air! Whether its our destiny or theirs, will be determined.

Defense trumps cold shooting.

If there's one thing this year's team can count on -- defense. Which allows us a puncher's chance no matter the opponent.

Good to hear from you. They will be back and stronger than ever, losing their most important player hurt, but they never stopped fighting…still finished Top-3 in the deepest conference, imo.

Go Zags! Go Jays!
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Talked with a bunch of Northwestern Alums last night over drinks. They were all friendly and absolutely thrilled to be here. Their defense is designed to pack the paint and give up the open 3. Control McIntosh and control the Wildcats. They will have a tough time matching up with us at nearly every position and it is doubtful that they will be able to outscore us. BUT, they are fundamentally sound and will have the crowd behind them. I think we shoot better than we did on Thursday, but it will not be a quantum leap. Can we get off to a hot start and take the crowd out?

Dogs - 72
    Cats - 60

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    It's not Tilley .... It's that Karnowski has LOTS of experience in NCAA games and these are his last games as a Zag. Few is pretty tight with seniors. Collins is playing pretty well right now too. Tilley just likely will not see all that much time in the NCAAs. It's super that we have Tilley. When Tilley is in he's going to turn some heads. If the Zags can get some comfy leads early - then we'll see more of Tilley.
    I didn't say replace Shem at all, he's been a rock this year - though he didn't play that well last game. I hope he's not forcing his shot when double teamed, remember his real gift is moving the ball. And Collins was our best player last game, at least in the first half.

I'm talking about giving him time playing alongside those guys. Him being a frosh shouldn't factor into time. Only play. Sentimentality/loyalty are commendable, but secondary to Final Fours. Has to be or we'll always limit our chances. If you're arguing he's not brining as much as the others, ok - if true. But, if he's flying all over the place, blocking shots, rebounding, hitting shots (including 3s), we have to play him to maximize our play. The point is to win the game, not ensure we reward terms of service.

I
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

GU - 86
    NW -67

Zags 74
    Non-Zags. 63