Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: West Region = "The Academic Region"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    629

    Default West Region = "The Academic Region"

    The upper portion of the West region may as well be termed "The Academic Region". Are you kidding me look at all of those schools of elite level education = Gonzaga, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Princeton, Bucknell, maybe we should settle that upper portion of that region with an overal GPA score advances you to the Elite 8. That's actually pretty cool I think. I bet the selection committee did that on purpose. Good to see all of those high academic schools competing at a high level of division 1 hoops

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,569

    Default

    And most likely at all of those universities that education is more important than basketball. Grades come first. Gonzaga, I know, recruits players who put school first too.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Princeton kids were jumping around. Not that they got in, but that they go to Princeton.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Princeton kids were jumping around. Not that they got in, but that they go to Princeton.


    Good one

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Princeton kids were jumping around. Not that they got in, but that they go to Princeton.
    Sign huge pro contracts as soon as they graduate, good teams like Goldman, UBS, Deutsche hard to beat those teams.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Sign huge pro contracts as soon as they graduate, good teams like Goldman, UBS, Deutsche hard to beat those teams.
    Knee injuries an asset.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    The upper portion of the West region may as well be termed "The Academic Region". Are you kidding me look at all of those schools of elite level education = Gonzaga, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Princeton, Bucknell, maybe we should settle that upper portion of that region with an overal GPA score advances you to the Elite 8. That's actually pretty cool I think. I bet the selection committee did that on purpose. Good to see all of those high academic schools competing at a high level of division 1 hoops
    We have an Academic All American and an honors grad student. NWG has a 3.8 something career GPA and Karno I believe is carrying a 3.8. in his graduate studies. I bet we have the only Polish grad student in the tourney. Another record for Shemmick. Such a deal!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Knee injuries an asset.
    You know several of those guys will get hired because the 41 year old partner wants him on his company team. Knowing they're qualified anyway.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    The upper portion of the West region may as well be termed "The Academic Region". Are you kidding me look at all of those schools of elite level education = Gonzaga, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Princeton, Bucknell, maybe we should settle that upper portion of that region with an overal GPA score advances you to the Elite 8. That's actually pretty cool I think. I bet the selection committee did that on purpose. Good to see all of those high academic schools competing at a high level of division 1 hoops
    Ummm...no
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    315

    Default

    As someone that has spent a lot of time in the corporate recruiting field (and no offense to the Gonzaga grads) but in terms of academic reputation on a national level, Gonzaga isn't even in the same conversation as Princeton, Northwestern Vandy, or Notre Dame.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,307

    Default

    Damn this truck stop conference.






    " You gotta love the one who loves you "

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    As someone that has spent a lot of time in the corporate recruiting field (and no offense to the Gonzaga grads) but in terms of academic reputation on a national level, Gonzaga isn't even in the same conversation as Princeton, Northwestern Vandy, or Notre Dame.
    don't forget Bucknell

    just glad Nigel picked Gonzaga over Harvard
    Last edited by Zagceo; 03-12-2017 at 11:28 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    As someone that has spent a lot of time in the corporate recruiting field (and no offense to the Gonzaga grads) but in terms of academic reputation on a national level, Gonzaga isn't even in the same conversation as Princeton, Northwestern Vandy, or Notre Dame.
    ok, but it's GOTTA beat a west virginia degree - right?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    6,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    As someone that has spent a lot of time in the corporate recruiting field (and no offense to the Gonzaga grads) but in terms of academic reputation on a national level, Gonzaga isn't even in the same conversation as Princeton, Northwestern Vandy, or Notre Dame.
    Yeah, Gonzaga appears to be the outlier in that grouping. However I do like the company they keep and that can't hurt. My apologies to other Zag grads, they let me out of there with a degree and I've been dragging them down ever since.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,127

    Default

    You guys are right regarding our reputation nationally hasn't broken through yet. Regionally, however, everything has changed since the mid-90s. I know I likely wouldn't get in nowadays.

    The standards for incoming frosh have shot up, making all of our degrees move valuable and they have far more money to hire elite faculty.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    As someone that has spent a lot of time in the corporate recruiting field (and no offense to the Gonzaga grads) but in terms of academic reputation on a national level, Gonzaga isn't even in the same conversation as Princeton, Northwestern Vandy, or Notre Dame.
    I was going to say this as well. However, I think something that is overlooked is that while Gonzaga may not have the academic reputation, it's athletes are (in my somewhat outsiders' opinion) getting an actual education, which isn't the case at every school with a national reputation. Duke, for example, has a better reputation overall, but its basketball players aren't exactly the typical Duke students (this works for other schools like UNC, Michigan, etc...of that group, I'd estimate this is somewhat true at Vanderbilt as well). While I'm sure that's somewhat true of Gonzaga players as well, I don't think the disparity is as large. Most Gonzaga people I know believe the basketball players still attend class, still are expected to do the work, and are either academically equal or close to it with most of the students. I think the lack of disparity is what makes Princeton, Northwestern, Notre Dame (I know this from personal experience), Bucknell and...yes...also Gonzaga notable.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    6,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Yeah, Gonzaga appears to be the outlier in that grouping. However I do like the company they keep and that can't hurt. My apologies to other Zag grads, they let me out of there with a degree and I've been dragging them down ever since.
    It's not all on you, BD. I wasn't exactly a star student at GU. I did enough to graduate in 4 years...barely. For example, I turned in my senior thesis about an hour before the absolute drop-dead time.

    Up until Gonzaga became known nationwide for our hoops program, I can safely say that virtually no one in DFW had ever heard of Gonzaga.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    6,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    You guys are right regarding our reputation nationally hasn't broken through yet. Regionally, however, everything has changed since the mid-90s. I know I likely wouldn't get in nowadays.

    The standards for incoming frosh have shot up, making all of our degrees move valuable and they have far more money to hire elite faculty.
    Don't sell yourself short, Dixie. Don't forget that grade inflation has occurred nationwide. With the classes I took in HS, such as calculus and physics, my 3.6 back then would be the equivalent of a 4+ point in today's system. I had a high enough ACT score to put me in the 90th percentile, I'm sure you'd be up there too, if not higher.

    My first two weeks at GU was a mind bender. Seemed like everyone I talked to was either the valedictorian or salutatorian of their senior class.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    As someone that has spent a lot of time in the corporate recruiting field (and no offense to the Gonzaga grads) but in terms of academic reputation on a national level, Gonzaga isn't even in the same conversation as Princeton, Northwestern Vandy, or Notre Dame.
    Great...not only does the media hate GU but so does the corporate recruiting field...GU can't do anything right...#wheeloffortunefailhorn
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagobserver View Post
    I was going to say this as well. However, I think something that is overlooked is that while Gonzaga may not have the academic reputation, it's athletes are (in my somewhat outsiders' opinion) getting an actual education, which isn't the case at every school with a national reputation. Duke, for example, has a better reputation overall, but its basketball players aren't exactly the typical Duke students (this works for other schools like UNC, Michigan, etc...of that group, I'd estimate this is somewhat true at Vanderbilt as well). While I'm sure that's somewhat true of Gonzaga players as well, I don't think the disparity is as large. Most Gonzaga people I know believe the basketball players still attend class, still are expected to do the work, and are either academically equal or close to it with most of the students. I think the lack of disparity is what makes Princeton, Northwestern, Notre Dame (I know this from personal experience), Bucknell and...yes...also Gonzaga notable.
    YES! Research also comes down pretty strongly on several other counts, 1. Reputation can and often does exceed actual
    Performance/reality; Reputations, once established, can be extremely difficult to change,,,,,,,,,,,,,witness how long it's taking to shed GU's mid major, WCC rep! 2. In some, but not all fields, where you get your degree isn't all that important, 3. The many advantages that smaller universities and colleges offer often don't get fair consideration in rankings, 4. Rankings often include all aspects of a university's programs and degrees........A highly rated university may get a substantial % of its rating from its graduate programs, sometimes off-setting lower ratings in its undergraduate programs.

    There are other variables, but no one needs to worry about the standing of their degree from little old Gonzaga. 1st rate, period!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Great...not only does the media hate GU but so does the corporate recruiting field...GU can't do anything right...#wheeloffortunefailhorn
    Haha that is actually real funny

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,224

    Default

    Inside Higher Ed: The All Academic Men's Tournament Bracket

    Our annual look at who would win the NCAA's Division I men's basketball tournament if academics trumped athletic skill.

    Since 2006, we have determined the winner of the NCAA's basketball tournaments based on the academic performance of the competing teams.

    Introducing the 2017 Academic Performance Tournament, Inside Higher Ed's annual look at who would win the NCAA men's (and tomorrow, the women's) Division I basketball tournament if cognitive skills, not jump shots and vertical leap, won the day.
    Full bracket included at link. Gonzaga not only excels at basketball.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,516

    Default

    I am disappointed in the bracket...I would have liked to have seen Mich. State, Wichita State and UCLA and Butler...teams that we had some scores to settle ....

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,011

    Default

    The Bison!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,516

    Default

    Middle Tenn. would have been great in the west...... poor Huggins, he must be saying...not Gonzaga again !!!
    Last edited by bartruff1; 03-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •