Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 191

Thread: Coaching Carousel...

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Also remember that Seattle u nearly won the shining in 1958. I was but a young lad. Adolph Rupp cheated in the finals. They roughed up Baylor pretty badly and the refs swallowed their whistles. He played with a broken rib.

    In terms of coaches they should hire a young charismatic coach. I think Brandon Roy would be an excellent choice.
    And he's coaching the Porter kid, so would naturally take him with.

    But we don't play nobody.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Is Wayne Tinkle on the hot seat? I could see a hot mid-major market for him.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    Even with the bustling metropolis of El Paso an hour away?!

    Full disclosure, born in ELP
    Two of my three kids were born there. Stationed there for four years, actually had two stops there, one for Officers Basic. I love El Paso. Best Mexican food in the universe, there must be a thousand little "holes in the wall" along Alameda that have five star Mexican food.

    When it comes to sports, Bum Phillips wasn't that far off. During his short tenure as UTEP's football coach, he was heard to say, "Cain't recruit here." Really puts Haskins' achievements in perspective.

    NMSU is a tougher sell, as far as athletic recruiting goes. Then I look at a school like Pepperdine, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and shake my head.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    First game I went to with the future Mrs. TZF was at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces. It's a program with tradition, and great fan support. Las Cruces is a beautiful town, but it's tough to recruit there, it's in the middle of nowhere.
    Last time I drove through there in '14, it sure seemed as though there was no space between the two cities, much like Dallas & Ft. Worth is today...IMO it is just hard to recruit to either NMSU or UNM...

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Last time I drove through there in '14, it sure seemed as though there was no space between the two cities, much like Dallas & Ft. Worth is today...IMO it is just hard to recruit to either NMSU or UNM...
    I haven't been there in several years. I'm sure the drive on I-10 from EP to LC is usually congested. I remember when the eastern edge of EP ended at Lee Trevino Drive. It's at least 10 miles farther out now.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I haven't been there in several years. I'm sure the drive on I-10 from EP to LC is usually congested. I remember when the eastern edge of EP ended at Lee Trevino Drive. It's at least 10 miles farther out now.
    Traffic is crazy between the two...my first time driving through El Paso was in '71 and the city has just gotten larger than life...but do agree about all the mom and pops Mexican restaurants on Alameda...I could spend a month of Sundays on that street alone just eating and drinking beer.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,414

    Default

    Interesting to see John Rillie named first in this piece on the Dollar firing at Seattle U.

    https://cbbcentral.wordpress.com/201...ameron-dollar/

    There a few candidates that come to mind immediately when I consider this vacancy. One would be current Boise State assistant John Rillie. Rillie has helped lead Boise State to the top of the Mountain West despite being new to the conference, and has deep ties to the Pacific Northwest.

    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

    Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Is Wayne Tinkle on the hot seat? I could see a hot mid-major market for him.
    OSU had a terrible year, but I can't imagine he's on the hot seat already, a mere one season after guiding them to their first NCAA Tourney bid since Gary Payton played there (The Glove, not The Mitten).

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Also remember that Seattle u nearly won the shining in 1958. I was but a young lad. Adolph Rupp cheated in the finals. They roughed up Baylor pretty badly and the refs swallowed their whistles. He played with a broken rib.

    In terms of coaches they should hire a young charismatic coach. I think Brandon Roy would be an excellent choice.
    Sili, where the hell have you been ? I thought you would be talking smack about Creighton all season...

    As I recall, Baylor got a couple quick fouls and that was about it....I will never have any respect for Rupp..

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post

    In terms of coaches they should hire a young charismatic coach. I think Brandon Roy would be an excellent choice.
    Roy has 1 year of coaching hs, and that consisted of basically handing the ball to Porter, the best hs player I have ever seen live, and his group of elite transfers. I suppose he'd be a great recruiter, and his name would bring in players as Terry Porter's seems to be doing at Portland. If he hired a couple of top notch, experienced assistants maybe.

    But I wonder if Roy is basically a hobbyist coaching hs for something to do. He's got more money than his great great grandchildren will ever need, and might just enjoy being a hs coach for fun and to occupy his time and stay involved in the game. Just speculation, but who knows if he'd want to take on a tough project like SU.
    Last edited by maynard g krebs; 03-14-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Insert Terry Porter's first name for clarity

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    OSU had a terrible year, but I can't imagine he's on the hot seat already, a mere one season after guiding them to their first NCAA Tourney bid since Gary Payton played there (The Glove, not The Mitten).
    Injury bug really got them this year, IIRC.
    But we don't play nobody.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Injury bug really got them this year, IIRC.
    Yeah, his son Tres missed almost the entire season, assistant coach's son Thompson missed a handful of games, several other guys too. And I think they missed GPII even more than they thought they would.

    Another Thompson on the way next year, McLaughlin had his moments as a Fr. If Tinkle is back healthy next year they should definitely show improvement.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Lots of talk about Crean leaving Indiana for a "soft landing" job at Mizzou. He's not really on the hot seat, but is tired of all the job pressure.

    Have heard very little about the NC State job. I've heard Archie isn't likely to take it. He's waiting for a blue blood.

    Imagine trying to hire for the Alabama A&M job. Here's what we have to offer......11 straight road games and a bus to start off your season.
    Crean loses 1st round NIT game by 12 to Georgia Tech. That can't be good.
    But we don't play nobody.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bremerville
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Cuonzo Martin to Missouri, according to Goodman:


    Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanESPN

    Cuonzo Martin is in final stages of a 7-year deal with Missouri, source told ESPN.
    So, does Cal offer a truckload of cash to Randy Bennett?

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Wow, Cuonzo is a well traveled guy. Don't know if he was feeling some heat at Cal, but that seems like a demotion as bad as Mizzou has been. They have some history and tradition, but they've fallen so far. Mike Anderson and Haith were fairly successful but Kim Anderson has been a disaster!

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Cuonzo Martin to Missouri, according to Goodman:




    So, does Cal offer a truckload of cash to Randy Bennett?
    Other than geography, is there any reason to believe this is a possibility? Curious whether Bennett is like Few (recognizes a good thing when he has it) or if he'll jump ship for the money.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Wow, Cuonzo is a well traveled guy. Don't know if he was feeling some heat at Cal, but that seems like a demotion as bad as Mizzou has been. They have some history and tradition, but they've fallen so far. Mike Anderson and Haith were fairly successful but Kim Anderson has been a disaster!
    This move sounds crazy to me, Mizzou Athletics and the University in general are on the ropes right now.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    This move sounds crazy to me, Mizzou Athletics and the University in general are on the ropes right now.
    Closer to home, and $3+ mil a year for 7 years. Only way to go is up at Mizzou. Easier to do in the SEC than Pac 12, SEC's a football conference.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Closer to home, and $3+ mil a year for 7 years. Only way to go is up at Mizzou. Easier to do in the SEC than Pac 12, SEC's a football conference.
    Yeah but he's already been in the SEC at Tennessee, and got out of Dodge before he got fired there. He's had a bit of strange coaching career thus far. I think he's mediocre at best, he had a ton of talent at Cal last year and didn't do that much with it.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bremerville
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Other than geography, is there any reason to believe this is a possibility? Curious whether Bennett is like Few (recognizes a good thing when he has it) or if he'll jump ship for the money.
    Geography is the only reason. When the small school down the road is killing it, that seems like it would be hard to ignore.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    Rumor heating up that Romar is finished at UW. Sooner rather than later.
    I miss Mike Hart

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bremerville
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Goodman again:
    @GoodmanESPN

    Washington has parted ways with Lorenzo Romar, sources told ESPN.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Goodman again:
    Not sure how I feel about this .... I really enjoyed seeing him march his future NBA players into Spokane to sit on his hands and watch them get dismantled. I hope they don't hire someone that will put up a fight.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,072

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Tacoma
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    .
    .
    .
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    .
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    .
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •