Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel...

Possible SU candidates:
    Ken Bone
    Tony Dominguez - Western Washington
    Brad Jackson - UW (former WWU coach)
    Ryan Looney - Point Loma Nazarene (former SPU coach)

I think Ken Bone would be a terrific choice for SU. Done well everywhere but WSU, connected/respected in Seattle, brought D1 transfers to SPU when there.

He'd have them competing with NMSU/Bakersfield w/in 2 seasons imo.

Bone, definitely sound like a good option.

Seattle U. needs a new gym before it needs a new coach, but unfortunately, they are going to need to hire a new coach first. I just don't know how many takers there are going to be for a team with a wonderful past that plays in a city owned arena where the university gets zero money from concessions and has to play around $10,000 in rent per game. Trust me, it's very hard for any basketball program to build a consistent winner in those financial circumstances.

Meanwhile, NMSU is a NCAA tournament regular...partly because they play in a nice, comfy 12,000 seat on campus arena in a city where they are the only game in town.

Facilities matter. You wouldn't believe how much more money Gonzaga makes by playing their games at the Kennel as opposed to the Spokane Arena, despite the fact that the city arena is double the capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Seattle U. needs a new gym before it needs a new coach, but unfortunately, they are going to need to hire a new coach first. I just don't know how many takers there are going to be for a team with a wonderful past that plays in a city owned arena where the university gets zero money from concessions and has to play around $10,000 in rent per game. Trust me, it's very hard for any basketball program to build a consistent winner in those financial circumstances.

Meanwhile, NMSU is a NCAA tournament regular...partly because they play in a nice, comfy 12,000 seat on campus arena in a city where they are the only game in town.
    Bone made back to back NCAA's playing in PSU's high school gym (pretty much literally; holds 12 or 1400?). Seattle's home for him. Do you think he'd pass if offered?

SU might get a new arena regardless of their preferences. Seattle City Council seems intent on tearing down Key Arena and replacing it with some sort of high tech Hockey / NBA facility instead of allowing Chris Hansen to build his proposed Hockey / NBA facility in SODO. If that happens, and if SU can fit their schedule to share an arena with the theoretical new Seattle NHL and NBA teams, SU will have a fancy venue, but I doubt that it will work for them. And if the tear down / rebuild of Key Arena does not happen, my money says it closes within 2 years.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Hayford from Whitworth took the EWU job a few years ago, not sure his replacement has done enough yet to make that much noise.
    Hmm. Not sure what you mean about that. Matt Logie's record at Whitworth is like 151-25. He was the fastest to 100 wins in D3 history and has made the NCAA tournament every year. Ask Mark Few what he thinks about the current Whitworth staff and I think you would be surprised by the amount of respect he has for the program and what they have done particulary with zero athletic scholarships to give.

Logie has D1 experience as a player and assistant coach ( He is credited with recruiting CJ MCcollum to Lehigh.), is a Seattle native with lots of local connections (His grandfather is the winningest high school coach in WA state history.) To be honest, I'd be surprised if his name wasn't in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Cool! I saw they got to the Elite 8 this year.
    Not this year. Lost in the first round.

Whitman is in the Final Four and still undefeated! Beat Whitworth three times this year. Prominent alums are me, Tommy Lloyd, Adam West, and William O. Douglass.

Ah jeez, I'm getting Whitworth and Whitman mixed up. My bad.

William O. Douglass--I've hiked in his namesake Wilderness Areas a few times.

Duquesne now open.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Not this year. Lost in the first round.

Whitman is in the Final Four and still undefeated! Beat Whitworth three times this year. Prominent alums are me, Tommy Lloyd, Adam West, and William O. Douglass.
    Yep Whitman had their number this year because they are a really good team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win it all. That would be a really good thing for D3 hoops in the west seeings how D3 hoops is just out numbered by eastern and midwestern teams.

To Coach Creen: Yes, there's a lot of pressure in that job, for sure. However, you can beat a lot of it off if you simply make the tournament. Anyway, g2g, I suggest you try it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I think we at GU have a conflict of interest when it comes to the SU program. GU does some decent recruiting in Seattle and a significantly improved SU basketball program might eventually interfere with GU recruiting in the region. But other than the potential impact on GU recruiting, I would love to see SU become a serious BB power. They are located in one of the great cities in the US, they have a very nice campus and a great educational system, they are located near some of the powerhouse employers in the USA (Amazon anyone?), and I would love to see them back as a top 50 team in the next couple years.

See you in SLC - Go Bulldogs!
    It has been 27 years since I graduated from GU. I have no connection to any kind of rivalry with SU. There has been no connection between the schools for nearly half a century.

Unless SU does something quick, the rivalry and affinity between the two schools is dead.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I think we at GU have a conflict of interest when it comes to the SU program. GU does some decent recruiting in Seattle and a significantly improved SU basketball program might eventually interfere with GU recruiting in the region. But other than the potential impact on GU recruiting, I would love to see SU become a serious BB power. They are located in one of the great cities in the US, they have a very nice campus and a great educational system, they are located near some of the powerhouse employers in the USA (Amazon anyone?), and I would love to see them back as a top 50 team in the next couple years.

See you in SLC - Go Bulldogs!
    Who have we recruited from the area...Gary bell and?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Ah jeez, I'm getting Whitworth and Whitman mixed up. My bad.

William O. Douglass--I've hiked in his namesake Wilderness Areas a few times.
    There is a legendary tale about William O when he was an undergrad. In the 19 teens he was mad about the dorm rules so he lived in a tent in the middle of campus for a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDaddy View Post
    Yep Whitman had their number this year because they are a really good team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win it all. That would be a really good thing for D3 hoops in the west seeings how D3 hoops is just out numbered by eastern and midwestern teams.
    Whitman is also a highly respected academic college.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Steven gray

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Steven gray
    Kispert?

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Bone made back to back NCAA's playing in PSU's high school gym (pretty much literally; holds 12 or 1400?). Seattle's home for him. Do you think he'd pass if offered?
    It's possible, but the WAC is a better league than the Big Sky. Even if Bone were to bite, how long would he stay there if he succeeded??

And unlike Seattle U., Portland State doesn't have to pay rent and collects money on all concessions at their tiny gym.

The best possible scenario for their program is to have a facility they can call their own that they own. Maybe a Bone hire could put the wheels in motion to get that started?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    ...Dickau and Williams-Goss. Hey-o!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

SU might get a new arena regardless of their preferences. Seattle City Council seems intent on tearing down Key Arena and replacing it with some sort of high tech Hockey / NBA facility instead of allowing Chris Hansen to build his proposed Hockey / NBA facility in SODO. If that happens, and if SU can fit their schedule to share an arena with the theoretical new Seattle NHL and NBA teams, SU will have a fancy venue, but I doubt that it will work for them. And if the tear down / rebuild of Key Arena does not happen, my money says it closes within 2 years.
    SU cannot afford the rent to play in such an arena, if it is ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

Facilities matter. You wouldn't believe how much more money Gonzaga makes by playing their games at the Kennel as opposed to the Spokane Arena, despite the fact that the city arena is double the capacity.
    First game I went to with the future Mrs. TZF was at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces. It's a program with tradition, and great fan support. Las Cruces is a beautiful town, but it's tough to recruit there, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    First game I went to with the future Mrs. TZF was at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces. It's a program with tradition, and great fan support. Las Cruces is a beautiful town, but it's tough to recruit there, it's in the middle of nowhere.
    Even with the bustling metropolis of El Paso an hour away?!

Full disclosure, born in ELP

Also remember that Seattle u nearly won the shining in 1958. I was but a young lad. Adolph Rupp cheated in the finals. They roughed up Baylor pretty badly and the refs swallowed their whistles. He played with a broken rib.

In terms of coaches they should hire a young charismatic coach. I think Brandon Roy would be an excellent choice.

Duquesne now open.
    Thanks cat.
    But we don't play nobody.